9 replies to this topic

#1 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

I've always love love loved Eleanor's Bake Shop and can't get enough cupcakes. Their bread though is absolutely amazing, but I am not going to drive 30 minutes for a loaf of bread no matter how good it is. So, bored and on facebook far past when I should be in bed and to my surprise I notice that they have posted a nice tutorial because they have begun selling their flour blend in their shop. I'm definitely going to head up soon for some flour, but thought that this might be a nice video for anyone having issues with bread. It's idiot proof enough even for me! Maybe I'll finally bake a bread product that turns out as something other than bricks I wouldn't dare use to poison my worst enemy or feed to the obnoxious dog next door that won't stop barking.

http://www.eleanorsb...bread-tutorial/

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

Hi Adalaide, do you know if a hand mixer would work to make this and do you know if she ships her flour? I have not attempted to make bread yet and think I might actually be able to make this. Maybe I will ask Santana for a stand mixer for Christmas.

Thanks for putting up the tutorial. It's what I need to bake things cuz I don't have the experience to tweak.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

To the best of my knowledge, she just uses a flour blend like everyone else. I highly doubt they do any shipping, but I can ask when I stop in. It will probably be sometime next week.

I do have experience. I grew up baking bread literally every Saturday of my life until I was 9 and every other after that until I was 16. Still, gluten free bread just doesn't act like BREAD. I have a KitchenAid, I wouldn't live without it. I shared because I felt like the first time that bread is within my capabilities. Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to make something mildly edible.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

I think they do ship. They ave an email on their site

http://www.eleanorsbakeshop.com/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Thank you, Adalaide and Karen. I will email her with my ?'s.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

The video is interesting! I have never seen any baker just dip into the flour bag for gluten-free, usually the ingredients are weighed on a scale..the bread turned out nice..

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

For the true test I would have liked to have seen her slice the bread. I'd love to see the texture and how it holds together. When I make breads I like to slice a line all across the top slightly on the side so it rises better and looks so gorgeous and rustic. And European. :P

So, Adelaide, how DOES it taste? What is the texture like? Is it great toasted?

Surprised she does not weigh - weighing is far more accurate.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

I've never had it toasted. The last time I had it was before I had a toaster and my toaster recently met a glorious demise. (My MIL moved it from my gluten-free counter to her gluten counter and while I'm quite sure it wasn't used she is obsessed with wiping things with her nasty sponge that sits on the back of the sink for 2-3 months at a time. The toaster met the concrete wall in the back yard, I am still nursing a hand injury. Who knew I could throw that far!) Anywho... It finds that perfect balance between soft and firm. I grew up making bread every week so I am used to a good, dense loaf and love it that way. I like bread with substance. It holds together as well as can be expected for sandwiches... so not at all. Although I'm sure it would do so toasted like all other bread does. It isn't far from an Udi's or Rudi's in texture to be perfectly honest but the taste is really great. I'll need her recipe for the honey oat bread.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

I've never had it toasted. The last time I had it was before I had a toaster and my toaster recently met a glorious demise. (My MIL moved it from my gluten-free counter to her gluten counter and while I'm quite sure it wasn't used she is obsessed with wiping things with her nasty sponge that sits on the back of the sink for 2-3 months at a time. The toaster met the concrete wall in the back yard, I am still nursing a hand injury. Who knew I could throw that far!) Anywho... It finds that perfect balance between soft and firm. I grew up making bread every week so I am used to a good, dense loaf and love it that way. I like bread with substance. It holds together as well as can be expected for sandwiches... so not at all. Although I'm sure it would do so toasted like all other bread does. It isn't far from an Udi's or Rudi's in texture to be perfectly honest but the taste is really great. I'll need her recipe for the honey oat bread.

As always, I enjoy your wit. ;)

I know what you mean about bread with substance - that is how I like mine, too, except for baguettes. Sounds like a winner considering it tastes so good. Hmmmm...I bet I would enjoy it, too. The honey oat sounds great. I've been doing a schwack of experimenting again and have a good honey oat bread recipe, though I'm sure hers will be just as good.

The most recent bread I made actually held together. Well. It didn't rip and tear and do the funky chicken when I spread thick gooey stuff on it. It tasted yeasty and had that oomph I've been searching for.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I'm wondering if toaster tossing could be an official celiac sport? Just thinking about it hitting the concrete feels good. I'd quite like to do that to DHs toaster. Not a fan of being in a mixed house :(
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: