5 replies to this topic

#1 beckyboo40

beckyboo40

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

I believe my nine month old may be sensitive to gluten. When he has limited amounts like oatmeal he seems ok but when he has more like cheerios he is grumpy and does not sleep well. he is also a clingy baby. He has moments when he is happy and plays but others when he is miserable and nothing makes him happy. My husband does not agree that is can be gluten causing this,but I also have eczema and headaches and my daughter had mysterious leg pain as a small child, asthma and now some headaches and visual disturbance. Does anyone have advice on convincing a spouse to go gluten free? and feeding a growing baby?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

I believe my nine month old may be sensitive to gluten. When he has limited amounts like oatmeal he seems ok but when he has more like cheerios he is grumpy and does not sleep well. he is also a clingy baby. He has moments when he is happy and plays but others when he is miserable and nothing makes him happy. My husband does not agree that is can be gluten causing this,but I also have eczema and headaches and my daughter had mysterious leg pain as a small child, asthma and now some headaches and visual disturbance. Does anyone have advice on convincing a spouse to go gluten free? and feeding a growing baby?

testing, testing, testing......

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Always do testing before commiting to the diet. Since you have children, it will be important for future accomodations at school if the test returns as a positive.

#4 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

...but, find a knowledgeable doc to do the testing. And be aware that false negatives are common in very young children. If both you and your daughter are still eating gluten, you should both get tested. If your SO is sceptical, I'd likely not test my 9 mo old unless he understood the likelihood of a false negative.

#5 beckyboo40

beckyboo40

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

WE will see his pediatrician on tiesday and I will talk to her... she was very understanding as an infant he was not tolerant of most formula(or breast milk) but i never thought it might be gluten that was bothering his tummy. Yesterday my MIL gave him a ritz cracker and her was awake a good portion of the night ( not really crying just complaining) my husband still doesn't think its a link to gluten. He is not small and is chunky too so he says see he is ok. But i am trusting my instincts on this. My daughter has had headaches and slpit second vision blackouts for almost a year with no diagnoses or answers just test all come back normal I will ask about her too.

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Testing is your best option here, and as quickly as you can.

Keep in mind testing is less accurate in patients under 24 months. There may be more food sensitivities than just gluten. Several disorders/ diseases present with similar symptoms.

Keep a food journal. Monitor food amounts, ingredients, symptoms, and BMs and if possible airborn allergy counts.
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: