This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Will My Children Be Celiac?

Skittles

Skittles Enthusiast

I don't have any children yet but when I do I was just wondering what the odds are of them having celiac too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

I believe the current statistics show 1 in 22 - it depends on so many factors.

If you are curious, you could have yourself gene tested. I have a pair of one set of genes which means all of my children have at least one celiac gene. Even if your children inherit a celiac gene it does not mean they will develop Celiac Disease. About 30% of the population carry celiac genes - yet only an estimated 1% of the population develop Celiac Disease.

Skysmom03 Newbie

My husband and son both have celiac. I think those odds are a bit off. It is genetic so you could walk around with it and never know until something triggers it.

GottaSki Mentor

My husband and son both have celiac. I think those odds are a bit off. It is genetic so you could walk around with it and never know until something triggers it.

I agree with this as all of my kids and both grands have Celiac Disease or NCGI. But again, I have several copies of genes and my husband is a non-celiac carrier.

The point is that while many families have several celiacs, there are others with only one. Additionally, it seems more of us may be triggered by present day food supply than previous generations.

Personally, I think a Mom diagnosed before her children are born is in a wonderful position to provide the best possible food for her children - thus giving them the best shot for a long healthful life :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

I think the studies are totally off on this. BOTH of my kids ended up having celiac. My mom has it, three of her siblings have it, I'm fairly positive that my brother's two kids have it, my sister's daughter has it--get my drift? Even though the official nonsense says that it's 1 out of 22 who get it, it seems a lot more common than that. If you have celiac, just make certain your household is gluten free. Your kids can eat gluten outside of the home....and if it ends up being a problem for them, then you'll have your answer.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I was diagnosed at age 49... the only one in my small immediate family and my small extended family. About 4 years later, my second daughter was diagnosed at about age 28. Third daughter was diagnosed a few years later at age 27 and spent more than a year w/ the most severe symptoms and dietary restrictions I've ever heard of until she's been able to bring more foods back into her diet. First daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago... all in the family.

Skittles Enthusiast

Very interesting! How do I do a gene test?

I believe the current statistics show 1 in 22 - it depends on so many factors.

If you are curious, you could have yourself gene tested. I have a pair of one set of genes which means all of my children have at least one celiac gene. Even if your children inherit a celiac gene it does not mean they will develop Celiac Disease. About 30% of the population carry celiac genes - yet only an estimated 1% of the population develop Celiac Disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Your doctor can order blood tests for Celiac genes. I've also seen folks on this board that have had it done through private companies.

There are drawbacks to gene testing

• most U.S. doctors test for DQ2 and DQ8 only
  • there are other genes associated with Celiac Disease and NCGI
  • it is possible to have positive antibodies and/or positive biopsy without any of the associated genes

There are likely more drawbacks that I'm not thinking of right now.

As long as you are aware that these tests are only an indication rather than concrete information they can be worth while.

rosetapper23 Explorer

The problem with gene testing is that 30-40 percent of Americans carry one or both celiac genes. Celiac occurs after it's been triggered, so you may carry the gene but never develop celiac. Therefore, to me the testing seems irrelevant.

GottaSki Mentor

We found it helpful in my family as my kids were all testing negative - all with different symptoms -- my gene testing was an important piece of the puzzle for them. Honestly, it was my celiac doc suggested it when we were frustrated with the diagnosis process of my children. I never would have been tested without his suggestion.

Again - it is not conclusive information - but is another piece of the puzzle.

Kate79 Apprentice

Maybe. In my family, there are only a few of us diagnosed - me, two of my aunts, and one of my cousin's children. I don't have any kids and my parents are are not diagnosed as celiac (though my mother refuses to get tested, and it's her sisters who have it, so who knows). One celiac aunt has five children, none of whom are diagnosed celiac. The other aunt has two sons. One son doesn't have it; the other probably does but refuses to get tested - and his oldest son has celiac.

I think there is more celiac disease in my family then we know of - but since many of these relatives refuse to get testing done, it's hard to be sure. At any rate, it's not a done deal that your kids would get celiac. Even if they inherit celiac genes from you, they may never develop the disease - but at least they'll be aware of it and you'll know to keep an eye on them.

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Hi

Not much help - but I'm sure I have read somewhere that in Norway (or somewhere in Scandinavia :ph34r: ) due to the higher incidence of celiac it is now recommended that babies and young children are gluten free. This apparently gives you a better chance of tolerating gluten in later life!

My eldest brother has celiac, my other brother has had seizures and spaced out problems (celiac ?) but will have none of it!

Pretty sure my Dad has and lots of auto immune probs in his family and I think my mum had DH.

I think my son has celiac but at the moment he just won't wear it.

I have Irish ancestors.

May possibly be completely crazy, of course :ph34r: .

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Just thought I should point out that my paragraph about celiac in Scandinavia is not intended to be a fact.

Personally though, if I had a baby (too old by the way) I would not now give it any gluten and even when older believe that it should present very little of any diet.

Then again - I'm a pretty anti-gluten person.

Archived