3 replies to this topic

#1 TDL363

TDL363

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Have been sick for over 30 years....thought it was MSG but recently found out I am celiac. I have read many articles that link MSG to wheat....many sites list items to avoid because they are another name for MSG (anything hydrolyzed). People DON'T EAT IT...DEFINITE LINK TO WHEAT INTOLERANCE. I have not heard of anyone with celiac or gluten intolerance that can tolerate MSG . Don't say it is Celiac safe... that statement is NOT TRUE

MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE (MSG)
Monosodium glutamate is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, an amino acid present in virtually all proteins, including meats, vegetables, poultry, cheese, cow's milk, and human milk.
The process for producing MSG imported from some parts of world cannot be confirmed. MSG could be produced from wheat gluten in those areas.
It is therefore recommended that Celiac- Sprue patients exercise caution in using this ingredient.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

MSG can be extracted from any protein. It occurs naturally in every protein as as glutamic acid. When the protein is broken down, the glutamate gets loose. If it finds sodium, it bonds, forming Monosodium Glutamate.

Some people, including some celiacs, react to concentrated MSG. But it has nothing to do with celiac disease. If MSG is derived from wheat, in the US it must by federal law be clearly disclosed as "wheat" on the label. Canada has a similar rule.

Hydrolyzed protein, like any protein, is a source of MSG. Again, in the US (and in Canada) if the protein is wheat protein (gluten), then the word "wheat" must appear on the label.

There are things we need to worry about. MSG is definitely not one of them.

If you have a credible source that says otherwise, please provide a link.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

Your confusion is likely the same as my own was early on. This was brought on be old information that is no longer relevant (due to today's labeling laws) and information that is relevant only in other parts of the world not really saying such boldly. As Peter pointed out, here in North America we have nothing to fear from MSG, at least in the celiac sense. I understand it can trigger migraines but that is completely unrelated.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

In the U.S. it should be labeled if the MSG was derived from wheat.

So the PC way to say this is read the label and know the label laws the country of origin for the product.

That being said some people are sensitive/intolerant to MSG. If it makes you sick, don't eat it.
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: