#1 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hi all
Anyone get probs with sugar and symptoms.

It's not really coming as any suprise to me but I can't have sugar either.
I don't take sugar in drinks, etc - my only weakness is choc :ph34r: which I mainly avoid because of the soy. Have just been reading the soy posts and have to add more symptoms which I suspect are from the sugar.

Rapid heartbeat (got to be from sugar)! followed by chest pain on exercise (angina type but not severe) and sort of laboured breathing - kind of heavy. Add to this a sense of stressiness (new word).

The laboured breathing is while sitting still but worse with exercise.

I do not get these symptoms normally - I have had a bag of Minstrels about an hour ago - supposed to be gluten free but I have a deep suspicion of all 'gluten free' products that are out there generally (as opposed to specifically produced). Can't eat them either, so G knows why I ate the above :ph34r: .

I'm rambling - possibly another symptom ???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

Answering my own posts now - just starting a headache :wacko: .

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

I have hypo glycemia I have known for years, and am used to avoiding sugar. If I have sugar my bladder is irritated the next day. It probably causes fatigue also, but I have never thought about it or tried it alone.

#4 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

I have the bladder issue with sugar too. About 20-30 min after eating sugar, my face (on the sides of my nose) gets bright red and starts to sting a little. Then my scalp starts to flake and itch like crazy. Usually followed by headache the next day (base of skull) and fatigue.

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

I can't eat processed sugar either. I don't have problem with sugar beets or a certain brand of honey, so I can still get a bit of a sweet fix. I was wondering if it is something about the processing or the sugar itself so I grew hardy sugar cane. I got so little sugar out of it that I still don't know, but it is a nice ornamental grass for my garden.

#6 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

In what way is your bladder irritated - if that isn't a stupid question?

This is the end of the line with me for sugar - I have been following a paleo/scd type diet for about a week quite strictly so eating that choc made the symptoms very clear for me. It's no good, I just can't eat it - no real surprise actually. I think I'm a particularly slow learner :unsure: . Luckily, I don't generally have sugar things.

#7 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

In my case, both sugar and soy do the same. As a chocoholic, this was a trauma. But you may want to try either hot chocolate (made with real cocoa and whatever dairy/non-dairy milk you choose), or a high percentage chocolate, like those by Domori or the Lindt 99% (I like that stuff because it does not have the acidity that sometimes is tied to excess sugar). Ever since getting back on extra-dark chocolate, tasting sugary chocolate has suddenly become unsatisfying and disappointing.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

I can do agave or honey -- others avoid agave.

I make a yummy chocolate mousse regularly - it is my go to sweet fix

Cocoa, Coconut Oil, Almond Milk, Almond Butter, Agave and a touch of vanilla in the blender.

I've been playing with the measurements for about a month - the almond milk is a recent addition and really made it creamy.

For those that are really intolerant of processed items like me -- I make the almond milk with just water and without the straining step for use in mousse and some other recipes -- saves a lot of work.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

I have been grain free for a couple weeks now, and before that was 95% sugar free.
I do occasionally use honey with no repercussions. My sugar issues are very direct-
I eat sugar, and the lymph glands in my neck swell up the next day like they do with
the first day of a cold, and I get very fatigued. Sugar definitely affects the immune
system. I will be grain free for a while, trying to control stress induced inflammation
right now, but will give quinoa and rice a shot in a couple of months. When I just can't
take it anymore with the no sweets, I'll either fry up some diced apples in butter and
add a bunch of cinnamon and nutmeg, or sometimes I'll make hot cocoa with milk,
honey, cocoa, maple syrup, and cinnamon and nutmeg. Probably only add a spoonful
each of honey and maple syrup. And maybe some half n half... :ph34r:
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#10 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

If you do try chocolate again, try the enjoy life brand. The mega chunks are great an much cheaper than the candy bars. It"s the only chocolate i can eat without getting sick. It"s gluten,soy,dairy,nut free. I admitt i eat it by the bag fulls :D
You"ll likely have to get it at your local health food store or coop
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#11 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

...I hate to be a worry-wort, but a lot of what you described can also be SERIOUS heart issues! I just had a family member die (young) from a heart attack and a year ago a friend's brother died of a heart attack...in memory of two who lost their lives to bad hearts, I wish, wish, wish you would rule out any possible heart issues :)

Thinking of you (and hoping it's just that annoying sugar!)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: