3 replies to this topic

#1 Mayasmum

Mayasmum

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

We are looking to go to Florida in April, flying the parents over from England, and am wondering how to go about finding the best place to go that will cater to our gluten-free/DF needs......
we will be driving from VA, and I can bring the normal boxes of food, etc that we normally have to travel with, but we will be staying in a hotel/house/who knows what for a week.
Thanks for any pointers!
Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

My first suggestion, coming from a super-sensitive position, is to get a hotel with kitchen.  If that doesn't work, bring cooking gear with you.  I can fit an electric skillet, and utensils in my carry-on. Do you eat out when you are around home because I won't even consider it? I can cook meat and veges at the same time in my skillet.  I have cooked in a hotel room for up to 7 people.  It can be done.

I would pack food for the plane.  I would bring canned chicken, canned fish, or hard boiled eggs.  I would bring gluten free muffins.  I would bring carrot sticks and fruit.  Some people like gluten free beef jerky.  I would take some nuts.  You can travel with some food.

Make a list now and start planning.  I keep my list and recently posted it.  One has to decide, with limited luggage space, what to take and what to buy when you arrive.  After you return, add anything to your list that you forgot, and delete any item you found you didn't use.  Next trip, you will have a list to start with.

Bon Voyage!

#3 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

We've had good luck with VRBO.com    

We've rented small houses with kitchens, loaded up the cooler in the car. Also bring our own cutting board, colander, skillet, sauce pan, spatula.  I sometimes make food ahead and freeze it. It keeps the cooler cold and I don't have to cook quite as much. 

We've occasionally stayed in 'extended-stay" hotels but renting is often a really good value and more comfortable. 

The electric skillet idea is interesting! 

When we stay in hotel rooms with a fridge, we can get a lot done in a microwave with a covered silicone steamer.   Not perfect, but will do in a pinch. 

#4 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

She was going last April, so I hope she had a nice time and found a good place to stay.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: