#1 nickymacd

nickymacd

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi All

Firstly, thanks for all the support as my endoscopy approached. I was booked in yesterday morning. Nurse explained everything and also offered me a new procedure which is to put the scope in via a nostril. Initially I was not in favour of it but when she said it meant less gagging and the ability to talk during the procedure I agreed. Unfortunately, the scope couldn't go down so they had to change tac and go down thru the throat. The throat spray worked its magic but I did find my body naturally trying to reject the scope. After the procedure the doc said 'You've done very well - now we've taken a couple of biopsies of the wee lump in your throat which we'll send away for investigation. Try not to worry they nearly always come back benign and it (the lump) is very small. Also there is some slight inflammation of your stomach lining."

I was absolutely stunned. I didn't know anything about this 'wee lump'. However, I held it together enough to say, 'OK. What about the ceoliac?' to which I was greeted with a completely blank look followed with, 'We weren't investigating ceoliac.' Very quickly followed with a look at my notes, profuse apologies and being told I could either have it done now or come back. So, given I was there and had no wish to return I had it done again! Once finished, more apologies and told that in terms of ceoliac things looked Ok but would need to wait for biopsy results. In the meantime keep eating gluten...

What a day! I'm trying not to panick about the 'wee lump' but I have to say that I spent most of the rest of yesterday in a daze!

Nicky

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Well, you certainly didn't get a straightforward one there. It is definitely odd having the throat spray. Sounds like you had a similar response to the tube. Thank goodness you asked about the celiac, it sounds like you wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

It's hard to explain the spaced out thing, but sounds like you had it...

Good it is all done, hopefully you'll get some good news about the lump soon.

I wonder why they have you still on gluten - do you have more testing?
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 nickymacd

nickymacd

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Well, you certainly didn't get a straightforward one there. It is definitely odd having the throat spray. Sounds like you had a similar response to the tube. Thank goodness you asked about the celiac, it sounds like you wouldn't be in a hurry to go back.

It's hard to explain the spaced out thing, but sounds like you had it...

Good it is all done, hopefully you'll get some good news about the lump soon.

I wonder why they have you still on gluten - do you have more testing?

Hi and thanks.

I don't think the spray to numb the throat is unusual. I believe it's standard practise here. I'm not clear why still on gluten either - there was talk of needing to have a colonoscopy, so that might be why. The whole matter is rather bizarre I think. I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see what comes of the lump biopsies and the ceoliac biopsies but it's certainly not a procedure I am keen to repeat again without sedation.

Cheers

Nicky

#4 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

They may have mixed you up with another patient who has more than a 'wee' lump in their throat.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

Eek I had throat spray which was ok. It didn't hurt but wasn't fun. Drugs do odd things to me so rather put up with it.

All sounds very mixed up, make sure you get the right results.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: