8 replies to this topic

#1 Mgyoung77

Mgyoung77

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have been gluten free right at a week now. I've had a pretty positive attitude towards having to give up gluten. I was thinking atleast I will feel better! Before I was told I had celiac, my hemoglobin was tested and it was very low. I immediately started iron supplements. I have been so tired and have had no enrgy. Completing the simple daily task I need to complete as a mom each day seem impossible. While I can somewhat tell a difference going gluten free, I still don't have nomenergy. Yesterday, my husband brought a bag of rolls and some brownies left over from work. he then went tomchurch and brout home a bag of turkey and a bag of stuffing home from our church thanksgiving dinner. I'm the only one in the housethatneats stuffing. I want to eat the turkey but I'm afraid of cross contamination. Then today, my daughter made Mac and cheese with tuna in it for lunch, one of my favorites. Now I have this strong urge to be "bad" and eat something I shouldn't have. I'm too tired to go the extra mile in preparing "safe foods" right now. Thank you for letting me vent.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

You could wait until after Thanksgiving to go 100% gluten-free. A few more days probably won't hurt much. But gluten might actually make you feel worse at this point too. Have you tried Tinkyada brand rice pasta? Tinkyada is fairly inexpensive and many people like it.

People are going to be eating gluten all around you for the rest of your life. The whole planet is overrun with gluten eaters. Mostly they are harmless, just a little annoying at times. It's the donut eaters you have to watch out for. Who can tell what kind of person would like to eat a piece of bread with a big hole in the middle of it? Strange people, you betcha.

When I started gluten-free I used to make large batches of rice and veggies and meat on the weekends. Froze most in small plastic bags. Every weekend I would make a different version. So I had a variety of easy to warm up meals in a few minutes. Later I used quinoa instead of rice or a mixture of both. You can also use buckwheat or amaranth, millet, nuts, dried fruit etc. Rice is actually not that good for you as it is just dead calories. Maybe try a version with chicken, coconut milk and cinnamon. Not bad stuff.

Super Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?
http://www.celiac.co...l-ideas-anyone/

Thread For gluten-free, Dairy, Soy, Corn And Nightshade Free Recipes
http://www.celiac.co...e-free-recipes/
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'm sorry you're feeling down. It IS hard in the begining and most everyone goes through a "mourning phase". I hope your family can get a good perspective about what you have to deal with.

I generally do all the cooking at home and it's always gluten free. Unless I have company for spaghetti or serve bread for my guests. My family knows the safety rules when they bring in gluten.

Alway, keep in mind that you're doing this so you can be healthy again and enjoy your life to the fullest. And don't deprive youself too much. Sounds like you're in need of a hot fudge sunday or something special to perk up your day.

It does get better. Stick with us...we'll get you though it. And welcome! :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Mgyoung77

Mgyoung77

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I do not expect my family to always give up gluten. Any meal I cook will be gluten free though. My husband did bring me a Frosty. It was a nice unhealthy but safe treat.

#5 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

It can be very difficult for family members to understand the issues that can come about because of the gluten ingestion. Has he been to a drs appt with you or have you talked about the side effects and health implications with him? It will be an adjustment for your family as well so this will be something you will need to work at together. Start with telling him how it makes you feel when he brings those things home that you can't have.

#6 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

(hugs) Those first weeks are HARD! And when you add in grumpiness and feeling poorly from withdrawl, it's just an overall bad time. :( Hang in there, it will get easier.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I was diagnosed in May and logically I was okay going gluten-free right away. The problem is when I realize I can no longer have something, like the other day I realized I could no longer have crab rangoons. Some things are harder than others but I do feel better. Just focus on the fact you will feel better soon. Have your vitamin levels checked also.

#8 KrazyKick

KrazyKick

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

You're not alone. I was very sad at first too being such a foodie. I have learned to make wonderful food I can safely enjoy and you will too. I found one thing to be very helpful when I was starting out. Instead of making lists of things I couldn't have I made a book of things I could have then learned all about them how to make them even better. Collected recipes and kept them in that book. Wrote down spontaious ideas of food combos that would work and so on. You will adapt! Be positive!

#9 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

I was diagnosed in May and logically I was okay going gluten-free right away. The problem is when I realize I can no longer have something, like the other day I realized I could no longer have crab rangoons. Some things are harder than others but I do feel better. Just focus on the fact you will feel better soon. Have your vitamin levels checked also.

You are about to be happy - you CAN have crab ragoons, if you make them yourself. This is a great recipe. The author has a great book out that I have called "Gluten Free Asian". Many gluten-free cookbooks are very annoying and useless because all they say is use gluten-free soy sauce and gluten-free that. This book, however, gives you recipes for the good stuff that you really do need a recipe for, such as pot stickers that are delicious.
http://www.laurabrus...m/crab-rangoon/
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: