3 replies to this topic

#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Does anyone here have an intolerance to fructose? Can you give me a list of foods that are no nos please?
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dugudugu

Dugudugu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Are you sure you're having an intolerance for fructose? If I am correct fructose is one of the products the body produces when digesting food.

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

Fructose is the sugar in fruit. All, or nearly all of fruits contain it. I think it is in honey also. Be leary of fruit juices for sure! People breed fruit to be as high as possible in fructose. So far as I know I am not intolerant of it, but I am extremely careful with fruit. I think of having bites rather than whole fruits.

Diana

#4 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hi Skittles,

I think I am fructose intolerant (based on an elimination diet) but I am waiting until my gut has healed before getting formal testing. For now, I just avoid things that give me problems, no matter what they are.

There are lots of good lists online, but they are all different (research keeps changing). A really good list is here: http://ibs.aurametri...odmap-diet.html

You can also check out the Farting Pear to check a food: www.thefartingpear.com/

There are some tests you can take, but none are proved 100% reliable (yet). The best thing to do is to find a doctor in your area who knows something about it. The Yahoo! group for fructose malabsorbtion may be helpful in doing research and finding a doctor: http://health.groups..._malabsorption/
I joined the group when I was testing, and they are very nice.

The elimination and challenge test I used was from Free At Last, by the way: http://www.amazon.co...p/dp/0982063504

Apparently fructose malabsorption can show up alongside celiac. But you could also have other issues (SIBO, leaky gut, whatever) that could cause problems that look a lot like it, so that's why it's nice to have a doctor or good dietician to help you out. Eliminiation diets are tricky -- sometimes they seem pretty definitive and sometimes they are confusing. Just FYI, all humans are fructose intolerant to some degree...it's just we differ in how much we can take. A tiny bit of pear gives me a stomach ache, but other people may need to eat 3 or 4 pears to get the same result. It's just people who aren't fructose intolerant almost never push their limits and my tolerance is a fraction of a pear, so I push it all the time. Some people are even more sensitive and can't hardly eat anything (!). But that's extremely rare.

Take care,
Amelia

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: