2 replies to this topic

#1 QP1

QP1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hello. I am being investigating for GI upset, and I just got back the results of a second liver function test. The first LF test was 10 days earlier, and in the interim I eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet. My ALT level dropped from 73 to 63 (upper limit 60). My AST level was not tested initially, but came back at 46 (upper limit 35). From what little I know, my AST/ALT ratio is normal (i.e., less than 1.0). At the time of my first LF test, I was also tested for Tissue Transglutaminase Ab IgA, which came back at 5 units (upper limit 20) but due to ignorance, I hadn't eaten any gluten for two full days prior to the transglutaminase test.

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts or insight into the ALT drop - which strikes me (as a layperson) as quite significant over such a short time period. I'm also wondering what significance might be attached to the elevated AST level, in the context of my ALT levels. It's probably important to note that I have experienced a complete resolution of my biggest problem, diarrhea, since eliminating gluten and dairy.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
QP

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

...It's probably important to note that I have experienced a complete resolution of my biggest problem, diarrhea, since eliminating gluten and dairy.

And it's probably awesome to note that, too!

Sorry I don't really know about LF tests, but it's possible that 10 pts doesn't mean that much if the test's precision/repeatability isn't very high. That said . .. .it sure seems like a 10 pt drop from starting gluten-free/df should be significant.

Happy gluten-free Thxgvg!
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

That does seem fast. I can only add that my liver function tests were elevated at diagnosis and were in normal range at three months gluten-free.

And I'd add complete resolution of the Big D so quickly is great and a solid reason to remain gluten-free.

Hope your first gluten-free Thanksgiving went well :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: