11 replies to this topic

#1 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

loves2eat, now that the board will deign to accept our humble posts again, we would love to hear from you.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Ha ha... I wondered how MY thread title ended up w/ your name on it, mushroom. I just posted and exited and didn't even know my post didn't show up!

So... I've tried 10 different stuffing recipes over 10 years ... several w/ cornbread, a few w/ Pamela's bread, w/ no luck at all. Guests always said it was good, but I knew better! They were awful! THIS year, I finally enjoyed the stuffing. It's still not Pepperidge Farm and never will be, but w/ some delicious gravy poured on top, it was GOOD.

I told the lady in the health food store I was on my 10th recipe and she suggested using chicken broth... um... halloooo... that's not the problem! She finally asked what ingredient I might be missing and I said, "Duh... GLUTEN!!"

I used Udi's bread cubed and dried, broth, butter, celery and onions, and spices. I was so happy on Thanksgiving!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

My cornbread stuffing with sausage was the worst part of our meal this year. I made a bang up gravy though, and have struggled with gravy in the past.

I always add too much stock (gummy gunk) or not enough (brick hard, even with gravy). If anyone has a good ratio of liquid to dry gluten-free bread and sauteed veggies, please post.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 HiDee

HiDee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

I've given up on gluten-free stuffing, it's just terrible. I figure we have plenty of other carbs elsewhere in the meal to fill the stuffing void.

#5 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I would only make dressing with torn chunks of homemade or unsliced bread. If the bread falls apart and turns into crumbs, what is the point? That is more like gloop with indistinct chunks of bread. There is such a thing is great dressing. It really helps if you brown the chicken bones in the oven when making stock. I add something for crunch such as chestnuts or water chestnuts and fresh herbs.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 Madagascar

Madagascar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

does anyone have an actual recipe? i bought gluten-free bread cubes, already dried, but am wondering about how much liquid to use with it.

i made the mistake of asking my cousin, who always comes to visit for Christmas, what she liked most for Christmas dinner, and she said the dressing. yikes. i was gonna just skip it, but i went and bought a stove-top stuffing mix (w/gluten) and in a moment of weakness in the next store, i bought gluten-free bread cubes. now i'm wondering what to do with them.

help?
Childhood: canker sores, zillions of cavities, and multiple dental enamel defects (not decay). Acne began at age 9, became cystic acne at 15ish, was bad til early 20's, occasional break-outs now only if i eat certain foods.
1968 - allergic to bacon (arm rashes) & orange juice; sensitive to soy
1970s - lots of digestive problems, allergy to citrus, citric acid, cinnamon, lactose intolerant, rosacea from foods
1980s - allergic to oregano, basil, thyme, pork, strawberries, paprika, smokehouse-type seasonings, peppers
1990s - discovered digestive enzymes (YAY!) and my stomach issues resolved by 90%
2012 - diagnosed with celiac via blood tests (tTG) and genes (HLA DQA1*0201: DQB1*0202)
After learning about celiac, it is obvious my mom had it (ulcerative colitis), my brother has it, and my 3 young adult children have it (2 have digestive problems + anxiety; one has DH). we all went gluten-free november 2012.

#7 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

I actually went to the grocery and looked at the back of a bag of good old Pepperidge Farm to figure out the bread cube to liquid measurements. All that said... dressing/stuffing/whatever is very simply never going to be the same or even remotely similar. Sad to say but it's the gluten that makes dressing/stuffing what it is. There aren't many times I lament and whine about having to be gluten-free... and dropping stuffing/dressing from future big meals will help me not be such a whiner.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#8 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I made Udi's gluten free stuffing and it was super yummy! It was the best part of the meal!

http://udisglutenfre...tuffing-recipe/

(FYI, I left the fennel out.)

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I think most people have their own favorite stuffin mix...Our gang loves the stuffin with a blend of different breads. I make cubes & oven toast. I think Whole Foods breads makes decent stuffins. Four of us are gluten-free but 18 eat the gluten-free stuffins....WF sandwich bread, the sun dried garlic tomato , a bit of rye makes for a tasty blend with added spices. I also add two beaten eggs, sauteed onion & celery,& as much chicken broth as you like. Some people like their stuffing drier others prefer it moist... I use about 1/2 to 3/4 can of broth...
hth

#10 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I know this is to late. I bought gluten free tried bread crumbs from whole foods (sorry don't know brand) 12oz size. It was mixed with 1.5 cups (sausage, onion, celery saut&eacute;ed) and one can chicken broth. At thanksgiving I crushed it before mixing, it was okay. At Christmas I crushed it (food processor) after mixing, it was great, even without gravy.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#11 Madagascar

Madagascar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

thanks everyone! i ended up sauteing onions in butter, adding chopped water chesnuts and tossing it with the bread cubes. i couldn't remember if i usually added an egg or not, so didn't. the flavor was really great, but the center of the bread cubes were untouched by the broth, so rather crunchy. hahahaha. that's ok, i was the only one eating it, so after dinner i added some more broth, tossed it again and put it back in the oven.

the bread cubes were from Market of Choice, a west coast chain, and were yummy. they'd pass a competition with the Mrs. Cubbison's or Marie Callendar's dressing mix.

i bookmarked that Udi's recipe for next time, though. it looked good.
Childhood: canker sores, zillions of cavities, and multiple dental enamel defects (not decay). Acne began at age 9, became cystic acne at 15ish, was bad til early 20's, occasional break-outs now only if i eat certain foods.
1968 - allergic to bacon (arm rashes) & orange juice; sensitive to soy
1970s - lots of digestive problems, allergy to citrus, citric acid, cinnamon, lactose intolerant, rosacea from foods
1980s - allergic to oregano, basil, thyme, pork, strawberries, paprika, smokehouse-type seasonings, peppers
1990s - discovered digestive enzymes (YAY!) and my stomach issues resolved by 90%
2012 - diagnosed with celiac via blood tests (tTG) and genes (HLA DQA1*0201: DQB1*0202)
After learning about celiac, it is obvious my mom had it (ulcerative colitis), my brother has it, and my 3 young adult children have it (2 have digestive problems + anxiety; one has DH). we all went gluten-free november 2012.

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I used to love the traditional sage and apple dressing I made (in the "old days") and I was skeptical about trying this one in the crock pot at Thanksgiving this year, but it was really very good. I was stunned. :D even my Mom liked it --a lot!---and she is picky about such things.
I followed it as written (as I do the first time I try anything) . I used a combo of various slices of loaves of breads I had made (that were in the freezer--I saved them fr this purpose) , but I am sure Udi's would work

Maybe you might give it a try and see if you like it.

http://crockpot365.b...g-crockpot.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: