This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

10Th Year gluten-free... 10Th Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe

mushroom

mushroom Proficient

loves2eat, now that the board will deign to accept our humble posts again, we would love to hear from you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

Ha ha... I wondered how MY thread title ended up w/ your name on it, mushroom. I just posted and exited and didn't even know my post didn't show up!

So... I've tried 10 different stuffing recipes over 10 years ... several w/ cornbread, a few w/ Pamela's bread, w/ no luck at all. Guests always said it was good, but I knew better! They were awful! THIS year, I finally enjoyed the stuffing. It's still not Pepperidge Farm and never will be, but w/ some delicious gravy poured on top, it was GOOD.

I told the lady in the health food store I was on my 10th recipe and she suggested using chicken broth... um... halloooo... that's not the problem! She finally asked what ingredient I might be missing and I said, "Duh... GLUTEN!!"

I used Udi's bread cubed and dried, broth, butter, celery and onions, and spices. I was so happy on Thanksgiving!!

Marilyn R Community Regular

My cornbread stuffing with sausage was the worst part of our meal this year. I made a bang up gravy though, and have struggled with gravy in the past.

I always add too much stock (gummy gunk) or not enough (brick hard, even with gravy). If anyone has a good ratio of liquid to dry gluten-free bread and sauteed veggies, please post.

HiDee Rookie

I've given up on gluten-free stuffing, it's just terrible. I figure we have plenty of other carbs elsewhere in the meal to fill the stuffing void.

love2travel Mentor

I would only make dressing with torn chunks of homemade or unsliced bread. If the bread falls apart and turns into crumbs, what is the point? That is more like gloop with indistinct chunks of bread. There is such a thing is great dressing. It really helps if you brown the chicken bones in the oven when making stock. I add something for crunch such as chestnuts or water chestnuts and fresh herbs.

• 4 weeks later...
Madagascar Rookie

does anyone have an actual recipe? i bought gluten-free bread cubes, already dried, but am wondering about how much liquid to use with it.

i made the mistake of asking my cousin, who always comes to visit for Christmas, what she liked most for Christmas dinner, and she said the dressing. yikes. i was gonna just skip it, but i went and bought a stove-top stuffing mix (w/gluten) and in a moment of weakness in the next store, i bought gluten-free bread cubes. now i'm wondering what to do with them.

help?

luvs2eat Collaborator

I actually went to the grocery and looked at the back of a bag of good old Pepperidge Farm to figure out the bread cube to liquid measurements. All that said... dressing/stuffing/whatever is very simply never going to be the same or even remotely similar. Sad to say but it's the gluten that makes dressing/stuffing what it is. There aren't many times I lament and whine about having to be gluten-free... and dropping stuffing/dressing from future big meals will help me not be such a whiner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KikiB Explorer

I made Udi's gluten free stuffing and it was super yummy! It was the best part of the meal!

Open Original Shared Link

(FYI, I left the fennel out.)

mamaw Community Regular

I think most people have their own favorite stuffin mix...Our gang loves the stuffin with a blend of different breads. I make cubes & oven toast. I think Whole Foods breads makes decent stuffins. Four of us are gluten-free but 18 eat the gluten-free stuffins....WF sandwich bread, the sun dried garlic tomato , a bit of rye makes for a tasty blend with added spices. I also add two beaten eggs, sauteed onion & celery,& as much chicken broth as you like. Some people like their stuffing drier others prefer it moist... I use about 1/2 to 3/4 can of broth...

hth

DavinaRN Explorer

I know this is to late. I bought gluten free tried bread crumbs from whole foods (sorry don't know brand) 12oz size. It was mixed with 1.5 cups (sausage, onion, celery sautéed) and one can chicken broth. At thanksgiving I crushed it before mixing, it was okay. At Christmas I crushed it (food processor) after mixing, it was great, even without gravy.

Madagascar Rookie

thanks everyone! i ended up sauteing onions in butter, adding chopped water chesnuts and tossing it with the bread cubes. i couldn't remember if i usually added an egg or not, so didn't. the flavor was really great, but the center of the bread cubes were untouched by the broth, so rather crunchy. hahahaha. that's ok, i was the only one eating it, so after dinner i added some more broth, tossed it again and put it back in the oven.

the bread cubes were from Market of Choice, a west coast chain, and were yummy. they'd pass a competition with the Mrs. Cubbison's or Marie Callendar's dressing mix.

i bookmarked that Udi's recipe for next time, though. it looked good.

IrishHeart Veteran

I used to love the traditional sage and apple dressing I made (in the "old days") and I was skeptical about trying this one in the crock pot at Thanksgiving this year, but it was really very good. I was stunned. :D even my Mom liked it --a lot!---and she is picky about such things.

I followed it as written (as I do the first time I try anything) . I used a combo of various slices of loaves of breads I had made (that were in the freezer--I saved them fr this purpose) , but I am sure Udi's would work

Maybe you might give it a try and see if you like it.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived