This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Sequel

TriticusToxicum

elye Community Regular

For those Psillies with whom I'm not in contact on facebook, I must mention here the huge international event that is starting this Saturday. It is the Yukon Quest, one of the most gruelling sporting events ever held. My BIL and SIL live up in Tagish, a community that sits about 80 km north of Whitehorse, where they professionally train, breed and race sled dogs year-round. BIL Ed is in the Quest this year (I believe his third time.....wife Michelle has run it three times as well)......it's so very exciting. There are world-class mushers from everywhere, including Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, taking teams on the 1,000-mile course -- up four mountain ranges, across frozen lakes and rivers and through tiny isolated communities. The fastest teams will do it in about twelve days. I just cannot imagine..... :blink: .....

Here is the website where updates will be available as the race continues through the first and second weeks of February.....

http://www.yukonquest.com/site/2013-race

Ed is celiac, and has had a great deal of trouble finding appropriate gluten-free food to pack for the two-week stint (nutritionally packed, easily portable, etc.). This will be his first world race as a diagnosed celiac. We've gotta root for The Celiac on The Sled.....

GO, SPECIAL ED, GO!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loey

• kareng

• jerseyangel

• VydorScope

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loey

Loey 271 posts

• kareng

kareng 222 posts

• jerseyangel

jerseyangel 212 posts

• VydorScope

VydorScope 184 posts

Posted Images

mommida Enthusiast

Off to a rocky start on the shawl. I ordered some great priced bamboo yarn from an internet site. I still haven't got the yarn yet.......

I called and it's on back order. I cancelled the order. Now we are due for some bad winter weather asfter a freakish melt down and pretty heavy rain. We are expecting at 2 inches of snow on top of the standing water that will surely be ICE. I will not be wandering out in that mess.

mushroom Proficient

Off to a rocky start on the shawl. I ordered some great priced bamboo yarn from an internet site. I still haven't got the yarn yet.......

I called and it's on back order. I cancelled the order. Now we are due for some bad winter weather asfter a freakish melt down and pretty heavy rain. We are expecting at 2 inches of snow on top of the standing water that will surely be ICE. I will not be wandering out in that mess.

Egads!! Hope you has a full pantry and fridge.

And you can't even knit or crochet until you can get out again :(

mommida Enthusiast

I did stock up on some yarn from Big Lots. I just wanted really nice special yarn for a prayer shawl. Something that feels like a hug.

VydorScope Proficient

GO, SPECIAL ED, GO!!!

YAH!! GO GO GO!

Loey Rising Star

For those Psillies with whom I'm not in contact on facebook, I must mention here the huge international event that is starting this Saturday. It is the Yukon Quest, one of the most gruelling sporting events ever held. My BIL and SIL live up in Tagish, a community that sits about 80 km north of Whitehorse, where they professionally train, breed and race sled dogs year-round. BIL Ed is in the Quest this year (I believe his third time.....wife Michelle has run it three times as well)......it's so very exciting. There are world-class mushers from everywhere, including Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, taking teams on the 1,000-mile course -- up four mountain ranges, across frozen lakes and rivers and through tiny isolated communities. The fastest teams will do it in about twelve days. I just cannot imagine..... :blink: .....

Here is the website where updates will be available as the race continues through the first and second weeks of February.....

http://www.yukonques.../site/2013-race

Ed is celiac, and has had a great deal of trouble finding appropriate gluten-free food to pack for the two-week stint (nutritionally packed, easily portable, etc.). This will be his first world race as a diagnosed celiac. We've gotta root for The Celiac on The Sled.....

GO, SPECIAL ED, GO!!!

Pardon my repetition but GO, SPECIAL ED, GO!!!

Loey Rising Star

As someone who received a prayer shawl, don't worry about the special yarn (although that's part of what makes you the special and loving person you are (great sentence structure for a former Special Ed and G&T teacher - OY VEY!). The shawl I received is not a color I wear nor is it the softest wool but I love it more than any of the shawls I bought myself or received as gifts. I wear it every day when I first get up, if I can't sleep at night or just if I want a hug. Right now I (once again) have the flu so it's on and off depending on my temperature but the fact that it was made by a 90 year old woman (and her church ladies) who is like a mother to me makes it the most special one I own. It truly does feel like a hug filled with prayers whenever I wear it. Even if you made it out of a hideous color yarn (which I KNOW you wouldn't) the person you make it for will love it and love you. It makes me want to learn to knit (Superman would kill me if I brought in another craft- my jewelry and painting supplies fill a part of the basement - time to get back to them and to tutoring).

Sorry if this is disjointed. It's not my meds (no longer taking anything that isn't essential like BP med - no more oxy!), it's the flu. Only came online to reply to this post (I can read email on my Kindle but I can't send a reply on it).

OK, time to go lay on the couch and watch TV with my honey.

Love and Hugz, :wub:

Loey

P.S. I'm lucky the site doesn't limit ( ) as I always overuse them :wacko: :wacko:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

Continuing to send prayers to all our psillies in areas that are still getting hit with storms and their outcome. We had snow in the beginning of the week but so far the end of January has been kind to us. Hope February is kind to us all.

Love,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Where is everyone?

Love,

Loey

GF Lover Rising Star

Hi Loey.

What is a prayer shawl? I've never heard of them and how do you get one?

Colleen

Loey Rising Star

Hi Loey.

What is a prayer shawl? I've never heard of them and how do you get one?

Colleen

I went online to try to find a good answer your question as I am new to prayer shawls. Mine was made by a woman who is like a mother to me and her church ladies. While working on the shawl different prayers are said. Mine came with a card that said :

"May God's grace be upon this wrap ... warming, comforting, enfolding, and embracing. May this mantle be a safe haven ... a sacred place of security and well being. Sustaining and embracing in good times as well as difficult ones. May you who received this wrap be cradled in hope, kept in joy, graced with peace and enveloped in love."

I'm not sure where you get them but I'm posting links below that have some interesting responses to my Google query. I do know that when I wear it I feel the embrace and prayers.

http://blogs.mycentr...ow-to-get-them/

http://www.blessingc...ayer_shawls.htm

http://pecometh.org/...tting-with-Love

I hope this answers your question. if I knew how to knit I'd make you one. I am contemplating taking a basic knitting class in town.

Healing Hugs,

Loey

shadowicewolf Proficient

I'm up to walking about... what... 6-8 miles a week (monday through thursday, friday - sunday is dependent on what i'm doing or how i feel). I can't believe i can walk this much :)

Basically, i just walk to the main area of my school and back. Its sort of a hilly climb so thats a plus.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Great being able to walk isn't it? I am now walking a good distance doing the school run. I am tired but thankful every day :)

Loey Rising Star

I'm up to walking about... what... 6-8 miles a week (monday through thursday, friday - sunday is dependent on what i'm doing or how i feel). I can't believe i can walk this much :)

Basically, i just walk to the main area of my school and back. Its sort of a hilly climb so thats a plus.

I'm signing up for a class at the Y called Twinges & Hinges. I don't think I'll be the oldest one in this class. It's in water and builds flexibility. Unfortunately I have to take baby steps. I wanted to take Zumba Water Aerobics but I think I'll have to wait a while on that one. Shadow, great that you're walking 6-8 miles a week.You go girl! I'm proud of you. I hope by the summer I'll be able to take long walks on the beach- that is if it's ready by then. Drove by there for the first time since Sandy and it broke my heart. The only silver lining is the jobs the rebuilding is providing (always gotta find that silver lining).

Love & Healing Hugs,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Great being able to walk isn't it? I am now walking a good distance doing the school run. I am tired but thankful every day :)

You go girl, too!!

Love,

Loey

mommida Enthusiast

What do my favorite psillies think of this....

A niece (on my husband's side of the family) was getting married. In a city that we would have to drive or take a few day's car ride to with very expensive hotel rates. (Cheaper to stay outside of city and take subway.) Did NOT send out invitations. E-mailed (everyone but my husband and I) an "invitation". My children were definately mentioned not invited as adults only invited although cousin about 1 year older was in the wedding party.

Don't worry she would find a babysitter for kids to stay at hotel with. (Really, leave my kids with special diet needs in a hotel room with a stranger? That I just paid a few thousand $ to get to place of wedding.) We were supposed to register to an online service to stay informed of the wedding plans.

(so more nonsense that I won't even bother going into) So we decided to stay home.

So then the happy couple is expecting and an actual invitation was mailed to the house! This was in my state and a reasonable distance. The invitation says only gift cards are appreciated. (million dollar big city living soace is too small to and online diaper service account set up to receive $. as transporting gifts back to home location is too much of a hassle.

Today I got an e-mail explaining that they chose a special name for the child to be able to celebrate "name day". That it is like a "small birthday celebration" I am to send a "small gift or chocolates" for this special occasion. (As you know they did have to pick a special name from a list for the honor a having a "name day celebration") It may not be a big deal this year since the baby is only a few months old, but this "WILL be a special day for (child) to be celebrating on this (specified date)."

Am I wrong for wanting to B!^ch slap her?

psawyer Proficient

Am I wrong for wanting to B!^ch slap her?

No. :blink:

curlyfries Contributor

What do my favorite psillies think of this....

so........I'm confused. When they were expecting THEY sent out invitations? To what....a baby shower? ....the honor of sending a present? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a friend or relative hosts a shower. Now.... they can send out birth announcements and people can send a gift if they so choose.

And what in the Sam Hill (yes, I said it and newer psillies may have to research The Psillie Thread Part I, but I digress) is a "special name"? One name isn't enough? Is it a religious tradition? And so for this "special name" celebration they aren't required to have a party but you are required to send a gift.......EVERY YEAR FOR THE REST OF THE CHILD'S LIFE!!!

I vote no.

Btw....Peter....way cool that I got a message while I was typing that there was another post and did I want to see it. B):P

mommida Enthusiast

A birth name celebration (as I was directed with a link for more of an explanation) is a list of "approved names" that varies by country for an association (possibly a saint) for a "special celbration". Like my name for a certain country has a celebration day in June. It is your actual given name on your birth certificate, not to be confused with religions that take a "new" name after achieving a religious rite. Seriously, she (the mother of the child) is a Heinz 57 American who has never heard of "name day celebration" ~until now.

The invitation was from the grandmother to be. (I was severely bad mouthed for not attending the wedding I was not invited to) Seriously they didn't even use one of those on-line e-vite service.

To the best of my knowledge they still live at the same home address that was too small to accept any gifts other than plastic to cover diapers. They now expect "name day" gifts to not be too much of an inconvenience.

mushroom Proficient

I would give your niece the gift of not having to endure your presence, during which you would undoubtedly forget yourself and tell her what you thought about all this, and if the child turns out all right in spite of having this beotch for a mother I would give her what and when, or if, I felt like it.

elye Community Regular

Gawd... . .. ... :blink: .. ... .. .is this really how young kids are now organizing weddings/baby celebrations? ......Must have a pre-emptive word with my daughter........ <_< ....

Jestgar Rising Star

. . . ... :blink:

You would be interested in hearing more about how the 'name day' fits into your niece's new religion/husband's country of origin/other and you are a little confused as to why you would be sending chocolates to an infant?? :huh: Could they send you more information...???

jerseyangel Proficient

I would give your niece the gift of not having to endure your presence, during which you would undoubtedly forget yourself and tell her what you thought about all this, and if the child turns out all right in spite of having this beotch for a mother I would give her what and when, or if, I felt like it.

I co-sign Shroomie. I've never heard of such a thing-- it's all so convoluted.

psawyer Proficient

And on another wave, here in Canada, it no longer makes sense to make cents.

The one-cent coin, generally referred to as a "penny," was withdrawn from circulation today. That means that banks can no longer obtain it from the mint, and businesses can no longer buy rolls of them at the bank.

Most places have adopted what is known as Swedish Rounding, based on the formula used in Sweden after they abolished their .01 coin in the 1970s. After final totaling, including applicable taxes, the amount is rounded to the nearest five cents if payment is by cash. Payment by credit, debit, or check is still precise to the cent. But cash amounts ending in .x1 or .x2 are rounded down, while .x3 and .x4 are rounded up.

If you have pennies (we have a lot stashed in jars), they are still legal tender and can be spent anywhere, or deposited at the bank--just don't expect to get them as change.

Uncle Sam, you are way behind us Canucks. You still have paper currency at the $1 value. Oh, yes, also the rare $2 note. We got rid of our $1 note in 1987 and our $2 note in the mid 1990s. :o

mushroom Proficient

Well, Peter, Canada is way behind us. We only have ten cent coins now. The Swedish rounding is between 1 and 10, or in other words above or below 5. We have $5, $10 and $20 notes and $1 and $2 coins, 10 cents, 20 cents and 50 cents.