This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Sequel

TriticusToxicum

mommida Enthusiast

I have already lectured my kids on this.

Future directive order to kids. On searching for the future spouse please take a look at an only child who has been orphaned. (No in-laws to deal with.)

.. and elope, and wait to have children for when you are prepared to provide for them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loey

• kareng

• jerseyangel

• VydorScope

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loey

Loey 271 posts

• kareng

kareng 222 posts

• jerseyangel

jerseyangel 212 posts

• VydorScope

VydorScope 184 posts

Posted Images

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Ah, interesting. Yesterday I saw a story the UK may lose the penny. With your money man heading our way it is all starting to make sense.

On the baby thing, do whatever you want. I am not very good at doing what I am told, and ignore wedding gift lists, choosing what I want to send. I don't expect to see my gifts proudly displayed in their house.

For babies, I get gifts of things I found useful with little ones. If this is their first baby, what do they know?

We had all sorts of unsolicited gifts when we had kids, some from virtual strangers. It was delightful, and totally unexpected. People welcome babies into the world however they want. Someone I know told her mother in law not to knit anything, as the baby wouldn't wear it. She was devastated. Would it have killed them to put the baby in it once and take a photo? I specifically asked her to make something fro my first, knowing what had happened, and she was delighted.

It all sounds like they want tight control. So, by doing something different, you would be helping them adjust to the exciting, new, lack of control that enters you life with young children :)

Loey Rising Star

What do my favorite psillies think of this....

A niece (on my husband's side of the family) was getting married. In a city that we would have to drive or take a few day's car ride to with very expensive hotel rates. (Cheaper to stay outside of city and take subway.) Did NOT send out invitations. E-mailed (everyone but my husband and I) an "invitation". My children were definately mentioned not invited as adults only invited although cousin about 1 year older was in the wedding party.

Don't worry she would find a babysitter for kids to stay at hotel with. (Really, leave my kids with special diet needs in a hotel room with a stranger? That I just paid a few thousand $ to get to place of wedding.) We were supposed to register to an online service to stay informed of the wedding plans.

(so more nonsense that I won't even bother going into) So we decided to stay home.

So then the happy couple is expecting and an actual invitation was mailed to the house! This was in my state and a reasonable distance. The invitation says only gift cards are appreciated. (million dollar big city living soace is too small to and online diaper service account set up to receive $. as transporting gifts back to home location is too much of a hassle.

Today I got an e-mail explaining that they chose a special name for the child to be able to celebrate "name day". That it is like a "small birthday celebration" I am to send a "small gift or chocolates" for this special occasion. (As you know they did have to pick a special name from a list for the honor a having a "name day celebration") It may not be a big deal this year since the baby is only a few months old, but this "WILL be a special day for (child) to be celebrating on this (specified date)."

Am I wrong for wanting to B!^ch slap her?

Honey, please B!^ch slap her for me (and do it 3 times for the three occasions!!!!). In this economy it's unfair to ask people to travel to a distant place for a wedding (gas prices) and I find it rude to ask for gifts. When I threw the party for DH & DS WE travelled to NJ. If we had expected people to come to us our head count would have been about 6 instead of 50 people. I also specified no presents but some friends brought them anyway. If someone wants to give a gift they're going to give it, even if they're told not to or possibly not even invited. My next door neighbor has had both of her children marry recently and one is now pregnant with twins. We're not invited (and wouldn't expect to be- big family, etc.). I choose to buy presents for the occasions because I want to not because I was given a list or told where they were registered. So once again B!^ch slap her for me!!!! They are definitely asking too much!

Love,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

I would give your niece the gift of not having to endure your presence, during which you would undoubtedly forget yourself and tell her what you thought about all this, and if the child turns out all right in spite of having this beotch for a mother I would give her what and when, or if, I felt like it.

Thanks for the LOL Schroomie. Woke up at 5AM depressed and your post funnied it out of me. Hope your health has been doing well, dear friend!

Love,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

And on another wave, here in Canada, it no longer makes sense to make cents.

The one-cent coin, generally referred to as a "penny," was withdrawn from circulation today. That means that banks can no longer obtain it from the mint, and businesses can no longer buy rolls of them at the bank.

Most places have adopted what is known as Swedish Rounding, based on the formula used in Sweden after they abolished their .01 coin in the 1970s. After final totaling, including applicable taxes, the amount is rounded to the nearest five cents if payment is by cash. Payment by credit, debit, or check is still precise to the cent. But cash amounts ending in .x1 or .x2 are rounded down, while .x3 and .x4 are rounded up.

If you have pennies (we have a lot stashed in jars), they are still legal tender and can be spent anywhere, or deposited at the bank--just don't expect to get them as change.

Uncle Sam, you are way behind us Canucks. You still have paper currency at the $1 value. Oh, yes, also the rare $2 note. We got rid of our $1 note in 1987 and our $2 note in the mid 1990s. :o

Not only are you an awesome moderator but you're a purveyor of very interesting facts. Love reading your posts.

Love,Loey

elye Community Regular

On the baby thing, do whatever you want. I am not very good at doing what I am told, and ignore wedding gift lists, choosing what I want to send. I don't expect to see my gifts proudly displayed in their house.

For babies, I get gifts of things I found useful with little ones. If this is their first baby, what do they know?

We had all sorts of unsolicited gifts when we had kids, some from virtual strangers. It was delightful, and totally unexpected. People welcome babies into the world however they want. Someone I know told her mother in law not to knit anything, as the baby wouldn't wear it. She was devastated. Would it have killed them to put the baby in it once and take a photo? I specifically asked her to make something fro my first, knowing what had happened, and she was delighted.

It all sounds like they want tight control. So, by doing something different, you would be helping them adjust to the exciting, new, lack of control that enters you life with young children :)

Ha! :D:D This is the BEST, most refreshing advice of all.....I totally agree, Warpie...

Not only are you an awesome moderator but you're a purveyor of very interesting facts. Love reading your posts.

Love,Loey

...Awesome mod, fact-provider......AND he (with his awesome wife) is a consummate dinner guest, as well... . . .. :);)

shadowicewolf Proficient

Nothin' like getting up at 6am for class :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Loey Rising Star

Nothin' like getting up at 6am for class :lol:

My heart goes out to you (especially in the winter). When I was teaching I was up at 4:30 AM to exercise and get to school before 7 AM. Directly from school I headed to Grad School. When I got home I worked on Lesson Plans until 1 or 2AM then repeated the whole thing the next day. Weekends were spent on LP and assignments for Grad School. I can't believe that was 4 years ago and today I'm on disability. I empathize with you. I also wish I was well enough to have that kind of schedule again.Now I wake u at 4:30 because I can't sleep and try to stay upstairs on the computer until the heat comes on. So proud of you going to school Shadow, YOU ROCK!!!! When you have your coffee or tea i the AM think of me in RI doing the same.

BTW, my prayers came truse and the girl I tutor is going to start regular school in March. When I started tutoring her she was 3rd grade age but on a pre-K level (she was home schooled). Now she's readingg on a 2nd grade level. I hope to still be able to orkwith her pull out reading teacher and tutor her more often. I also hope to atend the IEP meetings as an advocate.

Love & Healing hugs (plus sending lots of energy),

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Ha! :D:D This is the BEST, most refreshing advice of all.....I totally agree, Warpie...

...Awesome mod, fact-provider......AND he (with his awesome wife) is a consummate dinner guest, as well... . . .. :);)

I'm waiting for them to decide to visit RI. I want to meet my psillies!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Loey

mommida Enthusiast

Well for the shower gift. I did send send a smaller monetary gift card. (I knew it was intended to be spent on diapers, straight to the trash!)

I will not send a 4 month old baby chocolate for "name day"

I will make up a list of excuses to spend less time with this "family" (by family I meant gold digger)

"Right down to the penny" will be a lost, forgotten phrase. Pennies used to make me feel rich when I was a kid.

Jestgar Rising Star

Wasn't there some postage about not signing with rings?

IMG_2523_large.webp

mushroom Proficient

Being from down under, I would say he is Lord of the Rings :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Being from down under, I would say he is Lord of the Rings :D

Hee!

curlyfries Contributor

Wasn't there some postage about not signing with rings?

IMG_2523_large.webp

yeah....real funny :rolleyes: I could tear up my whole chin with that! I usually sign left handed. That ring has a stone with the sharp things holding it on. I was lucky I was carrying stuff in my left hand and was signing right handed. That ring was smooth and still did damage. :unsure:

Loey Rising Star

Hello my dearest psillies. Just want to wish everyone hit by this mighty storm safety, no power outages and minimal damage. I'll be praying for everyone. We're close to the epi-center as well as being coastal. We're still recovering from Sandy so I hope that those in low lying areas and near the beaches will not suffer more of a beating.

All my love,

Loey

P.S. as long as I have power I'll update you. I pray it doesn't go out as I have a bug and do not want it to morph into pneumonia. At least the hospital would have heat.

elye Community Regular

Thinkin' about you, Loweeee, and everybody else in the path of this blizzard. We've had 5 cm (2 inches) of psnaough overnight, with perhaps 20 more coming.....at least this city is ready for this kind of nonsense...POeter, sounds like you guys could get hit harder than us here.... :unsure: . .. ...

Jestgar Rising Star

Wow, scary snow storms coming. It's high forties and clear at my house. Weird weather going on.

Snuggle in under your blankies everyone!

psawyer Proficient

The snow is still falling, with another 15 cm (6 in) expected. No wind to speak of, so no drifting or whiteouts.

Loey Rising Star

The snow is still falling, with another 15 cm (6 in) expected. No wind to speak of, so no drifting or whiteouts.

We're starting to see the snow and winds increase here in Westerly, RI (40 miles south of Providence on the shoreline by Watch Hill & Misquamicut - still under repair from Sandy). Haven't seen our current accumulations on the local news or weather channel yet but we're in for 2-3 feet. Power outages are expected. How long they last is another story. RI, Ct., & Mass. seem to have a good early start to staying on top of things. They set up a 211 number for the elderly or ill who lose power. Crews from United Grid are located all over the three States to respond as quickly as they can. DH & I have never been told to evacuate so hopefully our luck will continue. We're on a hill (Westerly is very hilly) and we don't get hit by flooding. High winds are another story. That did us in during Sandy. The storm pulled up several young trees we had planted but Rob replanted them. Two of them will most likely be uprooted as they never bounced back and are sickly. Rob had planned on removing them in the near future. Sandy didn't hit us seriously compared to what others went through, just caused inconvenience and a very cold few days.

I did get to my chiropractor this AM. On the way the snow got heavier but trip still took the normal amount of time. On the way back the roads were bad. The lines at the gas stations are ridiculous. I'm currently cooking a big pot of split pea soup with chicken and prosciuto (sp?). I figure if we do lose power we can eat that and the other stew I made last weekend without cooking. Superman said it will be sludge - I think it will be tasty if there's a choice of that or pantry food. Did laundry this AM and already got flashlights, candles, etc. in every room. We're just hunkering down until we're even allowed back on the roads. Westerly banned and will be ticketing anyone non-essential on the roads (as of 2PM- allowing those who went to work in the AM to get home) and there's a strict parking ban. I am so thankful we are blessed with a two car garage. During Sandy we watched movies on Superman's iPad in the car. In NJ our one car garage was too full to fit a car so one car was in our driveway and the other had to battle for a space in our small lot (we owned a townhouse there).

Ok, dear folks - stay safe. You'll all be in my prayers. I'll update later when conditions change while I still have power. For some reason my Kindle let's me read email and get on the forum but not send any replies or posts.

Love & Hugs,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Hopefully this won't be my last post but judging outside I'll be seriously surprised and grateful if we don't have a power outrage. DH says I'm being apocalyptic but I'm a very positive person and just think I'm being prepared. He just hates me wanting to keep the local news on for updates (though I get Accuweather through my email). Snow has increased as have the winds. We're re-watching Season 1 of Game of Thrones before starting Season 2 and are hoping to finish Season one and maybe start Season 2 tonight. It was warmer during Sandy so I don't know if we'd watch his iPad in one of the cars in the garage. Plows coming through constantly and I don't plan on going anywhere before Sunday (if then). Rescheduled an outing to Newport with friends for next weekend. OK, I'm supposed to be getting cozy and rejoining DH for TV. I'll let you know how we fare. I know it's going to be noisy and cold tonight.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Snowey Loey

mushroom Proficient

Stay safe and warm, Loey :)

curlyfries Contributor

Love,

Snowey Loey

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Snuggle up tight, Loey! I feel for all my snowbound psillies, but sooo glad it's not me ^_^

Loey Rising Star

Final update before I head to bed. We had lots of times when we thought we were losing power but thank God it flickered and came back on. Half of Westerly has been without power for hours. They expect us to have more outages and they say it will take 3-7 days to get it back. Fingers crossed that we remain blessed. Saw my first "thunder-snow." We're less than ten miles from the beach and it's the first time I've ever seen lightning during a snowstorm or blizzard. Pretty, but also a bit scary (lots of power lines behind us flashing). I'll post when I get up if we still have power. In the mean time I hope you all remain safe and snuggly.

Love,

Loey

P.S. Took yogurt and hard boiled eggs out of fridge as they will keep overnight and DH doesn't like fridge opened if we lose power.

kareng Grand Master

Final update before I head to bed. We had lots of times when we thought we were losing power but thank God it flickered and came back on. Half of Westerly has been without power for hours. They expect us to have more outages and they say it will take 3-7 days to get it back. Fingers crossed that we remain blessed. Saw my first "thunder-snow." We're less than ten miles from the beach and it's the first time I've ever seen lightning during a snowstorm or blizzard. Pretty, but also a bit scary (lots of power lines behind us flashing). I'll post when I get up if we still have power. In the mean time I hope you all remain safe and snuggly.

Love,

Loey

P.S. Took yogurt and hard boiled eggs out of fridge as they will keep overnight and DH doesn't like fridge opened if we lose power.

Love Thunder Snow! We had some a few weeks ago! In Kansas you get some every couple of years.

Jestgar Rising Star

I miss lightning. :( Not a Northwest thing.