2225 replies to this topic

#181 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

I adore these youtube videos... did you know...?

Mameshiba were a fad for a while in Japan (not sure if they still are).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#182 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Now if we can just get them to devise a test to gauge our reaction to gluten in a petri dish rather than by challenge or measuring antibodies in our blood I'd be a very happy camper :P

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/97603-in-vitro-gliadin-challenge-offers-accurate-diagnosis-of-difficult-celiac-celiaccom/
http://www.nature.co...jg2011311a.html

Be Happy, camper!
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#183 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

What's your favorite downhill run??

Here's a nice one, by my little brother's old house.
Posted Image
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#184 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

What's your favorite downhill run??

Oh goodness...that is not an easy question...

Bear - Home Hill - until recently averaged 30 days a season - 44 was the best year ever - I hate this flipping disease.

Silver and Geronimo -- perfect nice long blue, black and double with no jumps and jibs -- SoCal mountains are all about the features and the boards - so I have these runs to myself often - rare here.

Mammoth - Chairs 22 and 25 -- again perfect blues and blacks often with powder and no crowd -- I leave Scotty's and Dave's for my men most days.

Tahoe -
Mt Rose and Kirkwood - too many that I know but don't know names of but will be back as much as possible

Heavenly - Anything steep with a view of the lake and lack of groms :)

Squaw - too long ago -- froggy there but know I loved it

Utahhhhhhhhh

Snowbird - anytime - anyrun

Alta - haven't been back since my hubby was teaching me in pnut butter cement - not in a rush to get back

Brighten - kids were on skis between my knees so the bunny hill?

Park City - like Snowbird better

Coloraaadoh -

I have a very long bucket list there - saw them all on a Summer tour - can't wait to gain my heath for the adventures these hold.

BC --- Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Edited for PS...can't believe I forgot Big Mountain, Montana -- right next to Glacier -- they call it Whitefish now -- only been in the Summer -- retirement dream.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#185 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Posted Image

Holey Moley! Remind me never to think of going skiing with you (if I skied, that is) :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#186 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

Posted Image

These joints need a bit more healing before I head there -- but I do have some junior silly's and a hubby ready at the drop of a hat even if they have to hike it - but if a heli comes with the house it'll save some time -- so are the new owner's full time? where's the hide-a-key?

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#187 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Holey Moley! Remind me never to think of going skiing with you (if I skied, that is) :lol:

Stick with me - I teach really well - we can do it one day (well maybe the nice long run along the peak that raps around the backside of the Mtn to the house with roaring fire and hot cocoa?????

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#188 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Stick with me - I teach really well - we can do it one day (well maybe the nice long run along the peak that raps around the backside of the Mtn to the house with roaring fire and hot cocoa?????

Using snowshoes?? B)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#189 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Using snowshoes?? B)

Goodness Gracious -- snowshoes -- how many muscles you got lady -- I'll have you sliding along no Triple Diamonds I promise or I can throw you in a sled and tow you while you pour the cocktails -- oh I mean hot chocolate :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#190 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Mameshiba were a fad for a while in Japan (not sure if they still are).

Poor little bean -- try epic rap battles -- pretty funny.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#191 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

http://www.nature.co...jg2011311a.html

Be Happy, camper!

Very nice - Sweet dreams Campers :)

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#192 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Goodness Gracious -- snowshoes -- how many muscles you got lady -- I'll have you sliding along no Triple Diamonds I promise or I can throw you in a sled and tow you while you pour the cocktails -- oh I mean hot chocolate :)

Now this sounds more my speed and effort level - a sled bar with ice plentifully at hand and a perfectly mixed wodka martini for your arrival :D And I, still being in one piece and still able to breathe, will be able to join you in celebrating our Double Diamond (which is where we live in Nevada) or Diamond Peak (which is where we used to live). My breathing isn't quite so good these days :(
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#193 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Now this sounds more my speed and effort level - a sled bar with ice plentifully at hand and a perfectly mixed wodka martini for your arrival :D And I, still being in one piece and still able to breathe, will be able to join you in celebrating our Double Diamond (which is where we live in Nevada) or Diamond Peak (which is where we used to live). My breathing isn't quite so good these days :(

You are close to Mt. Rose!!! -- 3 GottaSki's and 1 GottaBoard will be there just as soon as this stubborn body can get back a bit more mobility -- now where'd you say your hide-a-key was -- oh too big an invasion -- I can leave everyone home ;)

Let's work on the breathing -- so you can join these silly joints on the sledding hill.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#194 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

Oh goodness...that is not an easy question...

Bear - Home Hill - until recently averaged 30 days a season - 44 was the best year ever - I hate this flipping disease.

Silver and Geronimo -- perfect nice long blue, black and double with no jumps and jibs -- SoCal mountains are all about the features and the boards - so I have these runs to myself often - rare here.

Mammoth - Chairs 22 and 25 -- again perfect blues and blacks often with powder and no crowd -- I leave Scotty's and Dave's for my men most days.

Tahoe -
Mt Rose and Kirkwood - too many that I know but don't know names of but will be back as much as possible

Heavenly - Anything steep with a view of the lake and lack of groms :)

Squaw - too long ago -- froggy there but know I loved it

Utahhhhhhhhh

Snowbird - anytime - anyrun

Alta - haven't been back since my hubby was teaching me in pnut butter cement - not in a rush to get back

Brighten - kids were on skis between my knees so the bunny hill?

Park City - like Snowbird better

Coloraaadoh -

I have a very long bucket list there - saw them all on a Summer tour - can't wait to gain my heath for the adventures these hold.

BC --- Ahhhhhhhhhhh

Edited for PS...can't believe I forgot Big Mountain, Montana -- right next to Glacier -- they call it Whitefish now -- only been in the Summer -- retirement dream.

Love Kirkwood and what used to be called Sierra Ski Ranch and North Star. Heavenly has good views but isn't that thrilling. Tahoe sounds like they are about to get dumped.

Alta, Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird nin the canyons are all good. Park City is too crowded. Deer Valley was great when the boys were little. They have very good lessons and take good care of little ones. Powder Mountain is very uncommercial and great. Snow Basin has good skiing and everything is really nice. Don't eat the gluten-free pizza at the little pizza place at the top. It is too small a place to keep the toppings safe.

J, my son at CSU, has been skiing but, with no natural pshanugh, its limited to one or two runs. They need snow badly! Breck has a little coffee shop that serves gluten-free soup and paninis and no non-gluten-free paninis or coup. The non-gluten-free cookies/muffins come to them completely wrapped to avoid any cc.

Loved Whistler! Went the years before the Olympics.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#195 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Skiing feels like a lifetime ago. Love that spot at Heavenly where while crossing from CA to NV side you see the lake & peaks of the Sierra on the left & the wild contrast of flat high-desert to the right.
Into it enough to work at a ski shop in HS, but other priorities dropped skiing weekends to 2 or 3 or even none. (Wish there weren't any nones, since I'm talkin pre-celiac)

You guys've been to a lot of ski areas! I think I got 7 states under me belt.

Nothin like that feeling at the top of 1st run, making final goggle adjustments, checking that everything's secure, giving a thumbs-up before launching while wearing the wide smile of anticipatory exhilaration! Ahhhhh I think I gave myself chills! :D

Bay area's current floodfearing rainstorms means Tahoe will be buried in several feet of sneaux in the next few days.
Hope no one there having a post-count phlipover cuz too much past&future-liquid can collapse a roof.

Hey Em! Michelle mushing a race this year? I'm getting pretty accustomed to the annual tracking & cheering.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: