Loey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

How is everyone doing?

Hi Molly,
I don't know if I've met you. I'm Loey and wanted to introdce myself and congratulate you on graduating. It's a lovely picture of you. I hope you're feeling well and have been away due to studies, not health.

Loey

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#257 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

Yes, celiac3270 and I both live in Boston now, but he's finishing up his first semester of senior year at Harvard, so he's been working a lot so we haven't had time to hang out, but still keep in touch and will see each other soon! Yes I graduated, degree in chemistry (I don't really know how I did it), I'm taking some time off enjoying life before applying to medical and PHD schools for graduate work, so hopefully starting one of those in the next few years!

You go girl!!!

Loey :D

#258 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Never guess who is doing a gluten free trial--Mark (my husband for anyone who doesn't know). Seems to be helping greatly his reflux and a couple other things. I'm packing him a gluten-free lunch every day :rolleyes:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#259 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Guys... i just did my presentation on celiac in my bio lab today :) The professor said i did really good and i didn't have a breakdown panic attack like i normally would.

#260 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Guys... i just did my presentation on celiac in my bio lab today :) The professor said i did really good and i didn't have a breakdown panic attack like i normally would.

Way to go, Wolfie! :) That's a great opportunity to educate people -- I'll bet several students left your presentation thinking, "Gee, that could explain my migraines, constipation, depression and rashes... . . ..I need to get that blood work done".....

Never guess who is doing a gluten free trial--Mark (my husband for anyone who doesn't know). Seems to be helping greatly his reflux and a couple other things. I'm packing him a gluten-free lunch every day :rolleyes:

Patteigh, like Will and I, you will both be known as "that weird couple with the SAME disease"... :rolleyes: <_<
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#261 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Well, we have been doing some out-of-season spring cleaning around here. It is our turn to host the family Christmas dinner for my family. We are slowly sorting through stuff, some of which is related to our now-closed retail business. We filled the garage with gems and detritus prior to closing the store in late June. July was a rest period, and from early August to early September we did some travelling, and met up with a few pholks phrom psillyville.

Today marked a major milestone. For the phirst time in six months, there is enough room to park one of our vehicles in the garage. Tonight, the Ford will be sheltered. :D
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#262 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Wow, a VEHICLE in the GARAGE? I have been my house less than a year, but it never crossed my mind that was possible (genuinely :)). Well done, good work.

Visiting psyliville folks sounds fun.

Hope sorting business stuff out is helping.

Detritus is one of my favorite words. I considered having a band called Clam Detritus. Then remembered my lack of musical talent

Wow :o
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#263 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Way to go, Wolfie! :)

Patteigh, like Will and I, you will both be known as "that weird couple with the SAME disease"... :rolleyes: <_<

That makes three of us here, Clay and I are on the list, too. How many more of us are there??? :blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#264 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,626 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well, we have been doing some out-of-season spring cleaning around here. It is our turn to host the family Christmas dinner for my family. We are slowly sorting through stuff, some of which is related to our now-closed retail business. We filled the garage with gems and detritus prior to closing the store in late June. July was a rest period, and from early August to early September we did some travelling, and met up with a few pholks phrom psillyville.

Today marked a major milestone. For the phirst time in six months, there is enough room to park one of our vehicles in the garage. Tonight, the Ford will be sheltered. :D

Yeah! Blame it on us!

That makes three of us here, Clay and I are on the list, too. How many more of us are there??? :blink:

We eat mostly gluten-free at home and when we go to PF Changs we all order gluten-free so we can share. So a teenager & a Hub plus a college student when he is home....not quite the same but the 3 of them probably equal 1 whole gluten-free person?

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#265 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

:(

So we added soy back in to Tim's diet and he seems fine on it after 3 months. Now we are trying mammal meat, and he is sick. So is he sick, or is he reacting to the meat? GRRRR.

- Vincent -

#266 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

I finally learned how to MultiQuote :)

Dave is the only non-celiac in the house hence he eats mostly gluten-free and has seen health benefits over the past three years. He has increased his bicycle riding to hundreds of miles per month -- before my diagnosis he was fit but packing a lot of unexplained weight -- sound familiar?

Yay Shadow!!! It is amazing how much easier it is to public speak to a subject you know well. I agree choosing this topic whenever possible is helpful to many. My son has given three Celiac speeches now. One in HS and two in college.

Parking in the garage - congratulations!!!! I have not parked in our "shop" since our first rental home in Santa Barbara back in '85. Somehow that garage addition has got lost in the game of life with my contractor hubby.

Wow, a VEHICLE in the GARAGE? I have been my house less than a year, but it never crossed my mind that was possible (genuinely :)). Well done, good work.

Visiting psyliville folks sounds fun.

Hope sorting business stuff out is helping.

Detritus is one of my favorite words. I considered having a band called Clam Detritus. Then remembered my lack of musical talent

Wow :o

Careful Mw -- you may have a Silly visitor one day ;) I am onto another piece of my silly health puzzle that docs and labs don't test for in the US :blink: -- believe it. Unfortunately I don't have the funds necessary to visit my friends in Oz or Europe so I'll figure my way around our silly health care system.

Dave is mostly gluten-free - he does eat out about once a month or with clients when necessary.

Yeah! Blame it on us!

We eat mostly gluten-free at home and when we go to PF Changs we all order gluten-free so we can share. So a teenager & a Hub plus a college student when he is home....not quite the same but the 3 of them probably equal 1 whole gluten-free person?

Edited -- doh lost this one in the multiquote haze --
Add Dave to the partial group.

forgot to also say -- do celiacs attract other sillys? Dave's Mom had Sjogren's Auto Hep and RA -- no wonder our kids hit the AI jackpot

So we added soy back in to Tim's diet and he seems fine on it after 3 months. Now we are trying mammal meat, and he is sick. So is he sick, or is he reacting to the meat? GRRRR.

So sorry to hear Tim is having a tough time reintroducing food....awful when you don't know it's food or just a virus -- also -- I had a delayed reaction when I added the few foods that passed my elimination test last year. Don't want to suggest re-removing soy - just it is tough to figure it out. :(

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#267 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

YAY!! Congrats!!

- Vincent -

#268 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

So sorry to hear Tim's having trouble re-introducing foods. I went through the elimination diet (only eating rice, vegetables and some fruit). It got extremely boring. Re-entering has to be a slow process but it's SO frustrating. Kareeng helped me a lot when I was going through it. You might find he had=s an easier time with chicken than red meat. Just know we're all pulling for him and sending lots of positive energy. It took me three years but now I'm able to eat a wide range of for. I don't seem to enjoy meat. I'll have an occasional steak. Thai food is tasty and tolerable to most.Keep us posted and remember we're here for you and your family.

Loey

#269 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yea he does fine with birds, fish and other non-mammal meat. Its only mammal meat he has a problem with .

- Vincent -

#270 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,626 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

So sorry to hear Tim's having trouble re-introducing foods. I went through the elimination diet (only eating rice, vegetables and some fruit). It got extremely boring. Re-entering has to be a slow process but it's SO frustrating. Kareeng helped me a lot when I was going through it. You might find he had=s an easier time with chicken than red meat. Just know we're all pulling for him and sending lots of positive energy. It took me three years but now I'm able to eat a wide range of for. I don't seem to enjoy meat. I'll have an occasional steak. Thai food is tasty and tolerable to most.Keep us posted and remember we're here for you and your family.

Loey

That's just cause I'm a smart a$$ who thinks laughing is good for digestion! That and, was it " riding a broomstick?" :0

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: