2225 replies to this topic

#1021 elye

elye

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Gawd... . .. ... :blink: .. ... .. .is this really how young kids are now organizing weddings/baby celebrations? ......Must have a pre-emptive word with my daughter........ <_< ....
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1022 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

. . . ... :blink:

You would be interested in hearing more about how the 'name day' fits into your niece's new religion/husband's country of origin/other and you are a little confused as to why you would be sending chocolates to an infant?? :huh: Could they send you more information...???
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#1023 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

I would give your niece the gift of not having to endure your presence, during which you would undoubtedly forget yourself and tell her what you thought about all this, and if the child turns out all right in spite of having this beotch for a mother I would give her what and when, or if, I felt like it.

I co-sign Shroomie. I've never heard of such a thing-- it's all so convoluted.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#1024 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

And on another wave, here in Canada, it no longer makes sense to make cents.

The one-cent coin, generally referred to as a "penny," was withdrawn from circulation today. That means that banks can no longer obtain it from the mint, and businesses can no longer buy rolls of them at the bank.

Most places have adopted what is known as Swedish Rounding, based on the formula used in Sweden after they abolished their .01 coin in the 1970s. After final totaling, including applicable taxes, the amount is rounded to the nearest five cents if payment is by cash. Payment by credit, debit, or check is still precise to the cent. But cash amounts ending in .x1 or .x2 are rounded down, while .x3 and .x4 are rounded up.

If you have pennies (we have a lot stashed in jars), they are still legal tender and can be spent anywhere, or deposited at the bank--just don't expect to get them as change.

Uncle Sam, you are way behind us Canucks. You still have paper currency at the $1 value. Oh, yes, also the rare $2 note. We got rid of our $1 note in 1987 and our $2 note in the mid 1990s. :o
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#1025 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Well, Peter, Canada is way behind us. We only have ten cent coins now. The Swedish rounding is between 1 and 10, or in other words above or below 5. We have $5, $10 and $20 notes and $1 and $2 coins, 10 cents, 20 cents and 50 cents.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#1026 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have already lectured my kids on this.
Future directive order to kids. On searching for the future spouse please take a look at an only child who has been orphaned. (No in-laws to deal with.)
.. and elope, and wait to have children for when you are prepared to provide for them.
Michigan

#1027 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Ah, interesting. Yesterday I saw a story the UK may lose the penny. With your money man heading our way it is all starting to make sense.

On the baby thing, do whatever you want. I am not very good at doing what I am told, and ignore wedding gift lists, choosing what I want to send. I don't expect to see my gifts proudly displayed in their house.

For babies, I get gifts of things I found useful with little ones. If this is their first baby, what do they know?

We had all sorts of unsolicited gifts when we had kids, some from virtual strangers. It was delightful, and totally unexpected. People welcome babies into the world however they want. Someone I know told her mother in law not to knit anything, as the baby wouldn't wear it. She was devastated. Would it have killed them to put the baby in it once and take a photo? I specifically asked her to make something fro my first, knowing what had happened, and she was delighted.

It all sounds like they want tight control. So, by doing something different, you would be helping them adjust to the exciting, new, lack of control that enters you life with young children :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#1028 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

What do my favorite psillies think of this....

A niece (on my husband's side of the family) was getting married. In a city that we would have to drive or take a few day's car ride to with very expensive hotel rates. (Cheaper to stay outside of city and take subway.) Did NOT send out invitations. E-mailed (everyone but my husband and I) an "invitation". My children were definately mentioned not invited as adults only invited although cousin about 1 year older was in the wedding party.
Don't worry she would find a babysitter for kids to stay at hotel with. (Really, leave my kids with special diet needs in a hotel room with a stranger? That I just paid a few thousand $ to get to place of wedding.) We were supposed to register to an online service to stay informed of the wedding plans.
(so more nonsense that I won't even bother going into) So we decided to stay home.

So then the happy couple is expecting and an actual invitation was mailed to the house! This was in my state and a reasonable distance. The invitation says only gift cards are appreciated. (million dollar big city living soace is too small to and online diaper service account set up to receive $. as transporting gifts back to home location is too much of a hassle.

Today I got an e-mail explaining that they chose a special name for the child to be able to celebrate "name day". That it is like a "small birthday celebration" I am to send a "small gift or chocolates" for this special occasion. (As you know they did have to pick a special name from a list for the honor a having a "name day celebration") It may not be a big deal this year since the baby is only a few months old, but this "WILL be a special day for (child) to be celebrating on this (specified date)."

Am I wrong for wanting to B!^ch slap her?

Honey, please B!^ch slap her for me (and do it 3 times for the three occasions!!!!). In this economy it's unfair to ask people to travel to a distant place for a wedding (gas prices) and I find it rude to ask for gifts. When I threw the party for DH & DS WE travelled to NJ. If we had expected people to come to us our head count would have been about 6 instead of 50 people. I also specified no presents but some friends brought them anyway. If someone wants to give a gift they're going to give it, even if they're told not to or possibly not even invited. My next door neighbor has had both of her children marry recently and one is now pregnant with twins. We're not invited (and wouldn't expect to be- big family, etc.). I choose to buy presents for the occasions because I want to not because I was given a list or told where they were registered. So once again B!^ch slap her for me!!!! They are definitely asking too much!

Love,
Loey

#1029 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

I would give your niece the gift of not having to endure your presence, during which you would undoubtedly forget yourself and tell her what you thought about all this, and if the child turns out all right in spite of having this beotch for a mother I would give her what and when, or if, I felt like it.

Thanks for the LOL Schroomie. Woke up at 5AM depressed and your post funnied it out of me. Hope your health has been doing well, dear friend!

Love,
Loey

#1030 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

And on another wave, here in Canada, it no longer makes sense to make cents.

The one-cent coin, generally referred to as a "penny," was withdrawn from circulation today. That means that banks can no longer obtain it from the mint, and businesses can no longer buy rolls of them at the bank.

Most places have adopted what is known as Swedish Rounding, based on the formula used in Sweden after they abolished their .01 coin in the 1970s. After final totaling, including applicable taxes, the amount is rounded to the nearest five cents if payment is by cash. Payment by credit, debit, or check is still precise to the cent. But cash amounts ending in .x1 or .x2 are rounded down, while .x3 and .x4 are rounded up.

If you have pennies (we have a lot stashed in jars), they are still legal tender and can be spent anywhere, or deposited at the bank--just don't expect to get them as change.

Uncle Sam, you are way behind us Canucks. You still have paper currency at the $1 value. Oh, yes, also the rare $2 note. We got rid of our $1 note in 1987 and our $2 note in the mid 1990s. :o

Not only are you an awesome moderator but you're a purveyor of very interesting facts. Love reading your posts.

Love,Loey

#1031 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

On the baby thing, do whatever you want. I am not very good at doing what I am told, and ignore wedding gift lists, choosing what I want to send. I don't expect to see my gifts proudly displayed in their house.

For babies, I get gifts of things I found useful with little ones. If this is their first baby, what do they know?

We had all sorts of unsolicited gifts when we had kids, some from virtual strangers. It was delightful, and totally unexpected. People welcome babies into the world however they want. Someone I know told her mother in law not to knit anything, as the baby wouldn't wear it. She was devastated. Would it have killed them to put the baby in it once and take a photo? I specifically asked her to make something fro my first, knowing what had happened, and she was delighted.

It all sounds like they want tight control. So, by doing something different, you would be helping them adjust to the exciting, new, lack of control that enters you life with young children :)

Ha! :D :D This is the BEST, most refreshing advice of all.....I totally agree, Warpie...

Not only are you an awesome moderator but you're a purveyor of very interesting facts. Love reading your posts.

Love,Loey

...Awesome mod, fact-provider......AND he (with his awesome wife) is a consummate dinner guest, as well... . . .. :) ;)
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#1032 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

Nothin' like getting up at 6am for class :lol:

#1033 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

Nothin' like getting up at 6am for class :lol:

My heart goes out to you (especially in the winter). When I was teaching I was up at 4:30 AM to exercise and get to school before 7 AM. Directly from school I headed to Grad School. When I got home I worked on Lesson Plans until 1 or 2AM then repeated the whole thing the next day. Weekends were spent on LP and assignments for Grad School. I can't believe that was 4 years ago and today I'm on disability. I empathize with you. I also wish I was well enough to have that kind of schedule again.Now I wake u at 4:30 because I can't sleep and try to stay upstairs on the computer until the heat comes on. So proud of you going to school Shadow, YOU ROCK!!!! When you have your coffee or tea i the AM think of me in RI doing the same.

BTW, my prayers came truse and the girl I tutor is going to start regular school in March. When I started tutoring her she was 3rd grade age but on a pre-K level (she was home schooled). Now she's readingg on a 2nd grade level. I hope to still be able to orkwith her pull out reading teacher and tutor her more often. I also hope to atend the IEP meetings as an advocate.

Love & Healing hugs (plus sending lots of energy),
Loey

#1034 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

Ha! :D :D This is the BEST, most refreshing advice of all.....I totally agree, Warpie...

...Awesome mod, fact-provider......AND he (with his awesome wife) is a consummate dinner guest, as well... . . .. :) ;)

I'm waiting for them to decide to visit RI. I want to meet my psillies!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Loey

#1035 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Well for the shower gift. I did send send a smaller monetary gift card. (I knew it was intended to be spent on diapers, straight to the trash!)

I will not send a 4 month old baby chocolate for "name day"

I will make up a list of excuses to spend less time with this "family" (by family I meant gold digger)

"Right down to the penny" will be a lost, forgotten phrase. Pennies used to make me feel rich when I was a kid.
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: