2225 replies to this topic

#1396 Loey

Loey

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

Yes, and another new meaning  too, Loey.  Our upstairs ensuite has full view of the roof, including my shower room which looks out over the harbor -- no door or curtain, no obscure glass.  They got here too early in the morning for me and kept me from washing my hair all day ;)  because I didn't want to BE the view :ph34r:

OK, I'll try to keep this PG. When Superman and I lived in NJ we had a townhouse and the master bathroom had a bay window (near the shower). One day I was showering (this was before we bought vertical shades that rose from the bottom) and all of a sudden I looked over to find two men on ladders working on the house. I quickly grabbed my towel and ran for cover. Of course at that time I was young and attractive (or so I've been told). DH got the shades that weekend! Hopefully they "took time to  enjoy the view".   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Love & (((Hugz))),

Loey

P.S. Today we're going to take DS out to lunch and then to the newly opened compassion clinic  :D  :D 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#1397 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Thanks, Psills....   :wub:   :wub:    Jack is, of course, shocked and grieving, but completely understood that we had to do what we did, without waiting.

Please give Jack a hug from me (and all us psillies) and have him give one to you and the rest of your family. A dear friend of ours just got out of rehab in Fla. (he's from NJ). His wife and son brought their dog Oreo along when they went to try to get him released last week and they were staying with their niece. Well Oreo ran away. The niece is still looking for Oreo but our friends are back in NJ.  :( I keep praying that Oreo is found. 

#1398 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Em, sorry to hear of your loss.

My old mog was 18 when she went, but that didn't make it any easier. She had liver failure too, they do tend to need to go quickly then.

Hugs x
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#1399 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

My tough week with turks continues.  Yesterday goy up and one of the inside poults kind of staggered out of the box and collapsed, gasping for air.  She died about an hour later.  The other two also looked feverish and were sneezing so I walked down to the chicken store (my truck is broken again) and got some antibiotic.  Made them water and food with tetracyclin and kept them inside so they'd be a little quieter.  They ate a ton but staggered around to get to and from the food.  When they'd try to scratch their heads (I assume because their noses were stuffed) they'd kind of fall over.  So sad to watch.

Didn't want to get up this morning and look, but when I cam into the room they were both up and standing in the pen saying "Where's our scrambled egg???"  Still feverish (they lay directly under the heat lamp and then spread their wings because it's too hot) and one has crusty goo all over his beak, but at least they're still up and moving.

If antibiotics are going to help, they should start feeling better this afternoon or tomorrow morning.  I'm thinking they have a mycobacterial infection - which is common in poultry but not usually bad - overlayed with another bacterial infection from being so stressed in that cage for three weeks.  The tetracycline is only minimally effective against the myco but should take care of anything else they have.  As will just being less stressed.

Gloria is fine so far.  I don't think I'll do turkeys again.  This is way too stressful.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#1400 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

Aw Jess, the poor wee sick ones:(. Stressful indeed-- hope the abx do the trick. You're a good mama;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#1401 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Who knew turkeys would be so difficult?  :(  Hope they feel better soon!

Here is a cute chick and Corgi story.  A guy I know has some little chicks in a pen his basement until he can put them outside.  He has been introducing the Corgis to them.  He hopes they will use their herding instincts to keep them in the yard and get them to come in at night.  Went down stairs to find his female Corgi.  She wasn't  coming up to go out for the night.  She was laying beside the pen and refused to budge.  One of the baby chickies had slipped out.  The Corgi was keeping the chick trapped between her body and the pen so she couldn't escape.  Chick was enjoying a snuggle with a warm dog.  :wub:

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#1402 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Awww.  That's adorable!

Butch is hoping one of the poults escapes so they can play 'ball' together......

- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#1403 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

My tough week with turks continues.  Yesterday goy up and one of the inside poults kind of staggered out of the box and collapsed, gasping for air.  She died about an hour later.  The other two also looked feverish and were sneezing so I walked down to the chicken store (my truck is broken again) and got some antibiotic.  Made them water and food with tetracyclin and kept them inside so they'd be a little quieter.  They ate a ton but staggered around to get to and from the food.  When they'd try to scratch their heads (I assume because their noses were stuffed) they'd kind of fall over.  So sad to watch.

Didn't want to get up this morning and look, but when I cam into the room they were both up and standing in the pen saying "Where's our scrambled egg???"  Still feverish (they lay directly under the heat lamp and then spread their wings because it's too hot) and one has crusty goo all over his beak, but at least they're still up and moving.

If antibiotics are going to help, they should start feeling better this afternoon or tomorrow morning.  I'm thinking they have a mycobacterial infection - which is common in poultry but not usually bad - overlayed with another bacterial infection from being so stressed in that cage for three weeks.  The tetracycline is only minimally effective against the myco but should take care of anything else they have.  As will just being less stressed.

Gloria is fine so far.  I don't think I'll do turkeys again.  This is way too stressful.

Oh Jess, so sorry. Keeping you, your family & the turks in my prayers!

Love & lots of healing (((hugs))),

Loey

Aw Jess, the poor wee sick ones:(. Stressful indeed-- hope the abx do the trick. You're a good mama;)

I agree- she's a totally awesome mama to all of her babes (human & turkey, etc) 

Who knew turkeys would be so difficult?  :(  Hope they feel better soon!

Here is a cute chick and Corgi story.  A guy I know has some little chicks in a pen his basement until he can put them outside.  He has been introducing the Corgis to them.  He hopes they will use their herding instincts to keep them in the yard and get them to come in at night.  Went down stairs to find his female Corgi.  She wasn't  coming up to go out for the night.  She was laying beside the pen and refused to budge.  One of the baby chickies had slipped out.  The Corgi was keeping the chick trapped between her body and the pen so she couldn't escape.  Chick was enjoying a snuggle with a warm dog.  :wub:

Thanks for a much needed smile. DS didn't get the internship, DH STILL has not heard about the job (he's assuming he didn't get it) and I just found out a dear friend of mine lost her brother on Friday and her 103 year old mother Monday night. I am so grateful that they made it to the party in NJ. Her mom and mine found us for each other when we were both hospitalized and were each in private rooms. We talked on the phone (from our hospital rooms) all night for weeks and have been friends for decades.  Just a sad day all around. Thank God for my psillies!!!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

#1404 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hugs Lo:(. I'm so sorry about your friend's losses and your son not getting the internship:(. Don't give up hope yet on the job-- ya never know:). Or maybe something more desire able will come along:)

Kharregine, sweet story:).

So a couple weeks ago I'm at the doctor and she thinks she feels something in the thyroid area. I go for the ultrasound, and they detect a largish area that they feel is a nodule. Evidently nodules over one centimeter are suspicious and need to be biopsied. The area in question is one and a half.

This morning, I went for the biopsy that they rushed and arranged in only 2 days. Not only did the radiologist not find a nodule at all, when he compared today's ultrasound to the last one, he said it was nothing more than a slight difference in the tissue and normal for me.

Talk about relieved......
Patti

#1405 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hugs Lo:(. I'm so sorry about your friend's losses and your son not getting the internship:(. Don't give up hope yet on the job-- ya never know:). Or maybe something more desire able will come along:)
So a couple weeks ago I'm at the doctor and she thinks she feels something in the thyroid area. I go for the ultrasound, and they detect a largish area that they feel is a nodule. Evidently nodules over one centimeter are suspicious and need to be biopsied. The area in question is one and a half.
This morning, I went for the biopsy that they rushed and arranged in only 2 days. Not only did the radiologist not find a nodule at all, when he compared today's ultrasound to the last one, he said it was nothing more than a slight difference in the tissue and normal for me.

The best nodule to have - none!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#1406 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

True dat! The radiologist and the tech apologized and I'm like-- please! All appointments like this should end this way!

They said that this doesn't happen often, but even so they have had patients who come in all psyched up to have the test and insist on it anyway.

Can you imagine???
Patti

#1407 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Can you imagine???

No! What excellent news, Patteigh! :)

Sorry to hear about DS, Loweeeee......he sounds like a winner, though -- he'll get something fantastic!

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#1408 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thank God they were wrong! It's so nice to hear good news. Thank you for your kind words - I needed encouragement today  :) I guess everything hit me at once.

DS is doing well and already set up a full-time (unpaid) internship with the public defender's office. You may recall he did that part time last summer as well as working at The Providence Hospital. He didn't enjoy the hospital (data entry 8 hrs a day with no breaks) but he was paid for that. Tony LOVED the PD's Office (he loves wearing suits and gets to do that while helping people). He'll also study for the LSAT's and tutor. He already has a house rented wih 8 friends for senior year and although his regular roommates won't be there this summer, he knows all the people who are subletting.

It's Superman I'm most worried about. He's really down and worried that he'll never get a job & we'll lose everything. I do remind him that we have a wonderful son and a great marriage (it would really suck if we didn't). Luckily we've been together long enough to face the strains of money on a marriage several times and thankfully we made it through and came out stronger. I do believe he'll find a job but I just hate to see him hurting. Now that I'm off the evil meds I'm a light sleeper and if he can't sleep I get up with him.

The best nodule to have - none!

Truer words were never spoken!

No! What excellent news, Patteigh! :)

Sorry to hear about DS, Loweeeee......he sounds like a winner, though -- he'll get something fantastic!

Thank you, he is a winner and I was proud with the way he sprung into action as soon as he heard they weren't taking him.

Thank you all for rallying around me. There are so many people that have it worse than we do but it's still scary when you have to live off all the money saved over 25 years. Thank God we saved.

#1409 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

Sorry LoLo. :(  Things are really hard out there now.  I still don't have a job, but then, I don't really want one.  I'm not sure how I managed to spent the last few years actually getting up and going to work; I feel like I lived in a fog of exhaustion for a long time.

To make a little extra money I started writing at textbroker.com.  You have to have good grammar and punctuation, and it isn't a lot of money, but it is something and you can work at your own pace.  It takes a while to get set up and you have to send in a writing sample and a W-9 and prove your a US resident.

Turks are still the same this morning (which I guess is good - at least they aren't getting worse).  We were all out playing yesterday and I didn't bring them in until they were falling asleep on their feet.  I decided that happy is a healthier thing than quiet and resting, which they weren't inclined to do anyway.

I also discovered that there's a hawk in the neighborhood.  Interesting to watch the babies dive for cover when it swooped.  I ended up sitting outside with them for several hours to keep everybody safe.

- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#1410 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Sorry LoLo. :(  Things are really hard out there now.  I still don't have a job, but then, I don't really want one.  I'm not sure how I managed to spent the last few years actually getting up and going to work; I feel like I lived in a fog of exhaustion for a long time.

To make a little extra money I started writing at textbroker.com.  You have to have good grammar and punctuation, and it isn't a lot of money, but it is something and you can work at your own pace.  It takes a while to get set up and you have to send in a writing sample and a W-9 and prove your a US resident.

Turks are still the same this morning (which I guess is good - at least they aren't getting worse).  We were all out playing yesterday and I didn't bring them in until they were falling asleep on their feet.  I decided that happy is a healthier thing than quiet and resting, which they weren't inclined to do anyway.

I also discovered that there's a hawk in the neighborhood.  Interesting to watch the babies dive for cover when it swooped.  I ended up sitting outside with them for several hours to keep everybody safe.

Thanks my friend. :)  I can relate to the fog & exhaustion. I'm glad you found something from home. Right now I can't sit at a computer for long stretches so hopefully someday ...

I'm glad you're spending so much time with the babies. I bet it's therapeutic for them, as well as, you. Keeping you all in my prayers!

Love,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Loey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: