Interesting Article...

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DanceswithWolves_*

Guest_DanceswithWolves_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a friend that mailed me an interesting article from the Utah Tribune newspaper on Celiac disease relating to a family that lives out there. How they cope wit it, symptoms, etc.

I wanted to post the link to the article online but they will only give you part of the article and you must register and pay about $2.95 to receive the rest. I wish I could scan it and upload it, but can't. :(
Celiac article
Anyhow, I had my follow-up visit and I weighed in at a whooping 125lbs!
The doctors felt I was making progress although I explained that I was disapointed with the Gastrologist they sent me to.
I asked for a copy of all my lab work.
Everything came back negative.
Liver's OK...
No Celiac (according to them)
Fat absorbtion levels good.
I am, however having difficulty reading these numbers on this chart. Is there a way I can understand the numbers?

:blink: :unsure: :unsure: :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

What a shame,that looked like a good article!
Glad to hear that you've put some weight on.
Maybe you could post your results on this board-I'm sure someone could decipher your results,or try www.labtestsonline.org (sorry couldn't get link to work), it is an English website so I dunno if it's any good for your results.
Good Luck! ;)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#3 paw

paw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

I did a google and got what I think is the complete article if you want to read it. http://www.gfutah.or...akeTribune1.htm

#4 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the link, paw -

Good article.

I found this section to be of particular interest,

"And they must be vigilant about unexpected sources of gluten. About a year into a gluten-free diet, Kegan began to show symptoms and his parents were puzzled. The gluten, they later discovered, was in the Teflon pans; Eileen Leatherow immediately exchanged them for stainless steel. "

...because an administrator of this board told us recently that teflon was ok as long as it was washed well and sent through the dishwasher...this is what he said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A thourough hand and dishwasher cleaning should be all that is needed--neither teflon nor wood should retain gluten in any amount that could detected if the items are washed properly.

I believe that this is one of those Internet rumors that won't seem to die.

Take care,
Scott
That was from this thread:
http://www.glutenfre...=ST&f=27&t=6524
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps that family in Utah wasn't washing their Teflon pans well-enough?
Or, is this truly an issue we need to be aware of????

I ask because I baby-sit my nieces and nephew and need to know if it's Ok or not to use Teflon pans...and I cook at my boyfriend's place...I have been 'chalking-up' my remaining symptoms to not having gone dairy-free yet.

Gina

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

Gina--I am wondering about this, too. My pans are not Teflon but have a nonstick surface -- the brand name is Ultrex and I don"t know exactly what the surface is made of. A couple of the pans have spots where the nonstick has been cut. My dishwasher has a sanitizing cycle which I use for every load. I wonder if I should be concerned?
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:42 PM

Just moving this one back to the top...it seems important enough to do so...

Gina

#7 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:11 AM

I don't think there's any reason to suspect "virgin" teflon pans, I think the contamination risk is if they are scratched or pocked or even honeycombed (like some I recently used) and that they can harbor gluten - if gluten items have been prepared in them, first.

I don't know what to think of this being an urban legend - it seems to me if anything can retain a small amount of gluten, then it can be a hazard.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: