14 replies to this topic

#1 qwertygirl

qwertygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Does anyone else experience this -- eating too much gluten-free processed products making them sick? I felt awful after Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, and I cooked the entire thing myself. I was very careful about gluten. Had gluten-free stuffing and gluten-free pie crusts, a gluten-free turkey and a host of other things. About a half hour after dinner I was feeling terrible. No one else was sick.

I think I overdid it on the gluten-free products, which I rarely eat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

mmm... the gluten free items are good as a treat every once in a while, however if you over eat them then yeah. The only ones i can eat on a regular basis is my corn tortillas and my chex. I cannot eat pasta more than once every other week, or else.

More than likely you're sensative to one of the flours that is used in those. I for one cannot handle bean flours without becoming a balloon.

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

I found this too.

I now do rice pasta couple of times a week and the odd gluten-free brownie or muffin.

I was literally sick 2 weeks in to gluten-free. I think it was the corn for me,along with extra salt fat and sugar.

Great as treats, wholefoods might be better everyday.

Good luck
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

I have found that anything that has cellulose in it makes me sick. I have to watch the labels very carefully. Even my toothpaste got me.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

More than likely you're sensative to one of the flours that is used in those. I for one cannot handle bean flours without becoming a balloon.

Good point. There are flours and other things, such as xanthan gum, in gluten-free goods that are not typically found in other food products.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 qwertygirl

qwertygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Good point. There are flours and other things, such as xanthan gum, in gluten-free goods that are not typically found in other food products.

Yeah, I think the xanthan gum makes me ill, too. Which makes me wonder why I own a $10 bag of it. :(

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

I think that they can add up. I'm one of the super sensitive ones and don't eat very many at all.

#8 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

I personally sensitive to the "gums" in gluten free packaed foods - xanthan, guar, acacia, etc. if I eat very many packages foods or too often then I get stomach cramping and spend way too much time in the bathroom. I highly recommend curing the packaged foods out and eating only whole foods for a couple of weeks and then trying the packaged foods just a little at a time and one product at a time. That is how I've determined my level of sensitivity to them.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#9 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

GMO'd, Processed food. All are created using chemicals. All things in moderation and even less of the nasties. IMO

Colleen

:D HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY :D

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderat

#10 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

I can't handle the corn and extra sugar in many gluten-free processed foods. Just lost my shop bought choc chip muffins. It isn't like a gluten reaction for me, mostly reflux and D.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#11 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

For me it is the fats and dairy and anything that makes IC flare up. I have to live by the IC diet as well. It is a challenge.

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Most of them have soy, or dairy, or potato flour (nightshade), or grape juice as a sweetner. All of those cause me problems. You can react to any ingredient and develop an intolerance to it.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

This answer is over a year old, but it's got some good info: http://celiacdisease...ng-Glutened.htm
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

#14 Gluten Free For My Kid

Gluten Free For My Kid

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm new to this site. My son is allergic to gluten (among many other things - but Dr said he MUST eliminate gluten and peanuts!) (not a Celiac patient). We just found out. He's 9. His allergic reactions show up as severe sinus issues and intestinal issues (which I won't get specific about).

Anyway, going gluten-free, I have found myself allowing him to have things that I normally never would (like gluten-free tortilla chips at lunch, or gluten-free cereal, which has less fiber, protein and more sugar than I usually allow, in the morning). I don't know if it's his insides getting all "cleaned out" or if he's having a problem with the extra sugar and fat.... but he is experiencing some new intestinal issues. This has given me even more to think about. yikes and thank you for all your info.

#15 Hala

Hala

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

Me too
http://www.celiac.co...tc/#entry843017

It's comforting knowing I'm not alone!

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease after positive blood test and endoscopy (total villous atrophy and inflammation)

Gluten-free since 13th November 2012

Asperger's Syndrome.

Crohn's Disease.

Pancreatic Insufficiency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: