This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Oh, Oh Rash

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Last evening something felt a little change on my rear- end -cheek. I looked in order to see three huge red welts on my bottom. Over another hour the number of welts increased to four. This morning the welts were" gone," but it looked rather like bright red sandpaper on that "cheek". The area is about the size and shape of the palm of my hand. It doesn't itch much, but it does if I accidentally rub against it. I noticed one big scratch accross the top of the area. The rash reminds me of the exzema I use to get, only I never got that there. I also have generalized itching and some swelling on my body and one strip of itch on my neck. The neck has been a problem off and on with itching ever since an age spot fell off there. I think my chiro said the neck was DH. It is so small it isn't a problem much. I am not sure if the current problem is DH or not, but I am concerned that I am in for it.

I am afraid to put anything on it, because I react recently to practically anything I put on my skin. That includes peppermint, eucalyptus, and tea tree oil.. . I could rotate them like I am doing in my diet.? For now, I have perhaps a mild burning or stinging sensation. I don't have to do anything at all. If it gets uncomfortable perhaps I can try some things but keep alternating them.. Perhaps, though, ice would be the least likely to cause further flare ups. I would also be afraid to try any drugs because I have had negative reactions to any and all drugs that I have tried to use for anything for years.

I will not be posting pictures because of the location. Othere possibly relevant information I am about 6 months gluten free. I had recently eaten some buckwheat that was ground on the same equipment as wheat and corn. Both of these are a problem for me. I began a food diary with a rotational diet a week or so ago, but am finding it hard to get organised. Still I feel clear headed and more energetic. I am wondering if this rash is further clean out or from the cross contamination I got.

I reacted last Saturday night to eating a dinner which contained chicken, fennel bulb, almond milk, arrowroot powder, and spices. I suspect the arrowroot powder or spices. I reacted by having swollen thighs and tummy swelling. My husband also noticed my cheeks looked bright red.

Well, didn't I want to have something somebody could atleast see I had? My husband was suitably impressed with my rash. Thankfully, no one else will need to see it. Oh, except my chiro may want to try to classify it.

I hope to have all kinds of advice to come back to when I do. My computer is not working.

Diana

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

As far as I know, chiropractors do not diagnose or treat dermatitis herpetiformis.

And when I had urticaria from gluten, the last thing I would have put on those sores was eucalyptis or peppermint, unless you want

to feel like you are on fire. Open wounds do not respond well to those oils being applied directly to them.

If it is better this morning, I would find it unlikely it is DH.

Sometimes, a rash is just a rash.

As far as I know, chiropractors do not diagnose or treat dermatitis herpetiformis.

And when I had urticaria from gluten, the last thing I would have put on those sores was eucalyptis or peppermint, unless you want

to feel like you are on fire. Open wounds do not respond well to those oils being applied directly to them.

If it is better this morning, I would find it unlikely it is DH.

Sometimes, a rash is just a rash.

It was different this morning. Not better. My chiro has a gluten problem herself, so she does have some personal

experience with it. She also has professional training in rashes. She is also a friend. The rash has spread some. It is puffy to the max and has started off down my leg. It definatly burns especially when I sit on it.

Sometimes a rash is a rash is a rash!

ciamarie Rookie

It may be part of the healing process, I sometimes get random itchy spots for no apparent reason. However, they itch for a few minutes or maybe the afternoon / evening and then they're gone. On the other hand, I quit drinking almond milk and similar items long ago, due to the carageenan and natural flavors since I noticed MSG type additives as well as sulfites cause problems for my skin, in addition to gluten.

So, since it appears to be spreading, I'd be sure to note it in your food diary and maybe try eliminating anything new you've had in the last couple of days and see what happens. If you have some lotion with tea tree oil, that might help soothe the itch.

IrishHeart Veteran

I suggest seeing a medical doctor if your rash is getting worse and spreading down your leg.

It could be cellulitis--which is dangerous and you will want to rule that out.

kareng Grand Master

Re welts sound like an allergic reaction to something? It got better (welts went away leaving just some irratated skin) when you slept but is getting worse now. Sounds like something you do during the day is causing an allergic reaction? Maybe something you are eating or touching?

I think You should have a medical doctor check that. Chiropractors have thier uses but they aren't "trained" in rashes, etc.

It stopped spreading and is drying. I think I remember another rash that was evidentally clean out in the past. It acted simalar. I will give this a day or two and then see where it goes. I am feeling okay besides it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

The MD said that Celluitis would have a very hard knob in it somewhere. The rash was of unknown origen. She thought it could be an allergic reaction or a bug bite. I would like to say that it is winter in MN and there are very few bugs around. Nobody else has bites. I received some steroid cream to put on it. I am saving it incase it worsens, but today It has improved and so far tonight is okay. I guess that should wrap up this thread.

Diana

Archived