This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When Do Symtoms Decrease?

adambryant

adambryant Explorer

Hi all, I've been gluten-free for about 2 and a half weeks now. The BAD flatulence I was getting has totally gone, and the bloating has decreased a little after eating, I did have 'C'(lucky for one bm a week, now its pretty regular just rabbit pellets!:P)

I was just wondering if you had these symptoms when did they finally go or decrease? Also if you had no appetite, when did that come back?! Thankyou.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

My elimination problems (I had "D") didn't resolve for 18 months on a very strict gluten-free diet, but my appetite was never a problem. If "C" or rabbit pellets continue to give you a problem, you might try adding freshly ground flaxseeds to your salads or smoothies (you can use a coffee grinder--freshly ground flaxseed lose their nutritional value after 20 minutes). Some people have found that L-Glutamine helped their guts heal faster.

DavinaRN Explorer

That's when I started getting better also, I added fiber gummies and a probiotic from Costco to my intake. 5 weeks in and I go most every day. Nice soft formed and it no longer floats (means I'm now absorbing nutrients).

burdee Enthusiast

My symptoms (cramping pain, bloating, gas, constipation) didn't disappear until I resolved all the other problems (besides gluten intolerance/celiac disease). Avoiding gluten and dairy helped somewhat (the most extreme cramping pain decreased). Substituting soy products for dairy products exacerbated my symptoms. So I eliminated soy and got more relief. However, getting an ELISA test for other delayed reaction allergies helped me find more (really unexpected sources) food allergies. Abstaining from all my 7 diagnosed allergens helped, but I still had bloating, gas and constipation. I was also diagnosed with (by stool tests) and treated for 8 different gut bugs (bacteria, parasites and candida) over a 4 year period. Eventually I was diagnosed by Heidelberg capsule test with low stomach acid production. Taking betaine hydrochloride supplements before meals really improved digestion, which helped decrease the bloating and gas. Nevertheless constipation continued (despite trying all the suggestions from people with constipation solutions) until I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism (actually Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is highly correlated with gluten intolerance). Constipation is a common symptom of hypothyroidism. My docs didn't even consider hypothyroidism because I was thin, although I always had low blood pressure, low pulse and low body temperature (all common hypothyroid symptoms). I'm glad I found a naturopath who knew enough to test me for stomach acid production and hypothyroidism, because treating those conditions finally resolving my remaining symptoms.

Obviously, I'm the extreme example of many causes for my gut symptoms. However, I just want to suggest that you keep looking for causes of symptoms after you rigidly avoid gluten or whatever other food allergies you may have (esp. those diagnosed by accurate blood tests). Hopefully you won't need 8 years to resolve all your symptoms. Nevertheless, hang in there and keep asking your doc for tests (or find a good naturopath, if mainstream docs discount your symptoms).

adambryant Explorer

Ahh thanks for that, I haven't been positively tested, but my mother has it. Since going gluten-free the terrible gas odour has gone but the C and a bit of bloating is there also don't have an appetite much but I still eat. Just hoping it is the gluten what's causing this so I've got to the bottom of it at last!

GottaSki Mentor

Hang in there Adam!

It can take time -- if you don't improve after a few more weeks - do think about removing dairy -- the damage caused by Celiac Disease often makes it hard to digest dairy until you have healed. If you do end up removing dairy, you will likely get it back -- make sure to trial it every six months.

I have very little appetite when my symptoms are active. I find that I get very hungry when my symptoms are improving -- kind of a sign that I'm headed in the right direction once again. Eventually everything equalizes and my appetite decreases to a normal level.

adambryant Explorer

Thanks! And I've been avoiding milk a little, and when I tried it a couple of days ago it made me feel more bloated that day and about half an hour after it! So I'm avoiding milk from now on. Should I avoid eggs to?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

If you can link a reaction to eggs - remove them. Same with any food that you know bothers you. If you haven't noted a specific reaction - stick with gluten and dairy free for a month or two before you consider removing other foods. Give your body a chance to see if that is enough.

adambryant Explorer

Okay thanks:)

Archived