4 replies to this topic

#1 megansmommy

megansmommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Can anyone give me any insight to hot cocoa causing a celiac reaction?

My daughter has celiac disease, diagnosed 2 years ago. We follow a very strict gluten free diet.
For the last week she has been having a lot of stomach problems, even though we are certain everything
she is eating is gluten free. Twice this weekend she had a bad reaction immediately after drinking hot cocoa,
which the label says is gluten free. She has drank this brand in the past and not had any problems.

Could it be the milk used to make the cocoa? She drinks milk all the time with no issues.

Its so frustrating to see her get sick, and not know the cause. Is there anything anyone can suggest
we can do to try to figure out what is making her sick?

Thanks for the help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

It could be the cocoa was manufactured in a facility that processes wheat. I was looking at the popular hot cocoa products at the grocery store and none of them are gluten-free. I figure I will have to make hot cocoa from scratch. Hope you find a solution.

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

I agree with the idea that the cocoa being cc'd by the factory. If she has hand no issues prior to this with milk, then i believe she's fine with it.

#4 megansmommy

megansmommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

The cocoa mix was Swiss Miss, it says gluten free on the package. She has drank this brand for the last 2 years with no problems.
She drank it 3 times over the last 3 days, twice she got sick within 30 minutes of drinking it, the other time she was fine?

#5 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Sometimes we have to remind ourselves to think outside of the box. :) Chocolate and High Frutose Corn Syrup give me terrible reflux within 15-20 minutes, with chocolate being the worst as far as symptoms.

It's not gluten related, yet bad enough that I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I'm not sure if this is your situation, but....

OH WOW...And a great welcome to you! :rolleyes:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: