4 replies to this topic

#1 Spartans1960

Spartans1960

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

To all Celiacs, the only thing I see as suspicious In Kelloggs corn flakes is malt flavoring, anyone try this cereal and not have problems, yes I understand the varying degrees of gluten sensitivity, however, what's holding up Kelloggs from changing to something else????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

um... no... never.... :blink: i so would not try it....

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Has nothing to do with k

To all Celiacs, the only thing I see as suspicious In Kelloggs corn flakes is malt flavoring, anyone try this cereal and not have problems, yes I understand the varying degrees of gluten sensitivity, however, what's holding up Kelloggs from changing to something else????

Has nothing to do with "varying degrees of gluten sensitivity". If you have Celiac disease, no amount of gluten is medically acceptable, even with no visible symptoms.

As to why Kellogg's doesn't change the formula, good question for Kellogg's. :)

Lets consult the experts:

http://www.curecelia...guide/treatment

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms."

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

You might find this interesting!

Extract:

It is a bit tricky to accurately test for barley hordein in food.
One assay, the sandwich omega-gliadin ELISA, severely underestimates gluten from barley, having a cross-reactivity of only 4 to 8%.

Another assay, the sandwich R5 ELISA, overestimates gluten from barley by a factor of 2.

When it comes to testing for gluten in a highly hydrolyzed product, such as barley malt, the test that usually overestimates barley contamination (i.e., the sandwich R5 ELISA) may now underestimate it.

There is an assay available for testing hydrolyzed ingredients–the competitive R5 ELISA—but the unit of measure for this assay is gluten peptides versus gluten.

Unfortunately, it is somewhat difficult to evaluate peptide concentration in terms of parts per million of gluten.
Thomas Grace, CEO of Bia Diagnostics, a food testing facility in Burlington, Vermont, says the following concerning the use of barley malt and barley malt extract in gluten-free foods:

“In my opinion until there is a reliable method that can detect all hydrolyzed hordeins (the harmful protein in barley) in these malts and extracts and correlate them with minimal reactive thresholds, manufacturers might want to stay away from barley malt and barley malt extract in gluten free labeled products.
We might find that some barley malts and barley malt extracts are fine for persons with celiac disease, but until we know that for sure and have a reliable method for verification one should proceed on the side of caution.”

http://www.glutenfre...ten-free-foods/
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#5 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Malt flavoring is a big no-no!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: