Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

How Long Does It Take To Heal?

7 posts in this topic

I started going gluten free a year ago, but I still have pain. I am better than I used to be, but definitely not without digestive problems. I get glutened still from cross contamination from my roommates, and accidentally eating something little (like gum) that has trace amounts of gluten in. But I am learning how to eat, and I'll be out of this cc environment in 2.5 weeks.

How long did it take for you to heal up?

with the amount of cc you've had, i'd say it probably take a few more months to be fully healed. An example of this is say you just fell and skinned your knee (before gluten free). It starts scabbing over and healing, then you fall again reopening it (cc-ing). It may not be as bad as it was before but it still hurts.

If that makes any sense whatsoever.

I don't know how long it will take, but some things that could help recover are very strong (10's of billions of cells) probiotics. Prebiotics help the probiotics act better. Giving the gut some really good bacteria may ease the recovery time and help you feel better sooner. If you look online there are some brands that have up to 75 billion cells for daily use and some that have 200 billion for a week-long regimen to help heal.

I don't know how long it will take, but some things that could help recover are very strong (10's of billions of cells) probiotics. Prebiotics help the probiotics act better. Giving the gut some really good bacteria may ease the recovery time and help you feel better sooner. If you look online there are some brands that have up to 75 billion cells for daily use and some that have 200 billion for a week-long regimen to help heal.

My question kind of relates to this post...but how long does it take to notice the effects of the probiotics? Could we see a difference in a couple days or does it take weeks?

How long did it take for you to heal up?

My question kind of relates to this post...but how long does it take to notice the effects of the probiotics?

The answer for both of these questions is everyone is different.

Some heal completely within months, others take years.

Some notice improvement from probiotics within weeks, others don't notice they are helping -- I took them my first year gluten-free, but did not think they were helping - I was wrong - whether or not you know probiotics are working, they are important in a healing digestive system. Keeping the "good guys" working so the "bad guys" don't take over is very important.

Sounds like once you don't have as many cc issues in a few weeks you may see more improvement. Take the transition time to tighten up your diet - add probiotics and digestive enzymes if you experience digestive troubles - you'll keep improving.

Thanks for the response. I had almost wanted to give up probiotics, because I can't see it making a difference. Glad you are seeing good results of taking them after all that time. I'll keep taking them!

The answer for both of these questions is everyone is different.

Some heal completely within months, others take years.

Some notice improvement from probiotics within weeks, others don't notice they are helping -- I took them my first year gluten-free, but did not think they were helping - I was wrong - whether or not you know probiotics are working, they are important in a healing digestive system. Keeping the "good guys" working so the "bad guys" don't take over is very important.

Sounds like once you don't have as many cc issues in a few weeks you may see more improvement. Take the transition time to tighten up your diet - add probiotics and digestive enzymes if you experience digestive troubles - you'll keep improving.

I have had 30 years of undiagnosed celiac. The MD told me that it would take 6 months (ateast to heal) I am about 6 months into a grain free diet and have felt recently that my body is working hard to recover. I also discovered many of my products are cross contaminated. I have been slowly going through various medical tests to help me in my plight. Sometimes I feel okay or even really good, but I experienced a 6 week bug recently. I felt extreme fatigue and all of the old stuff. I am finally out of that and being more careful than ever about the foods I purchase.

I have some questions for you, how bad do you want to have energy? What are you willing to give up for your health? Can you bypass gluten inspite of social pressure, and your own desires? Are you willing to eat only foods that will enhance your health, or do you want to eat junk? Do you smoke or drink? How long have you been having symptoms of Celiac? Are you willing to take supplements to help improve your health? I think the answer to these questions will mean a difference in healing faster, or slower, or never healing at all. I can't tell you how long it will take to heal, but that you can optimize healing by what you do.

Get well, and get well soon.

Diana