Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Sharing My Experience...hope It Will Help With Inflammation And Heartburn

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I have recently realized I am gluten intolerant. I do not believe I have Celica's b/c I had no symptoms previously and I absorb food just fine.

However, gluten now gives me a painful arthritic flu as well as triggers asthma. By the way, something like 1/2 of asthmatics have food allergies with wheat being one of the big ones. Although I'm not allergic, but intolerant. It's all related though imo.

I wanted to share a few things I've done that help in the hopes they will aid others here. I haven't seen them mentioned and I came to them more through my history of asthma and adrenal insufficiency than from the Celiac/GI side of things.

I have been on a low carb low sugar low gluten diet for years because I'm prediabetic from all the steroids used to treat the asthma. When I eat what I call 'stupid carbs' I have learned to mitigated the 'carb hangover' by taking Alpha Lipoic Acid in high doses. This is a neat anti-oxidant because it is both fat and water soluble and thus can enter our cells at twice the rate. This cuts the carb hangover by about 60-70% (for me at least, your mileage may vary).

Over the last year though, I've developed a rash (eczema) and have had some flashes of joint pain after consuming carbs. Nothing serious and I wasn't too worried about it since I was rather busy having an adrenal crisis and recovering from that. Now, looking back, I believe this was the gluten intolerance showing its face.

Then last week, I ate a bunch of stupid carbs (a situation brought about by an empty fridge on grocery shopping day) and ran out of Alpha Lipic Acid.

For the first time in years, I got the full bore gluten flu. OMG. It was horrific and sidelined me for more than a week.

I spent a lot of time goolging how to recover and reading Celiac websites. No one mentioned using 'nutraceuticals' to assist in recovery from gluten exposure. I don't know if there's a reason for that or not, but I do want to encourage folks to look into this avenue of possible help.

Alpha Lipoic Acid has great anti-inflammatory effects. I've used it orally for years and this past year started getting it via IV from an Integrative MD who specializes in alternative therapies. I buy it at Vitamin World which often has buy 1 get 1/2 off the second bottle or get the second for a penny. There are different forms of ALA and you need to the R form if you want to try it. A great place to research vitamins is (although you do have to pay, it's not free.).

My other suggestion for those of you battling with doctors is to look for Integrative or Functional Medicine MDs. I think they are much more attuned to situation like yours--they are not as quick to ignore patient experience ime. Nutritional IVs may also speed up healing once you've gone gluten free. Sometimes these docs are independent and don't take insurance, but it's not completely unaffordable. You'll pay $199 for the first office visit and between $100-250 for each IV. This area of medicine also has a better understanding of nutrition and uses it as a treatment a lot.

Last, for the heart burn...I am a GERD girl. It runs in my family big time. I have had great luck with digestive enzymes from the Integrative MD.However, I don't think my digestive enzymes are gluten free, so you'd really want to talk to a doc who uses them and who can figure out which ones are safe for you. It's cheaper than Prilosec and there are all sorts of ancillary health benefits from using them.

Thanks for all the info you have posted here. I am reading it avidly and I hope my post offers some help to you.

Ads by Google:

Welcome to the forum MM, :)

And thanks for sharing your story! Alternative medicine is interesting to me. Alt medical practitioners do seem to have a more open mind when it comes to food related issues.

Yes, Alternative Medicine is really interesting and it can be very helpful. I wish it was more covered by insurance as it can get expensive. I spent probably $8k trying to sort out my inability to recover from an adrenal crisis and we eventually found I wasn't making enough progesterone which is used to produce cortisol. Now I'm doing Bio-identical hormone replacement a la Suzanne Somers with good results.

I have a blog of the same title as my user name if anyone wants to read more about my experience.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• It really can be anywhere or any random source, Few tips, as mentioned eat whole foods only nothing processed, Use Freezer paper on your prep surfaces to fix your foods, perhaps gloves in case your touching something else (door to fridge, pantry, computer keyboard, etc) that might have trace gluten residue. Have dedicated gluten-free cooking utensils, pots, and pans. Check your soaps, shampoos, make up and other hygiene products, these might also contain gluten that could be cross contaminating.  I personally had this exact issue and broke down sold everything I had and started new in a new apartment, new appliances, new everything since I was getting sick at least twice a week and could not hold a job. I will link you to the list of gluten ingredients to look out for. Hopefully you can find the cause and not have to go as radical as I did to get relief. It might be something as simple as a spice, or a random product in you house.
    • Thanks for your replies...!  Thanks for all the tips, I am indeed on a caveman diet and trying to figure out what works best. I had rice on Friday and unfortunately did get a reaction (bloating/nervousness), which for now makes carbs a thing of the past. I do indeed do very well on protein and am becoming picky about the ingredients in foods as well. For example I had asparagus the other day but they were packed in citric acid. Little did I know citric acid had sugar. Suffered a severe reaction. All-natural indeed is the only way to go when it comes to curing this thing..  Well, it's a valuable lesson. I never drank enough during my childhood but I'm trying to drink at least a bottle nowadays. It probably contributed to my gut issues.  I'll do my best and see how it goes.  Thanks again, Ken
    • I was in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana & South Africa this summer, with very few problems.  I brought a ton of Kind bars, Justin's peanut butter packets and Costco beef jerky just in case!  I get the Kind Bars and Justin's on Amazon Prime.  Africans eat a lot of meat (try the Kudu, it's awesome!) and veggies.  Stay away from sauces.  I don't recommend eating the Mopane tree worms, even though they are gluten-free.  I tried to get out of it, but my tour leader said they were gluten-free and I had to try it as part of the experience....ewwwww!  lol  gluten-free is quite popular in South Africa...they call in the Banting diet.  Maybe they know it up north as well?  I would definitely stay away from chips because you have no idea what else has been in the same fryer oil.  One chicken nugget and you're toast.  I've never had a problem with rice.  Have a great trip...Africa is amazing!  
    • Hi Jan, Have you had any allergy testing? Could be you are allergic to something else. My daughter is Celiac and was still getting ill & feeling awful after going gluten-free. Found out through several blood tests that she is allergic to shrimp, wheat, yeast & sesame seeds. Many GlutenFree foods contain the things she is allergic too so her food choices just had to change. But she was recently diagnosed with EoE from her lastest endoscopy after being  sick with horrible acid.  Go have more testing with a GI doctor that is current with celiac disease and it's many different symptoms. Knowledge is a powerful weapon and you need to try and stay positive. You have many people who you can turn to and a big Celiac family that is always ready to listen & help where they can! Welcome to the forum 👍🏻
    • Hi Janst, It might help to simplify your diet.  Eliminate possibilities of gluten sneaking into your diet.  It's pretty easy to make mistakes with your diet when transitioning to gluten-free eating.  I suggest eating only whole foods for a 6 month period until you get used to things.  Cross contamination is another thing to look out for.  Shared peanut butter, butter, or other condiments can spread gluten in small amounts and make us sick.  Sometimes medicines or vitamins can have gluten, even teas and spices are possibilities.  Kissing a person who has eaten gluten recently can cause problems too. Keep trying because every time you make a mistake you learn something. You might want to try stopping all dairy for a while to see if that helps also. And welcome to the forum
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member