This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Playing With Fire?

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

I have been off gluten since 07 and at first was super strict and it made me absolutely paranoid and I hated life, so I decided to toss caution in the wind and go back to eating out and my life has been great again. I am still SUPER careful when I dine at restaurants but I just dont obsess the way I used to. Thing is, can I still be harming myself? i never had a positive celiac diagnosis and my blood tests and biopsies came back negative, but my stool anti gliadin tests were positive and I carry 1 of the 2 celiac genes. My mother is negative for both celiac and the genes but her stool tests were positive and she seems to do fine on gluten, even though I think she would benefit from eliminating it from her diet but shes stubborn.

After all these years I still dont know what I really have but I do know that I do ok most of the time when eating out. I often dont even inform my waiter of my sensitivity and just order and eat carefully and am fine

So the other day at Thanksgiving I accidentally ate gravy that had flour in it. I shouldve asked the host but it looked so liquidy that i didnt think there could possibly be any flour in there..well i was wrong. Minutes after eating I developed major bloating and was uncomfortable the rest of the night, however the next day I felt completely fine. So obviously my body still doesnt like gluten but my question is could this be celiac or just gluten intolerance? also since my body has not had gluten in a long time could this reaction have been my GI going into "defense mode"? While I felt very bloated I wasnt really very gassy...just kinda felt like my GI seized up and was being squeezed.

So i guess my question is should i just keep being careful or do i really need to be super strict again?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

eh, just avoid it imo. I'm as strict as i can be, but for part of the year i live with gluten eaters... there are times when i wonder if i accidently cc'd myself. I don't have major symptomes like some of the others (the big one is "C" and axiety), so sometimes its hard to tell.

burdee Enthusiast

I have been off gluten since 07 and at first was super strict and it made me absolutely paranoid and I hated life, so I decided to toss caution in the wind and go back to eating out and my life has been great again. I am still SUPER careful when I dine at restaurants but I just dont obsess the way I used to. Thing is, can I still be harming myself? i never had a positive celiac diagnosis and my blood tests and biopsies came back negative, but my stool anti gliadin tests were positive and I carry 1 of the 2 celiac genes. My mother is negative for both celiac and the genes but her stool tests were positive and she seems to do fine on gluten, even though I think she would benefit from eliminating it from her diet but shes stubborn.

After all these years I still dont know what I really have but I do know that I do ok most of the time when eating out. I often dont even inform my waiter of my sensitivity and just order and eat carefully and am fine

So the other day at Thanksgiving I accidentally ate gravy that had flour in it. I shouldve asked the host but it looked so liquidy that i didnt think there could possibly be any flour in there..well i was wrong. Minutes after eating I developed major bloating and was uncomfortable the rest of the night, however the next day I felt completely fine. So obviously my body still doesnt like gluten but my question is could this be celiac or just gluten intolerance? also since my body has not had gluten in a long time could this reaction have been my GI going into "defense mode"? While I felt very bloated I wasnt really very gassy...just kinda felt like my GI seized up and was being squeezed.

So i guess my question is should i just keep being careful or do i really need to be super strict again?

Whether you call it gluten intolerance or celiac disease (evidenced by flattened villi), obviously gluten still damages your body. I also was diagnosed only by stool antigliadin and celiac gene test. However I figured out that gluten causes me pain and bloating, I will still avoid it as best I can. Same with my 6 other delayed reaction food allergies. I occasionally make mistakes ... I trust a product which was previously safe (and then changed their ingredients to add my allergen) or I eat a buffet dish which was adjacent to a dish with my allergens (and I get contaminated from my 'safe' dish). I always get obvious reactions, even with small mistakes. So I continue to avoid gluten (and my other 6 allergens). I don't need to impress anyone by eating foods that cause painful symptoms. If anyone is offended by my carefulness, that's their problem. Everybody avoids some foods, whether for medical restrictions, caloric value or just plain personal taste preference. Make your health a priority no matter what. It's difficult to be sociable when you feel crappy.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Jason,

You may not have seen this new research that was done this year. It confirms the existence of a non-celiac wheat reaction in some people. They seem to have identified 2 separate conditions in fact. One with celiac like symptoms and another with allergy like symptoms. Right now there is no informaton on the long term effects of these conditions.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23033/1/Non-Celiac-Wheat-Sensitivity-It-Exists/Page1.html

Archived