3 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have been off gluten since 07 and at first was super strict and it made me absolutely paranoid and I hated life, so I decided to toss caution in the wind and go back to eating out and my life has been great again. I am still SUPER careful when I dine at restaurants but I just dont obsess the way I used to. Thing is, can I still be harming myself? i never had a positive celiac diagnosis and my blood tests and biopsies came back negative, but my stool anti gliadin tests were positive and I carry 1 of the 2 celiac genes. My mother is negative for both celiac and the genes but her stool tests were positive and she seems to do fine on gluten, even though I think she would benefit from eliminating it from her diet but shes stubborn.

After all these years I still dont know what I really have but I do know that I do ok most of the time when eating out. I often dont even inform my waiter of my sensitivity and just order and eat carefully and am fine

So the other day at Thanksgiving I accidentally ate gravy that had flour in it. I shouldve asked the host but it looked so liquidy that i didnt think there could possibly be any flour in there..well i was wrong. Minutes after eating I developed major bloating and was uncomfortable the rest of the night, however the next day I felt completely fine. So obviously my body still doesnt like gluten but my question is could this be celiac or just gluten intolerance? also since my body has not had gluten in a long time could this reaction have been my GI going into "defense mode"? While I felt very bloated I wasnt really very gassy...just kinda felt like my GI seized up and was being squeezed.

So i guess my question is should i just keep being careful or do i really need to be super strict again?
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

eh, just avoid it imo. I'm as strict as i can be, but for part of the year i live with gluten eaters... there are times when i wonder if i accidently cc'd myself. I don't have major symptomes like some of the others (the big one is "C" and axiety), so sometimes its hard to tell.

#3 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

I have been off gluten since 07 and at first was super strict and it made me absolutely paranoid and I hated life, so I decided to toss caution in the wind and go back to eating out and my life has been great again. I am still SUPER careful when I dine at restaurants but I just dont obsess the way I used to. Thing is, can I still be harming myself? i never had a positive celiac diagnosis and my blood tests and biopsies came back negative, but my stool anti gliadin tests were positive and I carry 1 of the 2 celiac genes. My mother is negative for both celiac and the genes but her stool tests were positive and she seems to do fine on gluten, even though I think she would benefit from eliminating it from her diet but shes stubborn.

After all these years I still dont know what I really have but I do know that I do ok most of the time when eating out. I often dont even inform my waiter of my sensitivity and just order and eat carefully and am fine

So the other day at Thanksgiving I accidentally ate gravy that had flour in it. I shouldve asked the host but it looked so liquidy that i didnt think there could possibly be any flour in there..well i was wrong. Minutes after eating I developed major bloating and was uncomfortable the rest of the night, however the next day I felt completely fine. So obviously my body still doesnt like gluten but my question is could this be celiac or just gluten intolerance? also since my body has not had gluten in a long time could this reaction have been my GI going into "defense mode"? While I felt very bloated I wasnt really very gassy...just kinda felt like my GI seized up and was being squeezed.

So i guess my question is should i just keep being careful or do i really need to be super strict again?

Whether you call it gluten intolerance or celiac disease (evidenced by flattened villi), obviously gluten still damages your body. I also was diagnosed only by stool antigliadin and celiac gene test. However I figured out that gluten causes me pain and bloating, I will still avoid it as best I can. Same with my 6 other delayed reaction food allergies. I occasionally make mistakes ... I trust a product which was previously safe (and then changed their ingredients to add my allergen) or I eat a buffet dish which was adjacent to a dish with my allergens (and I get contaminated from my 'safe' dish). I always get obvious reactions, even with small mistakes. So I continue to avoid gluten (and my other 6 allergens). I don't need to impress anyone by eating foods that cause painful symptoms. If anyone is offended by my carefulness, that's their problem. Everybody avoids some foods, whether for medical restrictions, caloric value or just plain personal taste preference. Make your health a priority no matter what. It's difficult to be sociable when you feel crappy.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi Jason,

You may not have seen this new research that was done this year. It confirms the existence of a non-celiac wheat reaction in some people. They seem to have identified 2 separate conditions in fact. One with celiac like symptoms and another with allergy like symptoms. Right now there is no informaton on the long term effects of these conditions.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: