Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Help For My Husband

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Sorry for the GI troubles Katty. Maybe you are both fighting a winter bug? They like to kick us in the gut sometimes.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,794 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

okay, well.....I was going to suggest perhaps you guys have a flu bug of some sort, but these guys beat me to it.
Great minds thinking alike? :)

Cannot imagine you were glutened when you've been so careful.
(And not everything can be blamed on gluten as we all know.)

In any case, hydrate and stay the course and hopefully, you two will feel better soon.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; finally DXed on 11/01/10. I figured it out myself. Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. Posted Image

#33 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

I took the same route as you - gluten free all the way. I do not allow it in my home.
Why - because gluten stole from me. Years.

And then, the oddest thing happened, and I got the biggest surprise payoff for my "sacrifice" - I got rid of my migraines, my 19 day a month chronic migraine problem - gone just like that.

Everything you describe, including your both not feeling well, sounds very, very familiar to our experience about 5 years ago.

Anyway, I have 3 suggestions.
Periodically, stop all supplements for at least a week, and add them back in slowly, one at a time.

Get some real sun. without sunscreen. every day if possible.

Read up on the Paleo diet, and not just the Cordain version. If you tell your family you're eating Paleo, they will think you are trendy, and a little less crazy. Paleos give up all grains, not just gluten, voluntarily. They are not however (due to ignorance) strictly gluten-free. The shortest possible intro to the Paleo diet here:

http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

#34 CSW

CSW

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hello all--not sure if the OP is still reading this, but (at risk of being very unpopular and un-trendy) I wonder if she and her husband are/were actually suffering from going TOO low-carb? From what I'm reading, while many people do really well on a paleo/Specific Carb/GAPS-type diet, apparently some people really, really DON'T do well (eg, http://www.thenouris...r-everyone.html, and I'm sure there are more articles out there if you looked for them).

Maybe adding back in some safe whole grains --soaked overnight or longer before cooking, for maximum digestability --would help? We've been using this method for brown rice, http://wholehealthso...brown-rice.html with good results.

Just a thought...

#35 devaki alahakone

devaki alahakone

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hi, 

I learnt a lot from your letter. My son who is in early twentys has celiac. I would like to know if a person with celiac disease can live a long fulfilled life.

thanking you

Devaki Alahakone 

About two week ago, my Husband and I discovered he has celiac disease. We immediately changed our diet to only lean meats, fruits, vegetables, eggs and yogurt. We eat no processed gluten-free products, grains, starchy foods or anything else. We even eliminated milk.

I got rid of all of my contaminated cookware, replacing it with new stuff, and washed everything in the house. His stomach issues have gotten much better, but he’s been going through some things. I just want to make sure this is indeed normal and that I’m doing all I can to support him.

He:

• Is always tired and can often sleep for up to 13 hours a day. If I wake him, he feels drained and grouchy.
  • Doesn’t feel full from a meal unless it has a significant amount of proteins and fats.
  • Has mood swings. He often gets angry over small things or seems to go through waves of depression.
  • Feels better one day, goes to bed and wakes up feeling worse.
  • Doesn’t want to exercise or do anything that requires exertion.
I:
  • Let him sleep when he needs it.
  • Feed him lean meats with some fats (avocado or olive oil) at every meal.
  • Plan to encourage him to start taking short walks with me to get more sunlight and light exercise.
  • Try to stay positive about everything and do my best not to agitate him when he’s feeling grouchy.
  • Eat a completely gluten-free diet with him.
Is there anything I can do to help with how tired he is? He’s taking a Men’s 1-A-Day vitamin every day, but I just ordered him a special celiac multivitamin. Is pushing him to go for walks a good thing?

I’m just looking for some guidance. I want to do everything I can to help him, and I’m trying to, but I’m just checking that none of it is actually hurting more than helping (letting him sleep, for example).

If it matters, he’s in his mid-20’s.

#36 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi, 

I learnt a lot from your letter. My son who is in early twentys has celiac. I would like to know if a person with celiac disease can live a long fulfilled life.

thanking you

Devaki Alahakone 

This is an old thread.  In case the original poster does not respond.

Welcome!

Removing ALL gluten is essential for a person with Celiac Disease.  If your son is adhering to a gluten free diet there is every reason to believe he will live a long, healthy gluten-free life.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAS

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile :)

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs - using Peer Reviewed Publications...

along with input from the best medical professionals you can find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: