40 replies to this topic

#1 a84c72

a84c72

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

So...after my disastrous Thanksgiving, Friday I was hungry like crazy.

Did my normal gluten free cereal but after a few hours, my blood sugar was dropping quickly. Because I am still a novice at a lot of this, because I still have no energy to cook from scratch let alone shop, and because I was depressed and POd from the day before, I cheated. I wanted McDonalds BADLY.

And it was YUM. It was...I only ate the sandwich.

I could tell a short time later I ate the forbidden fruit in the form of some reflux (vanished when I was gluten free).

Today, we went to dinner. Was not impressed with the gluten free menu so I CHEATED again and ordered something I LOVED IMMENSELY before.

It was YUCK.

I had read that taste for all things gluten kind of diminishes after awhile, but only after 3 weeks??

Even my FAVORITE EVER homemade white bread wasn't appealing!

And boy....did I PAY for my cheating tonight. Ugh. Not pretty.

Never did gluten impact me to this extent until I eliminated it.

Cheating is NOT fun. These old foods don't have the yum factor (except the McDs I had) they used to have!!!

But really, this much of a difference only 3 weeks out?

No more cheat for me.... WOW! Who would've thought!?!

**POOF** Out.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thats very bad of you, especially since you are dx'd. You gave into a craving now its gonna be a pain to get over the withdrawl again.

Yes, i cheated, three times and then had benifiber for a while (ugh never again). The food tasted like cardboard. I couldn't finish it. I then got "C" really bad. As for the benifiber thing, despite it being labeled "gluten free" my GI insisted i go on it to "become more regular" (mind you at around this time was when i cheated so i was "C"'d bad then and my dx was in question at this point). I had "C" to the point where i'd go every four days with a small amount despite all of the water and fiber i ate.

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Glad you worked out no cheating.

Come on in and talk, get advice on ALWAYS having food to hand.

I am not saying it is easy, but it gets easier :)

PS - ALWAYS!!!
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 SMDBill

SMDBill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Worst I think for anyone with celiac is that even if you don't feel badly due to what you ate, any deficiency you may have (iron, D3, etc.) is just worsened because until the healing happens, the body still will not absorb properly. So then often people seem to go through fatigue again, which makes anything less fun. It just seems like a vicious circle to get into just to have some food that is unhealthy for your body.

I've had those cravings lately as well. Slices of pizza (non gluten-free) just make me want to dive in and enjoy. But the reality is no matter how good they may taste, the repurcussions are just not worth it. I'm not sure how anyone can damage villi on purpose just to eat a food that is literally a poison to your body. There aren't always equivalents to those delicious foods we miss, but I'm thinking hunger is better than sickness every day. Every day that passes makes me feel a little better and to turn back the clock on that recovery is something I can't imagine doing to myself.

Best of luck to you and I hope the results of that eating aren't as bad for you as they are for me when I have been glutened. It's a horrible experience and I think I psych myself out from that kind of eating by imagining the pictures from my endoscopy that showed damage to my stomach and duodenum.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well, you aren't the first person to dip your toes in the cheating pool. I was discouraged from trying it by my reactions to using a cc'd toaster early on. After a few weeks on the diet I made some gluten-free toast in my old toaster and had a bad reaction from just little crumbs of old regular gluteny toast. That was a surprise to me at the time. I started believing the things people on this forum had told me about cc then. Cheating didn't sound like fun at all after that.

Here's a thread about the cheating way of life for celiacs. It's a topic that sometimes gets people all riled up around here. You'd think we were out in the old West and the cheaters were rustlers or something. You aren't a dang rustler now r ye? :)

How bad is cheating?
http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 a84c72

a84c72

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

LOL! I am not a rustler!!! I am a HUMAN;) With that being said, I don't know the implications of "cheating" at any level (once, twice, once a year, etc)...I would guess it depends upon the individual and their own body.

With that being said, I would probably have to agree that it is a good idea NOT to cheat at all. It is what it is.....it's a disorder....a "disease", so to speak. It is something that is NOT GOOD for your body so why ingest it?? ((said the girl who ate McDonald's the other night...heheheheheee)) :)
**POOF** Out.

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Well, glad ye ain't no dang rustler there sweetie! :)

I had cravings for gluten after starting the gluten-free diet also. It seemed complicated and hard to understand, and kind of frustrating not knowing what was safe to eat. But eventually all that became second nature and it was much eaiser to navigate the diet. And the cravings faded away. Now gluten food is not appealing to me. I remember eating all that stuff and thought it was fine at the time. But now I am used to eating different foods that are actually much better for me health wise and more natural foods also. And I don't miss those easy, junky gluteny foods anymore. But everyone adjusts in their own way and time. Just know that it gets easier and the cows get slower and the horses get faster as your throwing arm improves. It all just takes practice and time to get there.

The immune system reaction can last a couple weeks when kicked off by some gluten,. so it isn't a thing that is one bite a day and gone. It takes time for your body to reset to normal again and stop attacking itself. So that is something to think about when you are tempted. Is it worth 2 or more weeks of ongoing damage to your body for a couple seconds of eating? For most of us the answer is no. I think you feel the same way too.

Some people like to do a gluten challenge after a few weeks on the diet, just to see what their reaction is. I guess you could consider this as your gluten challenge test. Now you know for sure what gluten can do to you. That's good info to have, it can help with your resolve.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

It might help to get some really tasty snacks that you wouldn't normally buy because of the expense. Like hint to everyone who buys you holiday gifts that you really love gluten free cashews or dark chocolates or whatever you really love.

And Chebe bread is pretty easy to make. You can pat circles of dough down pretty thin, bake and freeze them. When you're ready to cheat, pop one of those in the toaster, fry up a burger, slice your bun, thow on some cheese, pickle slices and gluten-free thousand island dressing and mayo & a piece of lettuce. You can stick a piece of bacon on to if you want nitrates.

At some poiint you com to a waa laa moment and realize that all of the energy spent replicating some hideous meal you crave could be better spent cooking tasty, healthy whole foods that you can use for additional meals. And you realize how much money Mickey D's spent in advertising so that you'd crave their good, cheap, fast food.

Here's a fast food that's good: Mission corn tortillia chips with grated Mexican cheese, a T. of sliced black olives, some shredded chicken or other shredded left over meat and a nice salsa. You can microwave that on a paperplate for 1 minute at 50 % power and not even waste gas driving to Mickey D's.

Good luck, hang in there....
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

With that being said, I would probably have to agree that it is a good idea NOT to cheat at all. It is what it is.....it's a disorder....a "disease", so to speak. It is something that is NOT GOOD for your body so why ingest it?? ((said the girl who ate McDonald's the other night...heheheheheee)) :)

I am not sure why you think this is so funny, but I am going to offer you some advice now. Feel free to take it or leave it.

I understand being in denial. I understand being frustrated ---and if anyone is going to give you a "poor baby" mother-hen speech, it would be me. :)

But that is when someone is newly diagnosed and scared and needs coaching.

I have read many of your posts, hon---and you disregard all the suggestions of veterans who are trying to help you.

It IS a disease (not "so to speak") --a serious, life threatening disease.

I noticed you said "only 3 weeks out"--meaning you have only been gluten free for 3 weeks?

But, you were diagnosed in August. That's 3 MONTHS ago.

You say you "do not have the energy to cook from scratch, let alone shop"---there's a reason for that: it's because you are still eating gluten.

Until you remove the very thing that is damaging your intestines and causing malabsorption, your body will never heal.

Time to get a grip on the reality that is Celiac Disease.

In another thread, you wrote:

I have got to get to the bottom of this because I am THAT debilitated by all of this....and my kids are suffering. I am missing out on so much.

You are the only one who can change all this, hon! . Surely, you must have been preparing meals all along for your family?
Meat, vegetables, rice, potatoes, eggs, fruits, etc?

Just do the same thing. EAT REAL FOOD.

It's not rocket science. It's just a dietary change.

Enough denial and stalling....Time to move forward now.

And I offer these words with all the compassion there is---but I have to add: I just cannot muster much sympathy if you do not take it seriously.

We can help, but you have to do your part. This is YOUR life to save.
And if you have children depending on you, well, they need you to get serious, too.

Best wishes to you.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Funny, I was going to say something similar after looking back over your posts.

You seem to be finding it tremendously hard to accept your diagnosis, or the good advice here.

Is it possible you need some one to one support to get your head round the changes you need to make? Maybe the diagnosis has brought up some other stuff you need help with.

I am all for sense of humor, but being gluten-free for life is serious.

Remember the condition can do odd things to brain, mood etc.

I wish you well on the next part of your journey
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#11 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

LOL! I am not a rustler!!! I am a HUMAN;) With that being said, I don't know the implications of "cheating" at any level (once, twice, once a year, etc)...I would guess it depends upon the individual and their own body.

Well...if everyone thinks she is just a person who is having a hard time accepting a diagnosis.....I'll go with that. I thought she might be making fun of all of us who try very hard to be gluten-free.

I guess I don't understand it. My kids are almost grown but I still want to be involved....go to their Lacrosse games, visit at college, fix them food, take them shopping, etc. To me, something as simple as changing my diet a little, allows me to do those things and be a mom to my boys. I realize some parents do not want to be involved in their kids lives much and feel that something is the kids' activity & not the parents' activity. Perhaps that is you? Still, your own activities can't be much fun if you feel like crap. Even a parent that doesn't want to be envolved still has to get kids to events/ games and feed them, etc.

Cooking doesn't have to be complicated. Throwing things in a crockpot can be yummy - chili, stew, etc. grill extra chicken and have a chicken salad for adults and some chicken with BBQ sauce and carrot sticks and apples for kids if they don't like salad. Have a scrambled egg, fruit and bacon dinner. There are threads on here about what people cook for lunch and dinner. Some people cook souffls and fancy sauces, most have nachos and micro mixed frozen veggies.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

As Irish put it, celiac is an actual disease. An autoimmune disease that had many people on death's doorstep and many more headed there, me included. It sounds like you are headed there too. Lots of us have a sense of humor but there is nothing funny about eating at McDonalds. I don't think any of us are laughing, many of us are collectively banging our heads off our desks.

There has been much gentle and loving advice given but apparently you don't respond well to that. You are killing yourself. Not that oh, increased risk of cancer kind of killing yourself. No, you can flat out die of celiac without getting cancer and you are headed there and paddling your boat like a mad woman. We all get that it is hard, we've been there. We know how hard it is is to cook but clearly you're already cooking. There isn't anything complicated about putting vegetables and meat in a crock pot.

Who is going to help your children when one of them gets symptoms of celiac? Who is going to tell them "this is a life threatening illness that needs to be taken seriously?" I'll tell you one thing, a mom six feet under sure will. But as long as you are still breathing and eating gluten you are a death sentence to either of them that that gets this disease as well. That is also on your hands. You also promised your husband in sickness and health. You think he wants to take care of you the rest of his life? Does he deserve that? You can be well but instead choose to be sick. Yeah, you are CHOOSING to be sick. You talk about wanting to live life but make yourself sick on purpose.

We are all so lucky to be able to treat an illness so easily. Emotionally it is taxing and difficult to start but it becomes second nature so quickly you hardly know how it happened. It seems that instead of looking for help and support your posts are all looking for excuses and a way out. There isn't one. You need a change of attitude. It is possible that you need more than can be offered here and should seek one on one counseling with a therapist if you continue to eat gluten because it is suicide. This diagnosis is a new lease on life, it is an answer, it is a road to health. You simply need to head down that road instead of stubbornly standing in traffic.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I am certainly not laughing. And this next part IS meant to scare you.

I have cancer. My particular cancer has a link to celiac. In the space of 30 days I have had 2 major surgeries to chop cancer out of my leg. I have had extreme pain, put up with a surgical drain and am just now trying to walk again. I now have a full year of putting a toxin in my body in the hopes it might delay a recurrence for, on average, 8 months. Yes, you heard me. I might live 8 months more with the therapy available to me. I have a 30 - 50 percent of surving this disease.

I suggest you sober up and stop killing yourself with gluten.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#14 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

I am certainly not laughing. And this next part IS meant to scare you.

I have cancer. My particular cancer has a link to celiac. In the space of 30 days I have had 2 major surgeries to chop cancer out of my leg. I have had extreme pain, put up with a surgical drain and am just now trying to walk again. I now have a full year of putting a toxin in my body in the hopes it might delay a recurrence for, on average, 8 months. Yes, you heard me. I might live 8 months more with the therapy available to me. I have a 30 - 50 percent of surving this disease.

I suggest you sober up and stop killing yourself with gluten.

Colleen

God Bless You, Colleen! As if IrishHeart's post wasn't enough to convince people not to cheat, which I will never understand because there are SO many excellent replacements for gluten food out there, along comes
the mother of all reminders in the form of our hero Colleen! Look at what she is going through and you are whining because you miss McDonald's? You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Visit a cancer treatment center and that will put Celiac in perspective. This dietary change is not hard.....cancer is hard.

My best wishes and prayers to you, Colleen, so you can get throught the next year intact. Make sure you keep posting so we can lend moral support! :)

#15 Chiana

Chiana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

The Italian study (someone can throw a link up if they like, though it's been posted sooo many times here) stated a 20% chance of celiac-related cancer as cause of death in non-compliant celiacs. As in, if you are not compliant with your diet, you have a 1 in 5 chance of *dying* of an aggressive, not-very-treatable cancer.

*Hugs Colleen!*

I went to a restaurant on Friday and they brought the wrong BBQ sauce on my ribs. (All BBQ sauce looks the same...I'll order without any sauce if I ever get dragged back by relatives.) A couple of bites in, I got this strong urge to stop eating. I had a slab of ribs in front of me, and it didn't look or taste good anymore. I experienced the same phenomena with Panera when I first went on the diet almost two years ago. Whether it be psychological or part of the immune reaction - I have developed an aversion. It's not food to me anymore. It's good to know that my body is trying to back me up on this, and warn me. It sounds like your system is going in the same direction.

I'm still constipated, and I had a 48-hour migraine...from BBQ sauce. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: