Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can Eating Nuts Make Your Symptoms Worse?

6 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I've posted here before about a negative blood test (Doc just tested immunoglobulin A and Ttg IGA) but I have several "celiac" symptoms. I go for an endo on Friday but have a quick question.

Has anyone noticed eating nuts aggravating your symptoms? My symptoms were mild this Thanksgiving Holiday but started to flare-up this morning. Then I had the bright idea of snacking some almonds this afternoon and my stomach totally disagreed! I am thinking they are too harsh on your system if you are not completely gluten healed???

Any thoughts? Thank you so much!

Ads by Google:

Some of us have additional intolerances. I for example, cannot tolerate almonds, although cashews and walnuts don't bother me. So it MIGHT be an intolerance, or it might just be that they are too rough on your healing system. I know some folks can't eat raw veggies at first, but cooked veggies don't bother them. Maybe you can give yourself more time to heal and then try them again?

Many foods can be irritating to the healing gut - or as Bartfull said - you could be intolerant of some items until you have healed. I can eat almonds, but not cashews, pistachios, walnuts and a few others.

Perhaps wait a while and try almond butter or almond flour to see if almonds are an issue or just harsh on your system right now.

Thank you so much!!!! I will avoid them until my gut feels better! :D

All said above. I can handle almonds, but not hazelnuts. Or walnuts, for that matter. Remember even some natural foods aren't good for a still sensitive gut... I learned it in the hard way.