#1 Boys mom

Boys mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

HI-
My sons GI doctor wants them to have lab work after getting an accidental gluten exposure to see if there is a "blip" in their blood levels (they have been wheat/gluten free among other foods for 4-6 months now aside from any accidental exposures.) We just confirmed they carry the celiac genes (one son 1 and the other both). Their diets are restricted of wheat and a million other foods that are also hard for them to digest--still--so I know their guts aren't "healed" all the way yet. (of course not 100% sure wheat/gluten is our issue, either.)

Has anyone seen diagnosis from an accidental gluten exposure? We are in the camp that we really want an official diagnosis for a whole host of reasons, but aren't wanting to go the route of exposing our 1 & 3 year olds to wheat for weeks on end if we don't have to. I've never heard of a 1-day exposure really getting anyone far so curious what my doc could be thinking/looking for.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Have your doctor look at what the experts say:

http://www.curecelia...in-a-blood-test
If I accidentally ingest gluten will it show up in a blood test?

No, accidental exposure will not show up in a blood test. Repeated exposure elevates antibodies in the blood and causes damage in the small intestine.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 guest134

guest134

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I agree with Karen, think about how it is important to be eating gluten a few times daily for at least a month or two to avoid false negatives on blood tests, eating gluten accidentally once will certainly not cause any elevation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: