2 replies to this topic

Boys mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

HI-
My sons GI doctor wants them to have lab work after getting an accidental gluten exposure to see if there is a "blip" in their blood levels (they have been wheat/gluten free among other foods for 4-6 months now aside from any accidental exposures.) We just confirmed they carry the celiac genes (one son 1 and the other both). Their diets are restricted of wheat and a million other foods that are also hard for them to digest--still--so I know their guts aren't "healed" all the way yet. (of course not 100% sure wheat/gluten is our issue, either.)

Has anyone seen diagnosis from an accidental gluten exposure? We are in the camp that we really want an official diagnosis for a whole host of reasons, but aren't wanting to go the route of exposing our 1 & 3 year olds to wheat for weeks on end if we don't have to. I've never heard of a 1-day exposure really getting anyone far so curious what my doc could be thinking/looking for.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,584 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Have your doctor look at what the experts say:

http://www.curecelia...in-a-blood-test
If I accidentally ingest gluten will it show up in a blood test?

No, accidental exposure will not show up in a blood test. Repeated exposure elevates antibodies in the blood and causes damage in the small intestine.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

guest134

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I agree with Karen, think about how it is important to be eating gluten a few times daily for at least a month or two to avoid false negatives on blood tests, eating gluten accidentally once will certainly not cause any elevation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: