18 replies to this topic

#1 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have been reading about Thanksgiving and noticed that quite a few of us were glutened. I see it all the time here, someone goes to a friend or relative's house and tries to eat gluten-free, but ends up getting glutened, even when the host/hostess really tries to make a gluten-free meal.

WE NEED TO BRING OUR OWN FOOD!

I don't care how embarrassed we feel. (We shouldn't, by the way.) I don't care how many rude comments we get. (They are just that - rude.) People with allergies need to avoid their allergens. People with diabetes need to avoid sugar. People with back problems need to avoid heavy lifting. People with bad hips or knees need to avoid stairs. People who get sun poisoning need to avoid the sun.

So why in the world should we feel strange for needing to avoid gluten? We have a serious disease, and we need to do everything we can to protect our health.

WE NEED TO BRING OUR OWN FOOD!

If it makes you feel conspicuous, you need to gather your strength and put your foot down. This is the way it is. Practice saying it - "This is the way it is. Subject closed." They may talk about you behind your back, but if they do, be assured, people who would do that are ALREADY talking about you behind your back over any number of different things. SO WHAT? Are we supposed to risk our health on the off chance that they will STOP talking behind our backs? Are THEY worth it?

The people who know and love us will understand. If they don't know and love us, we can live without them! In the case of uncaring relatives, hey, we ALL have relatives we wish we didn't, but we put up with them. So put your foot down, bring your own food, put up with the funny looks, but tell them, "This is the way it is - subject closed." They'll either get over it, or they will have the great pleasure of talking behind your back, but it shouldn't affect YOU. YOU are taking care of your health.

So remember:

WE NEED TO BRING OUR OWN FOOD! "This is the way it is. Subject closed."

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Amen!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Well said and absolutely correct!

My life simplified when my intolerances increased - it was no longer a choice to try to eat gluten-free in other's homes - once the option was gone it really was a big relief. I now know how to let my host/hostess know that I'll bring my own for all situations.

There is no reason removing gluten is not enough of a reason to BYO if it reduces stress in your life.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Well said bartful, well said! A big round of applause for that!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yep I had a fabulous Thanksgiving and thought it would be awkward or appear rude bringing my own food but everyone acted understanding about it. It was great! You are 100% correct because it is our own bodies, we are the ones that are responsible for our actions. They dont have our bodies and dont know what we go through or have the medical knowledge to address it. I am pretty sure people in my family think I am strange but idc they love me and I wont hold their ignorance against them.

Honestly, I think it sometimes makes other people feel better about themselves for their own lack of responsibility to paint us as extremists. I think some of it is jealousy for the people around me, because I lost a lot of weight. When they are dieting it is like, "oh US dieters". I always say that I am not dieting, as long as I dont eat gluten or corn, I lose weight. I just love to rub it in and enforce the fact that i have food sensitivities im not trying to get skinny or just cut out something that makes me have a little tummy ache. Grr
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#6 zebra

zebra

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thank you for posting that.

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

Yes. Thanks. Always it is :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#8 L.J.

L.J.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Oh Bartful! You said a mouthful of truth in what you said! We *must* bring our own food to survive! Great Mantra for us all to remember! Thank you! :) :)

How are you? Last time I heard, you were having a hard time :ph34r: I hope you are feeling better??? (See emoticon with my fingers crossed hoping you are feeling better!) :D

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Point needed. I learned that eating my own was "My preference" yesterday. I don't consider it a preference, but a necessity.

#10 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Great post! I find it hard because mine is not celiac disease, but I do react to several substances (and several doctors agree with that). So people don't really take that seriously.

I think some of it is jealousy for the people around me, because I lost a lot of weight. When they are dieting it is like, "oh US dieters". I always say that I am not dieting, as long as I dont eat gluten or corn, I lose weight. I just love to rub it in and enforce the fact that i have food sensitivities im not trying to get skinny or just cut out something that makes me have a little tummy ache. Grr

Amen!!!! I get that all the time. "Oh, you're one of THOSE non-starchy people..." Well, uh, thanks for reminding me how much I miss baking since my doctor decided I have to be grain-free at least for a while. Or would you rather me give you an in-depth description of what will happen in your toilet bowl if I eat outside my doctor's plans? I think the rude people are only those who feel that out taking care of ourselves somehow "judges" their *not* taking care of their eating habits.

But I am getting better, thanks to this board: when a random date asked me why I refused to share his chocolate, I laughingly explained that soy lechitin makes me so hyper that scream at people (sad, but true), and I'd rather avoid that on a first date... :P
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#11 myquest7846

myquest7846

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

And truly don't you think it takes a weight off of the host or hostess of the dinner that they don't have to try to make something "special" just for us ?

#12 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

I totally agree here. I recently started gluten-free last month and am noticing a huge improvement in my life. I aso just found this board, it is such a great resource. I will bring my own food when going places, and won't apologize for it. it's my health and if I don't take charge, I will suffer. there is no choice

#13 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

The 2 things I learned when I was diagnosed (at 20 months old), so really the 2 things my mom taught me when I was young are
1. never be too nice
2. always carry rice cakes

I'm 22 now, I still have a bag of ricecakes in every bag I have, along with a protein bar and such for the moments where I don't feel comfortable eating what is being served.
Molly

#14 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

The only situation where the bring your own food doesn't work :( :angry: is where you have dinners with special couples (just them alone, not a whole tableful of people) and we used to do this often because hubs can't hear from one end of the table to the other :) . It's rather hard when they are inviting just you!! to dinner and wanting to show off their cooking, and you say WE'll bring our own :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Mushroom, I would STILL bring my own! I would tell these people that I would really enjoy breaking bread with them, having great conversation over a meal, and spending some time with them. Then I would tell them how sorry I was that I couldn't enjoy their cooking which always smells so good, but they THEY are more important to me than food, and in order to really enjoy their company without worrying about my health, it would be best if I brought my own.

But that's just me.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: