Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Want Bread Recipes (Multiple Food Intolerances/allergies)

6 posts in this topic

Help please. I'm somewhat new to gluten-free eating (about 6 months). I would like some tried-and-true bread recipes that omit the following problem foods:

Gluten

Eggs

Soy

Casein (dairy)

Corn

Rice

Potato

Oats are OK for me, as are nuts.

I am having a hard time because so many of the gluten-free recipes use corn, rice and potato, which I cannot have, and also egg. I have not even come across a decent all-purpose gluten-free flour that does not use one of my problem foods—I have resorted to grinding my own flours instead. I'm having difficulty getting the texture right, I think, because many of the recipes use egg, and I am having to try something else (like chia seeds). Nothing seems to come out quite right. Yes, I do know gluten-free baking tends to be a bit denser, and I'm OK with that. I just don't think what I'm making is coming out right in the end. And I can't compare it to store-bought gluten-free baked goods because all of those have my problem foods in them, so I've never eaten them. I can't even get Chebe bread to come out quite right, I think, because of avoiding eggs and dairy (I'm guessing my Chebe isn't right ... since I haven't had it before and can't have it according to the written instructions, I have no real comparison). I've asked around elsewhere, but no one ever responds.

Ads by Google:

Do you like fougasse? I adore it. You can actually shape it.

2 T chia seeds

1/2 c water

1 c teff flour

1 c sorghum flour

1 c tapioca flour

1/2 c arrowroot

1/4 c flax meal

1 t sea salt

1 t xanthan gum

1 envelope (2 3/4 t) active dry yeast

1 1/2 c room temp filtered water

3 T olive oil

2 T maple syrup

coarse sea salt for sprinkling

1. Soak chia seeds in the 1/2 c water for at least 15 min. Preheat oven to 450F and place a water bath on the bottom rack or oven floor (water bath - place some water into a pan). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and dust generously with one of the above flours.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, arrowroot, flax, salt and xanthan.

3. In a separate large mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer), dissolve yeast in room temp water. Add the olive oil and syrup. Just as the yeast begins to foam and feed on the syrup, about 3 minutes, add coombined dry ingredients and chia seeds with their liquid. Mix together until you have a soft dough (you can use the paddle attachment on mixer or by hand).

4. Generously dust work surface with flour. Gently shape into an oval. Transfer to sheet. Flatten to about 1" thick while maintaining an oval, leaf-like shape.

5. Shape like a fougasse. Shape into a ladder with floured hands. (You can just shape into a round if you desire and make a cut down the midline - this makes it artisinal and beautiful.)

6. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and place in hot oven. Immediately reduce temp to 425F and bake 1 hour and 10 minutes until golden brown and crusty. *(I find it takes less time than that.)

I have many other recipes that I think would suit, too.

This is from the same book as above - methods, etc. similar - "Gluten-Free and Vegan-Free Bread" by Jennifer Katzinger. - NOTE: She feels it is not necessary to allow breads to rise as they hit the oven at a high temp then the temp is decreased.

2 T chia seeds

1/2 c water

1 c teff flour

1 c tapioca flour

1/2 c quinoa flour

1/2 c millet flour

1/2 c arrowroot

1/4 c flax meal

1 t sea salt

1 t xanthan fum

1 envelope (2 3/4 t) active dry yeast

1 1/2 c room temp filtered water

3 T olive oil

2 T maple syrup

1. Soak chia seeds in the 1/2 c water for at least 15 min. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a sheet pan or line with parchment paper.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, arrowroot, flax, salt and xanthan.

3. In separate large bowl, dissolve yeast in room temp water. Add oil and syrup. Just as the yeast begins to foam and feed on the syrup, about 3 minutes, add the combined dry ingredients and the chia seeds with their soaking liquid. Mix thoroughly but just until the dough holds together.

4. In a work surface generously dusted with quinoa flour, turn out dough and gently form into a round boule shape. Place on prepared pan and score with a semicircle. Bake 2 hours and 40 minutes, until golden brown and crusty. *Mine take less time - watch closely.

Thanks for the recipes! I will give them a try.

I recommend the second one first. I also have an excellent recipe for breadsticks and focaccia if you want.

have you tried flax as an egg substitute

Help please. I'm somewhat new to gluten-free eating (about 6 months). I would like some tried-and-true bread recipes that omit the following problem foods:

Gluten

Eggs

Soy

Casein (dairy)

Corn

Rice

Potato

Oats are OK for me, as are nuts.

I am having a hard time because so many of the gluten-free recipes use corn, rice and potato, which I cannot have, and also egg. I have not even come across a decent all-purpose gluten-free flour that does not use one of my problem foods—I have resorted to grinding my own flours instead. I'm having difficulty getting the texture right, I think, because many of the recipes use egg, and I am having to try something else (like chia seeds). Nothing seems to come out quite right. Yes, I do know gluten-free baking tends to be a bit denser, and I'm OK with that. I just don't think what I'm making is coming out right in the end. And I can't compare it to store-bought gluten-free baked goods because all of those have my problem foods in them, so I've never eaten them. I can't even get Chebe bread to come out quite right, I think, because of avoiding eggs and dairy (I'm guessing my Chebe isn't right ... since I haven't had it before and can't have it according to the written instructions, I have no real comparison). I've asked around elsewhere, but no one ever responds.