• Please log in to reply

13 replies to this topic

jackibar

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'm just starting a gluten-free diet and realized I need to find a good substitute for the pretzels I use when I get hit with nausea. This usually only happens in the mornings after I take my meds that have to be on an empty stomach - I get hit with a wave of nausea and if I don't eat a few pretzels and sip some Coke or Sprite, I will throw up. :(

I think it's the blandness and saltiness of the pretzels that helps. What would a good substitute be?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

abby03

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Snyder's of Hanover make REALLY good gluten free pretzels that taste just like gluten ones! Even my family can't tell the difference. Glutino also makes pretzels but I haven't tried those. You could also try glutino's table crackers which are kind of like saltines or their round crackers which are kind of like ritz.

I highly recommend the Snyder's pretzels though because they're almost identical to regular pretzels.

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,593 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

We like Rice Chex when our stomachs are upset but need a little something. What about applesauce? Some meds you can take with it. Ask your doc or the company that makes them.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I like the Glutino pretzels very much, my family fights me for them ( :ph34r: )
and I also like the ones that come in little bags- Wylde? I forget, anyhoo,
the round crackers from Glutino are also very good.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

jackibar

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the responses!! I didn't even realize they had gluten-free pretzels (just getting started with this)! Guess I need to keep reading. I've been reading non-stop since Sunday when this first came to my attention that it might be my problem for so long, but boy do I have a lot to learn!

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,941 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Glutino and Ener-g have gluten-free pretzels that are very good. I can get them at larger regular grocery stores, and of course Whole Foods. Bananas, baked or mashed potatoes, gluten-free toast, and peppermint/plain tea are all helpful to me when my stomach is upset.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

jackibar

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Would Walmart carry the Snyder's pretzels?

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

Would Walmart carry the Snyder's pretzels?

Some might. The ones around here have the gluten free stuff together and you have to look for it. I have seen the Snyders with the regular pretzels, too.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

Janice1014

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

The Glutino pretzels are good. I have also found that Snyder's makes a gluten-free pretzel and they are awesome and I usually don't like pretzels at all. I just made a whole batch of the pretzel with Hershey Kiss and M n M on top for Christmas. they are yummy and best of all--gluten-free!!! Yeah!!!

Janice1014

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

I think they do. Weis Markets carries them. They are great!!

Coryad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Snyder's of Hanover make REALLY good gluten free pretzels that taste just like gluten ones! Even my family can't tell the difference. Glutino also makes pretzels but I haven't tried those. You could also try glutino's table crackers which are kind of like saltines or their round crackers which are kind of like ritz.

I highly recommend the Snyder's pretzels though because they're almost identical to regular pretzels.

I can second this... In fact I'm eating them right now :D I'm on a trip overseas and they ordered pizza for lunch. I had packed my gluten-free pretzels and some Lara Bars thankfully. My family loves the Snyders too, but I don't share LOL
Cory

Diagnosed Celiac 4/12 due to DH
Eliminated food molds 1/12

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

I find this thread interesting...with each pregnancy - long before I was dx'd I could only keep "oatzels" down -- they don't sell them anymore to my knowledge.

Our family likes glutino pretzels very much, but have heard many times Snyder's are the best.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

The glutino pretzels are good and also there are quite a few good rice crackers that are great for the belly.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Have you ever tried crystallized ginger? That almost always helps my nausea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: