Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Pre-Endoscopy Gluten Challenge

4 posts in this topic

I have a colonoscopy/endoscopy to test for celiac, Crohn's, etc. scheduled for the 12th of December. I was gluten light for about 1-1.5 years, and I have been back on gluten for about 6 weeks. The procedures are actually scheduled 8 weeks to the day of reintroducing gluten, which means it will be a few days short of 8 weeks total. I have been eating a rather impressive amount of gluten (definitely more than the equivalent of 4 slices of bread a day) in the hopes that it will better the odds of it showing up, but I am getting nervous that I will have it and it just won't show up.

I know it's different for everyone and there is no perfect formula, but in your opinions is 8 weeks a good enough run to give it a fair shot of showing up on the scope?

Ads by Google:

Considering you were gluten lite, you were still getting some in. Furthermore, with the 8 weeks, it should be enough to see something imo.

Yes, and especially, like shadow noted, you never really were 100% gluten-free, true? (Though 8 wks is also a common duration for those whoe were gluten-free)

A bigger factor will be that if the damage is spotty, whether the Dr biopsies (that's a verb 'round here isn't it?) enough areas enough times to get a diagnostic piece.

Have you been having symptoms during the challenge?

That needs to be treated as a datapoint, but some Drs still don't.

Thank you for the replies!

Yes, and especially, like shadow noted, you never really were 100% gluten-free, true? (Though 8 wks is also a common duration for those whoe were gluten-free)

A bigger factor will be that if the damage is spotty, whether the Dr biopsies (that's a verb 'round here isn't it?) enough areas enough times to get a diagnostic piece.

Have you been having symptoms during the challenge?

That needs to be treated as a datapoint, but some Drs still don't.

I was trying to be gluten-free, but I wasn't figuring in cross contamination or hidden sources like oats and soy sauce. I don't really know how much gluten I was getting.

I have been reacting to it, physically and mentally, so I'm pretty excited to be done with it. I would just hate for it all to have been for nothing!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I'm actually scared to go to the doctor and could use some advice
      Hi Elle, The celiac testing process usually includes a blood test for gliaden antibodies first, and then an endoscopy to take biopsy samples of the small intestine to check for damage.  So while it's good to get the celiac panel done, don't go gluten-free until the whole testing process (including endoscopy) is completed. Vitamin deficits are a problem in celiac disease, so that issue does match up.  Anxiety and digestion problems are common too.  Celiac is tied to a few genes, so if your mom has it, you might have it also or might develop it at some point in life. Don't be too scared of it if it does turn out to be celiac disease.  The gluten-free diet can be a big change but the end result of it is you'll feel better.  You'll probably end up eating better more nutritious food than most people also. Celiac is a great disease in one way, because we know the trigger (gluten) and can treat ourselves with diet.  Most times doctors don't know the cause of autoimmune diseases and can't do anything but medicate the patient.  Our medicine is food.  Yum!  
    • Depression / anxiety issues
      You are welcome Chris.  The vitamin D council site linked below has info on how much vitamin D we need and how much sun is needed to get it, what foods contain it etc.  Around my neck of the woods I can only get UVB rays (needed to make Vitamin D in skin) from 10 am to 2 pm.  So a food source or vitamin pill is a good option,  Especially in winter when you probably won't get any V-D from sun exposure.  Foods sources are mackeral, salmon, tuna and a few plants like spinach and kale.  You can find a review of various V-D brands on the labdoor website.  Some pills are useless so it pays to verify you are taking a good one. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/ https://labdoor.com/rankings/vitamin-d  
    • Eeek confused! Positive biopsy, negative blood test???
      Sealy-yak - Can you confirm if they did the Full Celiac Panel? Some Celiac blood tests are more reliable than others.   
      the whole celiac/doctor issue is as frustrating as it is common, unfortunately   my gp, who knows full well that i have celiac, tried to give me this new 'miracle drug' for ibs-d when i told him i was still having indigestion/inflammation for seemingly no reason.  "it's expensive, but i have a coupon for the first month"  O BOY LUCKY ME!  i told him, ok, that i would try it.  (i think i have an idea of what my problem is and i originally asked for something different to try to see if it would work.  he didn't even know what it was)  i'm not gonna try it.  it's a narcotic, it has side effects i don't need or are the same as my symptoms.  i'm gonna switch doctors.  and switch doctors again and again until i find one that KNOWS MORE ABOUT THIS THAN ME.  on top of that, they computerized all their records, which i have been going there for 20 years, ASKING WHAT I'M ALLERGIC TO!  i said:   umm, don't you have that in my MEDICAL RECORDS??!!  well, we have your paper records.  i said, i'm HERE.  don't ya think ya shoulda pulled my file out??  i mean, y'all knew i was coming.  you know, the appointment thing....... LOLZ yeah, i've been gluten free for 6 years, and this clown tells me 'you know, you can't drink beer'  i said yes i can.  he says no, you can't.  i said why not?  because of the alcohol, haha?  no, because it has hops in it and if you're celiac, you can't have hops.  i said it's BARLEY.  O MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!  i said, you're the doctor.  rolled my eyes and left. welcome to the board  sorry for all the yelling, lolz.  
      Thank you! My PA said that she still thinks it's celiac....but I don't feel like she's fully explained why. Some people are hard to get a solid answer out of! I think I'm gonna get a second opinion somewhere else.....appreciate the feedback. Makes me feel a little less crazy
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Robyn08