3 replies to this topic

#1 Eclara

Eclara

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have a colonoscopy/endoscopy to test for celiac, Crohn's, etc. scheduled for the 12th of December. I was gluten light for about 1-1.5 years, and I have been back on gluten for about 6 weeks. The procedures are actually scheduled 8 weeks to the day of reintroducing gluten, which means it will be a few days short of 8 weeks total. I have been eating a rather impressive amount of gluten (definitely more than the equivalent of 4 slices of bread a day) in the hopes that it will better the odds of it showing up, but I am getting nervous that I will have it and it just won't show up.

I know it's different for everyone and there is no perfect formula, but in your opinions is 8 weeks a good enough run to give it a fair shot of showing up on the scope?

Low IGA, tests not viable- no other blood tests performed

Negative biopsy 12/12/12

Gluten-free 12/13/12

Currently unable to tolerate: gluten, grains, dairy, soy, nightshades, all sweeteners except for liquid stevia and coconut nectar, cruciferous vegetables, all fruit except for bananas and berries, eggs, beans, chocolate (noooo).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Considering you were gluten lite, you were still getting some in. Furthermore, with the 8 weeks, it should be enough to see something imo.

#3 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yes, and especially, like shadow noted, you never really were 100% gluten-free, true? (Though 8 wks is also a common duration for those whoe were gluten-free)

A bigger factor will be that if the damage is spotty, whether the Dr biopsies (that's a verb 'round here isn't it?) enough areas enough times to get a diagnostic piece.

Have you been having symptoms during the challenge?
That needs to be treated as a datapoint, but some Drs still don't.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 Eclara

Eclara

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thank you for the replies!

Yes, and especially, like shadow noted, you never really were 100% gluten-free, true? (Though 8 wks is also a common duration for those whoe were gluten-free)

A bigger factor will be that if the damage is spotty, whether the Dr biopsies (that's a verb 'round here isn't it?) enough areas enough times to get a diagnostic piece.

Have you been having symptoms during the challenge?
That needs to be treated as a datapoint, but some Drs still don't.

I was trying to be gluten-free, but I wasn't figuring in cross contamination or hidden sources like oats and soy sauce. I don't really know how much gluten I was getting.

I have been reacting to it, physically and mentally, so I'm pretty excited to be done with it. I would just hate for it all to have been for nothing!

Low IGA, tests not viable- no other blood tests performed

Negative biopsy 12/12/12

Gluten-free 12/13/12

Currently unable to tolerate: gluten, grains, dairy, soy, nightshades, all sweeteners except for liquid stevia and coconut nectar, cruciferous vegetables, all fruit except for bananas and berries, eggs, beans, chocolate (noooo).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: