5 replies to this topic

#1 Little Joe

Little Joe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

I am newly diagnosed with celiac disease (Nov. 21) and, as quickly as possible, moving toward and adjusting to a gluten-free diet.

I certainly have many questions, but one that sticks out right now is if anyone knows a good source of gluten-free psyllium seed husks? I currently use Trader Joe's "Secrets Of The Psyllium" which is inexpensive, and devoid of flavorings, sugars, etc. While the container states "No wheat," it also states that it is processed on shared equipment (listing wheat and a few others). There is no gluten-free label on the container (and I am learning that mileage will vary with the "gluten-free" labels, and to do my research on all prepared foodstuffs that I buy).

Anyway, my guess is that this product is probably not advisable for use but... does anyone with celiac disease use this product successfully? Has anyone used it and experienced adverse effects? Does anyone know of a brand of 100% psyllium that is safe for those with celiac disease?

I am glad to have found this site, thanks,

Joe

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've been using Yerba Prima psyllium husks powder, here are details on their site, but I got it in the natural foods section of a grocery store: http://www.yerba.com.../item.asp?id=57

It doesn't specifically say it's gluten-free but I've been fine with it, afaik.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Try this: http://www.luckyvita...FcqY4AodkVwAdQ

You can get it at any Vitamin Shoppe.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Yerba Prima works fine for me. I haven't tried Trader Joe's brand.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Little Joe

Little Joe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for the replies! There is a Vitamin Shoppe very near to one of our local Trader Joe's and, according to their Web site, they carry both the Yerba Prima and Organic India brands (along with some others). I will give them a visit on this weekend's grocery shopping trip.

#6 ktylizbth

ktylizbth

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I recently took some psyllium husk in capsule form and I am thinking it caused a bad reaction for me. My head feels full and foggy for a couple day now. I am also having crawling feeling in my head and balance issues. I am having similar experiences to anytime that I would eat gluten. Certainly it is possible that I could be reacting to something different, but I had never tried this capsule before. I'm honestly very nervous about the idea of trying it again. Just wanted to give you my experience. Just for the record, I am not just sensitive to gluten, but also to other gluten grains like corn, rice, oatmeal, etc. So if you are sensitive to more than just the gluten in wheat, then I would express caution. Good luck. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: