6 replies to this topic

#1 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Firstly, I apologize for posting a lot lately while I try to figure out what's going on!

My question is,

Does anyone here experiences a non-itchy rash related to their gluten ingestion?

This year on the onset of my symptoms I noticed a bumpy rash on my buttocks (both sides). I thought it was acne (I know, gross!) but it doesn't seem to be that. It starts as flat red tiny bumps but then some grow and become raised. Only thing is that it doesn't itch! I know DH is supposed to itch insanely so I was wondering if this is something related to gluten. I know it can be tons of different things but due to its location I am kind of embarrassed to go to the derm! :blink:

Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

My first thought was hives, but you said non itchy....

A trip to the doc might be required.

#3 adiari73

adiari73

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

I usually get hives. If not, I get really itchy. I mean really really, itchy!! My throat hurts, I get the chills and them a terrible migraine. My gums and teeth hurt. I get bumps my tongue "./

#4 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

Thanks! Surely this rash is not gluten related. Since there are so many crazy symptoms associated with GS/Celiac I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask! ;)

#5 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Actually, I had a rash on the back of my upper arms ever since I can remember, and I don't recall if it used to itch, but basically it didn't. However, about 2-3 months after starting a gluten-free diet, the back of my arms are clear! No rash! I didn't expect that at all.

They were basically small red bumps, and didn't seem to grow larger or smaller or anything. They were just there... and now they're gone. :D
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#6 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

ciamaria, I had the same kind of rash... back of my upper arms, chest, upper thighs. And in my case that, too, disappeared, after just two weeks on the gluten-free diet. But it didn't look like DH at all, just small, bright red bumps. Weird.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#7 Brrrandy

Brrrandy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

When I accidentally eat gluten, I often get a bit of a rash along with my GI symptoms. It is usually my first sign that I accidentally ate something. Mine always show up as little pink dots on my chest, but sometimes elsewhere as well depending how bad it is.

It can sometimes be very mildly itchy, but nothing like people normally describe. Just little pink spots. Which makes me think it's not DH. But it definitely seems to be gluten related. 

Then again, I haven't had a huge amount of gluten since I figured out my problem-- so maybe if I had more it would turn into full-blown DH? I've always been curious. But not curious enough to try it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: