5 replies to this topic

#1 Ginnie64

Ginnie64

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hi my son is in grade 7 and it is time for them to get there hepatitis shots. A form came home that said it may contain wheat. Has anyone else recivied their shots and did you reacted to them. I want him to have the needle to protect him, but not if it's going to cause him pain. Is a day or 2 of pain wearth him being protected..

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mayasmum

Mayasmum

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

is he likely to get hep at the age of 7? I would not do the shot personally.

#3 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi my son is in grade 7 and it is time for them to get there hepatitis shots. A form came home that said it may contain wheat. Has anyone else recivied their shots and did you reacted to them. I want him to have the needle to protect him, but not if it's going to cause him pain. Is a day or 2 of pain wearth him being protected..

I have never ever heard of any kind of injection that would contain wheat. That's weird. I am not sure I would give a 13 year old the Hep vaccine. He's 13 or in that vicinity? There are certain conditions when it is a good idea so maybe look into those to see if he really needs it? Otherwise, if you want him to have it, then contact his doctor and ask about having it done there with a screened vaccine.

To add further.....an injection should not cause a reaction because it bypasses the gut BUT I personally would rather not be injected with wheat. Haven't come across that situation yet and have never heard of injectable meds with a wheat component. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse!

#4 Mayasmum

Mayasmum

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

sorry - I am English and saw grade 7 and thought 7 lol. I would assess the situation as to whether you think he really is at risk for hep.

#5 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi there,
This is a great question for a Celiac researcher. Can you call one of the major Celiac Centers and get their take on it?
- Also, I wouldn't want to be injected with wheat--I would ask my Celiac GI first...
- Also, I have said, "I'd rather have Celiac than hepatitis" so, I think it is worth really considering doing the shot (as long as it doesn't trigger long term damage).

Great question! Keep us posted!

#6 nicolebeth

nicolebeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

According to wikipedia it's yeast, not wheat, but I would still ask for the package insert before even considering it as there could be different versions: http://en.wikipedia....ine_ingredients

I also heard that people with celiac don't make sufficient antibodies to Hep B (but that might be undiagnosed celiac in someone still eating wheat). Here's an article about that: http://celiacdisease.../hepatitisB.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: