#1 MLO

MLO

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:47 PM

Hello-
Just a quick question. My daughter was recently confirmed by biopsy that she did in fact have Celiac Disease. Of course we were scard but yet glad that the diagnosis of why she was sick all the time had be confirmed.

My question is that both my husband and my blood work came back negative. I know that this can happen but I was assuming that one of us would at least show something. Maybe give me a sense of peice of how she inherited it.

I have read messages with parents saying "dad" has it "mom" has it and so does the child, but I am curious of parents out there that show "NO" signs according to their blood work but their child has it.

I guess I just feel so helpless as we have so many kids on both sides of the family and now would like to at least give my relatives some news on if or who should be tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:23 PM

The only real way to find out where your daughter's celiac gene came from would be to have the gene test run on yourself and your husband. It's certainly good news that neither of you is in bad enough shape to test positive on blood work, but that says nothing about whether either of you carries the predisposing gene for the disease. You may want to talk to your doctor about ordering a gene test (from Prometheus labs, as they're the most skilled with celiac disease testing). I hope this helps!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: