This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

NStock

NStock Newbie

I don't know how to interpret these lab results and my doctor isn't available for a few days to call. Anybody know what this means?

Test Result Flag Reference Range

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 78 L 91-414

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA >100 H 0-3

Negative 0-3

Weak Positive 4-10

Positive >10

Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.

Deaminated Gliadin Abs, IgA 53 H 0-19

Negative 0-19

Weak Positive 20-30

Moderate to Strong Positive >30

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

I don't know how to interpret these lab results and my doctor isn't available for a few days to call. Anybody know what this means?

Test Result Flag Reference Range

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 78 L 91-414

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA >100 H 0-3

Negative 0-3

Weak Positive 4-10

Positive >10

Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.

Deaminated Gliadin Abs, IgA 53 H 0-19

Negative 0-19

Weak Positive 20-30

Moderate to Strong Positive >30

Quite positive, i say!

mushroom Proficient

Your results are strongly positive. It is possible that they may (or may not) want to do the endoscopy with biopsies just to check what your level of damage is, and for that you still need to be eating gluten. Your doctor will probably refer you to a gastroenterologist for further work-up.

Welcome to the board, and you may as well start reading as much as you can about celiac and how to avoid gluten, because I would say you have it, and you willl have to do it. :):(

tarnalberry Community Regular

Your total IgA is low (you got a 78 when the normal range starts at 91). You might be IgA deficient.

Your tTg IgA is positive (you got over 100 when a positive is anything over 3).

Your deamidated IgA is positive (you got 53 when a positive is anything over 19).

Very positive results here.

nvsmom Community Regular

:( Yeah... not many people get a positive tTG IgA if their IGA is low. Your blood tests are very positive. Your doctor may or may not order a biopsy to confirm; not all doctors do it now a days. If he wants to biopsy, you'll have to decide if you want it or need it for a firm diagnosis. It is usually recommended that you continue eating gluten until you are sure all testing is complete.

When you see your doctor, you might want to have your nutrient levels checked. Sometimes, because of the intestinal damage, celiacs suffer from malabsorption of some key nutrients. B12, D, ferritin, calcium, potasium can end up being low causing osteoarthritis, anemia, and some other health problems; I think there are other nutients affected but I can't remember which at this time.

Best wishes. Hope you feel well soon.

NStock Newbie

Your results are strongly positive. It is possible that they may (or may not) want to do the endoscopy with biopsies just to check what your level of damage is, and for that you still need to be eating gluten. Your doctor will probably refer you to a gastroenterologist for further work-up.

Welcome to the board, and you may as well start reading as much as you can about celiac and how to avoid gluten, because I would say you have it, and you willl have to do it. :):(

Alrighty... well thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty familiar with a gluten free diet. My Mom got diagnosed with the celiac disease in the 90s, so I'm hoping it'll be a fairly smooth transition.

NStock Newbie

Cool well thanks for the feedback everyone... it'll be fun switching my entire diet haha... hopefully I have the self control to follow through because I love my gluten ; ) I know what damage it can do to not stick to the gluten free diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 years later...
beemerw Rookie

That is interesting because I have Hashimoto’s, asked for a Celiac Test and a gluten intolerance with my testing and it says:

Endomysal Antibody IgA Negative Test for Celiac negative and rest of labs are normal

L-Transglutaminase tTG LgA<2  

then the Tissue Transglutaminase identified as the endomysial antigen...Studies ...Endomysial antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy

Immunoglobin A, Qn, Serum 328 range 87-352..yet my TSH rose from 1.160 to 2.550

I think because, yeah, I can feel reactions and Hashimoto’s waivers but Gluten sensitivity is present..I do a even stricter Paleo Autoimmune and thought I was ready to look at grain, but it depends on what is in gluten free that causes reactions..

I am glad there was another post on bloodwork..

Archived