7 replies to this topic

#1 april_s

april_s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi! I've been gluten free now for 3 weeks and the change in my health has been remarkable (no more gas, chest aches/pains, headaches, anxiety, skin clearing up, etc.) I did not have any tests done, but I figure that since I feel so good I might as well stick to it! But tonight I ate the following and had immediate tummy rumblings followed by lots of gas, just like I used to have before cutting out the gluten:

Smoked Mackerel (with some sort of lemon pepper on it)
Steamed swiss chard with garlic and some spices (check ingredients and all was good)
Chickpeas from a can

So I'm curious what could have possibly triggered by digestive system?! It was a little frustrating since I've been doing so good. I might go back to the grocery store where I bought the fish and ask them if there was anything else they put in the 'smoke' or marinade...but maybe someone else has some thoughts.
Much appreciated :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Chickpeas give me gas. They are beans, and all beans give me gas. Garlic does too. Maybe this is just a normal, non-gluten reaction?

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

i can't do beans because it bloats me soooo bad.

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

When I first went gluten-free spinach, cooked or otherwise, gave me problems. So maybe the chard? I hate mackerel so I can't be objective about it. :)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 april_s

april_s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Yes, I'm thinking it was the chickpeas/garlic combo. And maybe I'm a little more sensitive in the tummy now that I'm off gluten. I did eat some cake about half way into the gluten free diet and the reaction was totally different (foggy headed, itchy eyes, sneezing), with a general overall crappy feeling for a few days afterwards. This seems to be more direct and will hopefully not last that long!

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

chard is also a gas causing vegetable for some people. that and the beans, of course. especially without taking probiotics.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

I have tried many times to do bean and just can't handle it - bloat, gas....eww.
I don't do well with too much smoked foods either....bad combo maybe !

#8 april_s

april_s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have tried many times to do bean and just can't handle it - bloat, gas....eww.
I don't do well with too much smoked foods either....bad combo maybe !

Yep, I think you are right about the bad combo! I had some leftovers and ate each thing individually (fish at lunch, chard at dinner but without the chickpeas) and I felt fine. Plus, I haven't been doing any probiotics, but bought some yoghurt today!
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am fairly new to this thing (gluten-free and forums), so it's nice to know the support is out there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: