• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

april_s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi! I've been gluten free now for 3 weeks and the change in my health has been remarkable (no more gas, chest aches/pains, headaches, anxiety, skin clearing up, etc.) I did not have any tests done, but I figure that since I feel so good I might as well stick to it! But tonight I ate the following and had immediate tummy rumblings followed by lots of gas, just like I used to have before cutting out the gluten:

Smoked Mackerel (with some sort of lemon pepper on it)
Steamed swiss chard with garlic and some spices (check ingredients and all was good)
Chickpeas from a can

So I'm curious what could have possibly triggered by digestive system?! It was a little frustrating since I've been doing so good. I might go back to the grocery store where I bought the fish and ask them if there was anything else they put in the 'smoke' or marinade...but maybe someone else has some thoughts.
Much appreciated :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Chickpeas give me gas. They are beans, and all beans give me gas. Garlic does too. Maybe this is just a normal, non-gluten reaction?

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

i can't do beans because it bloats me soooo bad.

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,592 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

When I first went gluten-free spinach, cooked or otherwise, gave me problems. So maybe the chard? I hate mackerel so I can't be objective about it. :)

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

april_s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Yes, I'm thinking it was the chickpeas/garlic combo. And maybe I'm a little more sensitive in the tummy now that I'm off gluten. I did eat some cake about half way into the gluten free diet and the reaction was totally different (foggy headed, itchy eyes, sneezing), with a general overall crappy feeling for a few days afterwards. This seems to be more direct and will hopefully not last that long!

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

chard is also a gas causing vegetable for some people. that and the beans, of course. especially without taking probiotics.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

I have tried many times to do bean and just can't handle it - bloat, gas....eww.
I don't do well with too much smoked foods either....bad combo maybe !

april_s

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have tried many times to do bean and just can't handle it - bloat, gas....eww.
I don't do well with too much smoked foods either....bad combo maybe !

Yep, I think you are right about the bad combo! I had some leftovers and ate each thing individually (fish at lunch, chard at dinner but without the chickpeas) and I felt fine. Plus, I haven't been doing any probiotics, but bought some yoghurt today!
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am fairly new to this thing (gluten-free and forums), so it's nice to know the support is out there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: