Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Fish, Chick Peas, Swiss Chard?!

8 posts in this topic

Hi! I've been gluten free now for 3 weeks and the change in my health has been remarkable (no more gas, chest aches/pains, headaches, anxiety, skin clearing up, etc.) I did not have any tests done, but I figure that since I feel so good I might as well stick to it! But tonight I ate the following and had immediate tummy rumblings followed by lots of gas, just like I used to have before cutting out the gluten:

Smoked Mackerel (with some sort of lemon pepper on it)

Steamed swiss chard with garlic and some spices (check ingredients and all was good)

Chickpeas from a can

So I'm curious what could have possibly triggered by digestive system?! It was a little frustrating since I've been doing so good. I might go back to the grocery store where I bought the fish and ask them if there was anything else they put in the 'smoke' or marinade...but maybe someone else has some thoughts.

Much appreciated :-)

Ads by Google:

Chickpeas give me gas. They are beans, and all beans give me gas. Garlic does too. Maybe this is just a normal, non-gluten reaction?

When I first went gluten-free spinach, cooked or otherwise, gave me problems. So maybe the chard? I hate mackerel so I can't be objective about it. :)

Yes, I'm thinking it was the chickpeas/garlic combo. And maybe I'm a little more sensitive in the tummy now that I'm off gluten. I did eat some cake about half way into the gluten free diet and the reaction was totally different (foggy headed, itchy eyes, sneezing), with a general overall crappy feeling for a few days afterwards. This seems to be more direct and will hopefully not last that long!

chard is also a gas causing vegetable for some people. that and the beans, of course. especially without taking probiotics.

I have tried many times to do bean and just can't handle it - bloat, gas....eww.

I don't do well with too much smoked foods either....bad combo maybe !

I have tried many times to do bean and just can't handle it - bloat, gas....eww.

I don't do well with too much smoked foods either....bad combo maybe !

Yep, I think you are right about the bad combo! I had some leftovers and ate each thing individually (fish at lunch, chard at dinner but without the chickpeas) and I felt fine. Plus, I haven't been doing any probiotics, but bought some yoghurt today!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am fairly new to this thing (gluten-free and forums), so it's nice to know the support is out there!