Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Olive Oil?

7 posts in this topic

I have a bottle of Rachael Ray Everyday EVOO and I know olive oil is supposed to be gluten free but the bottle doesn't say anything. Has anyone ever seen an olive oil with gluten or should they all be safe?

Ads by Google:

Basically, pretty much anything you buy that's only one ingredient is safe. The only single ingredient

products you should be concerned about are flours and starches, as you'll want to make sure that

they are milled and packaged safely. But a bag of salt, bottle of olive oil, things like that, really have

no opportunity for being contaminated in any way. Just watch out for blends, or mixes, like if a bottle

of olive oil were 'seasoned', and had solids in it, then I would double check the product. If it's just olive

oil? You're good.

Thanks so much! I figured it would be fine but my paranoid self has to double check with everything lol.

Don't worry, the paranoia will pass and you'll calm down. It gets easier. ;)

There is a basic concept in labels that a label must not be misleading. It is considered misleading to label a product such as pure olive oil as "gluten-free" because it is not a distinguishing characteristic of that specific product. A label may say something like "Olive oil is naturally gluten-free" or "This oil, like all olive oil, is gluten-free." This rarely appears on labels, since it provides no upside, but may discourage uniformed customers who wrongly believe "gluten-free" means "tastes like crap."

There is a basic concept in labels that a label must not be misleading. It is considered misleading to label a product such as pure olive oil as "gluten-free" because it is not a distinguishing characteristic of that specific product. A label may say something like "Olive oil is naturally gluten-free" or "This oil, like all olive oil, is gluten-free." This rarely appears on labels, since it provides no upside, but may discourage uniformed customers who wrongly believe "gluten-free" means "tastes like crap."

I find your 'uniformed' typo amusing. :P

I find your 'uniformed' typo amusing. :P

Oops--my bad. I obviously meant uninformed. :blink:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Three years ago I lost about 40kgs (Aussie lol) by better diet & exercise. All was going great til I stopped losing. I upped my exercise but bizarrely started gaining weight. One night a week of not being able to sleep soon became two, then virtually every night with either 1-2hrs tops or none at all. These weird symptoms started about two years ago, becoming worse in say, the last 9mnths. Then I started to get diarrhea. Occasionally then weirdly 2-3 days with multiple occurences then a day or two with nothing, then back to loose & offensive. My GP ran tests, including the TTga (hope that's  right) antibody blood test. Negative so he tells me that's not it. After 9mnths of this he shrugs and says, "I don't know what it is I've run out of ideas what ideas do you have?" Finally refers me to a gastrointerogist.  Private, of course and can't really afford it but we (my fiance and I) go. Stools and blood samples are ordered, basically bye, see you in a month. I have looked my symptoms up and they seem to point to Celiac. Today we went back. I have been having bloated stomach, sore back and limbs,  lovely burps, constant urination and crushing anxiety attacks folowed by depression (which I have never had before in my life). Admitted over the last weekend I didn't sleep for two and a half days and found myself hallucinating and crying to just be able to sleep. Mr fancy pants gastrointerogist says," Hey great news, the stools samples rule out parasites and Crohns!" I tell him how excrutiating the last month has been to which he replies, "It's not Celiac disease, (points at negative blood test results). Celiac doesnt present with diarrhea, anxiety and frquent urination all together." I also had a fecal occult blood test which showed positive & notes say are maybe due to a lower gi bleed, and a ct scan that says shows some damage which, in their words, could be due to a condition such as Celiac disease. He has booked me for a double scope as the next step, has a few ideas what it could be (won't tell me because he doesn't want me to be 'anxious'). Told me to consider that all these symptoms could be me just worrying and being anxious. Told him when this started I was not worried about anything, shrugged and said, It could stil have happened, hey, sometimes we never find out what causes it and your just stuck with diarrhea forever." Then as I was leaving he slapped me on the back and said, "Don't worry so much, see you soon." I need to have the scopes done but is it me or are the things I was told today not true?  I would honestly love it not to be Celiac disease but could he be wrong?
    • Sigh. I totally do love the packs of stretch pants at Costco though...
    • hey, i'm vegetarian and gluten free as well
      have you tried making any recipes with cashew nuts like cashew cheese or pasta sauce? they're really good, easy to make and an excellent way to get more protein/iron
      i can send you some of the easy recipes if you like  
    • Right, fistulas or fissures are usually associated with Crohns, but not celiac.  It is not impossible to have both conditions though.
    • Bravo for being strong enough to bring this topic up.  Depression, anxiety, and other mental or neurological issues are common in celiacs and those with NCGI.  Science is finally catching up to what many of us have already known to be true.   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3641836/ I have suffered from anxiety and still have some neuropathies.  At first I blamed menopause (that alone can make you crazy), but my symptoms tend kick in after a Gluten exposure and improve as I heal.   You are not crazy!  Gluten can cause so many problems.  What other disease requires that the patient be in charge of "medicating" and caring for themselves?  Most of us after a diagnosis get a "Well, just avoid gluten.  Lucky you that there are so many restaurants that offer a gluten free menu!", speech from our doctors.  We never get time off from thinking about food, our next meal and will it be safe?  Our relationship with food changes dramatically and it can be exhausting.   We do need more resources and support from medical, but for now, at least this forum is helpful!    
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kricket73