This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not Trying Enough New Foods...scared Of Allergies..

123glldd

123glldd Collaborator

Thing with the tomato is i'm unsure if it's tomato in general or just ketchup and paste. I don't know if the paste caused me a problem with the pizza or if it was something else. I was worried about the paprika even though it was mccormicks. I'm not sure why....but next day sure enough...reaction. Felt sick a couple hours after eating it but the diarrhea and mucus was next day. NO idea what i reacted to. So I'm not sure if tomato is a problem or if it was just that i was so sensitive at that point and sick that anything with any zing to it my tummy said no more?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
123glldd Collaborator

I should probably add anything including jalepeno kettle chips did the same thing the ketchup did..which is why the only potato chips i'm having now is sea salt or beanitos.

123glldd Collaborator

But it can't be a nightshade thing...because...i eat ore ida french fries all the time...potato.

mushroom Proficient

Can you have chicken too? I would tend to rotate between them if I were you. How about some salmon or tuna? You don't have to eat a whole meal of these things to try them. Just a mouthful or two and see how it goes. If it is all right, try it again the next day. See if you can add some more things in.

As for the paprika, it is in the nightshade family along with the tomato so it would be perfectly possible to react to that too after the tomato reaction.

mushroom Proficient

But the jalapeno is a nightshade too.

123glldd Collaborator

Why am i ok with potato though??

123glldd Collaborator

Another thing I forgot to mention about what helped to make me this phobic was...when my attack first happened I posted about it on here and someone suggested a salicylic acid sensitivity. Which...if you go off of them..then back on..CAN apparently cause anyphylactic shock if reintroduced too quickly etc. But then I eat broccoli and what not with seemingly no problem. And that was listed as being high. Tomato and peppers...paprika...all listed as VERY high in salicylic acid. Potatoes are not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

123glldd Collaborator

But then I don't seem to quite have that either...

shadowicewolf Proficient

And what exactly is the scientific backing or statistics for the shock?

Some food for thought, anything spicy sets my GERD off like mad (reflux). Tomato paste generally is just pure tomato and some mild seasonings (salt, suger?). Ketchup is much akin to that. I'd call out tomatos on that.

At any rate, the internet does not help in this case and often sets us off on "whatgonnahappentomenow" tangents.

Coping thoughts ("its fine, nothings going to happen") can help some.

123glldd Collaborator

Do you think I should never try tomatoes again? Or do you think it's probably just a temporary thing because i over did it? I never had any issues just that one time. Ketchup wasn't the only thing giving me that stuff either but it's the one that sticks out in my mind. I had a lot of that around that time no matter what i ate... eventually it stopped.

123glldd Collaborator

This was the website someone gave me on here... Open Original Shared Link

123glldd Collaborator

Here's a direct link to where they talk about when you re-introduce to be careful. Open Original Shared Link

mushroom Proficient

Perhaps best to go easy on potatoes and eggplant for a while??? Like potatoes not an every day thing? I'm not trying to make you more phobic here, just reinforcing the rotational aspect of eating until your gut gets itself settled down and not so reaction set :) At first I was not too okay with peppers, then I was not at all okay with potatoes, and then came the tomatoes. So at that point I quit eggplant as well, didn't even wait for it :D

The tomato paste, ketchup, pasta sauce and pizza sauce all make sense because they are very concentrated tomato, with all the liquid cooked out of them. So if you were going to react to tomato, that would be the place. And no, I think you may be able to add them back in later, but just give them a break for now. Six months is generally recommended before challenging a food you react to like that.

Yes, a lot of people do react to salicylates. You will just have to test some of them that you do not currently react to, and see what your reaction is. I have no problem with salicylates personally.

Again, people are just making suggestions of things you can explore to see if they are a cause of your problem.

123glldd Collaborator

Been eating potato almost every single day since that incident and that is a lot longer that what I was eating a ton of tomato for so i dunno? The tomato was maybe a few weeks to a month.

123glldd Collaborator

Oh yeah..was also eating amy's palak paneer which had tomato in it but was fine around that time...so not sure wha to think of that. I stopped eating it though because of dairy.

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't have celiac. I don't have food allergies. But I have a lot of other allergies. I have OAS to some nuts. I have a lot of food intolerances. You could start with food allergy tests. Tell them not to test you for wheat. Tell them to test you for the other things. Is there egg in the Scharr crust? Egg gives me a reaction like you had. I can't eat eggs at all.

123glldd Collaborator

Not sure on eggs actually. Not sure if there is egg in rice chex, or ore ida fries but i don't think so. I'll have to check. I've been having very few processed things and i generally don't eat eggs so i'll have to check that out.

123glldd Collaborator

Don't think there is egg in anything including the pizza crust. Just checked. It does have milk protein and YEAST tho. I did wonder about yeast in my bowel.

tom Contributor

Do you think I should never try tomatoes again?

Oh yeah..was also eating amy's palak paneer which had tomato in it but was fine around that time...so not sure wha to think of that. I stopped eating it though because of dairy.

I don't think we should convict tomatoes so quickly.

Ketchup has more than a couple ingreds, incl corn syrup often & it's probably been awhile for a lot of those ingreds.

Jarred sauces have long lists too. And organic non-GMO tomato sauce/paste/etc is a gamechanger for some.

123glldd Collaborator

Or hey maybe it's just pastes i don't like? I was fine until that..or maybe paprika just doesn't agree with me? Could just be peppers? I know my mother in law can't eat green peppers for whatever reason but if they are cooked she's good ...so many options...kinda scary to someday try and figure out what it could be exactly. How do you get tested for nightshade intolerance?

shadowicewolf Proficient

there are no tests for intolerences as far as i know outside of removing them completely from your diet than readding them later.

123glldd Collaborator

Wouldn't it also be possible my reaction could have simply been a product off too much spice? Peppers were in the bruschetta...we were having cilantro chutney all the time..that had peppers..then the paprika....perhaps a healing bowel just couldn't handle the spice and it wasn't tomatoes at all? I find ketchup to have a hell of a lot of zing too. Tart. But does that rule out whole tomatoes?

mushroom Proficient

Peppers and paprika are both in the nightshade family and therefore closely related to tomato. I know tomato is a hard one to avoid, but try it for a week (and the other nightshades - potato, eggplant) and see how you go. With food intolerlances, almost anything is possible, and it is a trial and error kind of thing. We can talk about it all day, but unless you experiment you are not going to be able to find the culprit(s). :)

123glldd Collaborator

The only nightshade i've been eating since august is potato in ore ida fries...sooo...I have avoided the rest. And I never eat eggplant. My onlly point being since the other things were spicey type foods isn't it possible it's not necessarily a nightshade issue but a spicey issue? I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility. I've had zero issues with potato. The rest i haven't touched an ounce of it. Aside from those amys meals for about a month after the incident.

123glldd Collaborator

I'm not having illness issue now so i'm not sure how avoiding anything for a week is going to help i guess is what i'm saying..i've been avoiding the rest for months.

Archived