arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Not Trying Enough New Foods...scared Of Allergies..

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

But since starting to read different topics on this forum i most certainly have seen the allergy thing pop up. But perhaps they were misusing the phrase I dunno.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Quite a few posters see an allergist for skin testing to find out what foods they are sensitive to. It doesn't mean they are allergic to them all - depends on how strong the reaction is. Twenty years ago I tested sensitive to soy and corn. Didn't take much notice at the time, but I definitely am, but not allergic.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Actually, allergic reactions can be more than just hives/swelling/throat issues. Another sign is full on body burning. That is what i go through with tomatos, though when it happens its mainly isolated to my head/face/neck/sholders (which i later got a hive reaction to doing a skin test). I spoke with the head of the allergy department at the hospital i go to and he stated that that was indeed one. Yet another is numb tongue and lips. It varies from person to person, but they are indeed rare.

#19 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I guess a better way of describing what happened is this....

I had my reaction....and after that I was getting a lot of upper tummy pain and just generally not much appetite for about week. I tried having ketchup with fries after that and got really heartburny. So I figured tomato would probably be a no no at the moment. But I ended up going so long not eating certain things...i'm scared i'll go back to them now and have a reaction to things i didn't even have reactions to before you know?

#20 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I was on a limited diet so long i'm scared i'm suddenly sensitive OR allergic...pick one. lol

#21 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

For instance..i really want to try making tahini to get more calcium along with greens. I don't think i can eat like 3 cups of greens a day realistically. I know sesame seeds are high in it...but...i hear so many people have problems with them...i don't THINK i ever had issue with them? But....who knows. I just really want to be able to eat healthy again.

#22 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

To be perfectly honest here, food scared the heck out of me (like panic over trying a new food) and I am beyond terrified of being nauseous or throwing up, this went on for over a year until one day I looked at my kids and decided I didn't want to teach them to be afraid of food. For me, I just had to bite the bullet and try it, at first I would make sure my oldest was at her grandmas and the bathroom was freed up (youngest is still in diapers) and after eating the food I would panic. After multiple times of not having a reaction to every new I tried I am getting a bit braver. I still have some issues I'm working through when it comes to food panic, but there is definite progress.

I guess I was hoping this may encourage you some and when you decide you are ready to not let food panic have the control just make sure you have a plan, that way it won't feel so daunting at first. Also remember that after being scared of food, it will take time to not be afraid of it anymore.

#23 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Yes, once you have started reacting to a food like tomato you had best leave it alone for about six months. I haven't actually tried any in a couple of years but this summer, from my own garden, I am having a BLT :) This is why (from experience) I recommend that you rotate your foods and don't eat the same thing every day (if you have enough safe foods to do that :) ) Which is why you need to deal in some way with your fears, IMHO, so you can add some additional foods into your diet. If it is not something you have ever had an issue with, give it a try - don't worry about what others have issues with.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#24 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Welcome to my life :)

Chocolate is on my no-go list at the moment due to a weird reaction to ice cream with it (dry mouth/throat for 4+hours with no relief). I thought about trying it when i was at home last week, but was too sick, so sweet potatos took that place.

As of right now i'm not eating:

spinage (gave me massive "D", i think it was mainly because my system was taxed after a stomach bug)

green beans (adored these as a child, made my tongue numb twice, so yeah no more for me)

My doctors know of my issue with food and just tell me to try. Baby steps, baby steps.

#25 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

So I'm eating beans for protein each day....sometimes i have meat but don't wanna overdo it especially with beef....should i not be doing this then?

#26 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thing with the tomato is i'm unsure if it's tomato in general or just ketchup and paste. I don't know if the paste caused me a problem with the pizza or if it was something else. I was worried about the paprika even though it was mccormicks. I'm not sure why....but next day sure enough...reaction. Felt sick a couple hours after eating it but the diarrhea and mucus was next day. NO idea what i reacted to. So I'm not sure if tomato is a problem or if it was just that i was so sensitive at that point and sick that anything with any zing to it my tummy said no more?

#27 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

I should probably add anything including jalepeno kettle chips did the same thing the ketchup did..which is why the only potato chips i'm having now is sea salt or beanitos.

#28 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

But it can't be a nightshade thing...because...i eat ore ida french fries all the time...potato.

#29 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Can you have chicken too? I would tend to rotate between them if I were you. How about some salmon or tuna? You don't have to eat a whole meal of these things to try them. Just a mouthful or two and see how it goes. If it is all right, try it again the next day. See if you can add some more things in.

As for the paprika, it is in the nightshade family along with the tomato so it would be perfectly possible to react to that too after the tomato reaction.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#30 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

But the jalapeno is a nightshade too.
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009