Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

So Is This Dh?

9 posts in this topic

My wife has been telling me for a couple years now, that she suspects I have celiac disease. Now I have developed a really aggravating rash, it's very itchy, and even though I haven't been scratching it, it's raw. My question is, does anyone think this is DH?? http://s657.beta.pho...html?sort=3&o=0

Ads by Google:

Yes, I think it's QUITE possible that you have DH. Have you considered going on a gluten-free diet? If so, please eliminate iodine for a while, too, since it exacerbates DH. (P.S. Give your wife a kiss! She's a smart lady!)

Yes, I think it's QUITE possible that you have DH. Have you considered going on a gluten-free diet? If so, please eliminate iodine for a while, too, since it exacerbates DH. (P.S. Give your wife a kiss! She's a smart lady!)

Ditto!

Well, it's sure in the right spot for DH. Do you have it anywhere else? It looks similar to my rash. I'd say the only way to know for sure is to have it biopsied but unfortunately that isn't always accurate.

Jane

Well, it's sure in the right spot for DH. Do you have it anywhere else? It looks similar to my rash. I'd say the only way to know for sure is to have it biopsied but unfortunately that isn't always accurate.

Jane

Thanks for the replies. I currently have it also on my inner thighs on both legs midway down to my knee, and it's starting in my underarm area as well. I went to the Doc today and he's sending me to allergist. So we'll see what's going on hopefully. He did prescribe a steroid dose pack, but I'm not sure if that'll help.

Edited by bigkane

If they end up doing a biopsy, INSIST that they biopsy the clear skin NEXT to the lesions. If they biopsy the lesions themselves for DH, they will come up as false-negatives. Very few dermatologist know how to correctly biopsy for DH. Good luck there!

Thanks for the replies. I currently have it also on my inner thighs on both legs midway down to my knee, and it's starting in my underarm area as well. I went to the Doc today and he's sending me to allergist. So we'll see what's going on hopefully. He did prescribe a steroid dose pack, but I'm not sure if that'll help.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe should it come to you having a biopsy the steroids will affect those resuls (false negative). Just something to keep in mind.

I think you're right--steroids might skew the biopsy results. The poster should have been referred to dermatologist and not an allergist.

Steroids, topical or oral will make a biopsy of the rash, or a celiac blood panel or an endoscopic biopsy NEGATIVE. No steroids should be used for 2 months prior to any testing.

Yes, the op should have been referred to a dermatologist.

And to top things off; generally celiacs with dh test neg. on the blood panel & endoscopic biopsy.

AND for the skin biopsy you MUST be actively consuming gluten or else you get a false negative.

Some links:

Interesting Reading on DH:

Descriptions of DH Types:

Help for the Itching, Stinging, Burning, Pain of DH:

DH Photobank:

Newbie 101 for celiacs

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Michael, That's quite a spike in blood pressure!  I haven't tested that myself and don't want to if it means I have to eat gluten.  Blood pressure testing to identify food reactions is something that has come up before.  It sounds like it might be possible but I don't know how much study has been done on it.  Probably not much since it is such a simple, straight forward idea. Welcome to the forum!
    • Hi Megan, Did the doctor test you for celiac disease?  You really shouldn't go gluten-free until all the testing for celiac disease is completed.  It is a little odd for a doctor to tell you to go gluten-free for no reason IMHO.  Did he/she explain the reason for it? Personally, I have learned over the years what I can eat safely and what I can't.  Occasionally I get hit but it is rare.  Simplifying your diet is a good first step.  Avoiding processed foods for a while and dairy also is good.  I suggest any change you make last for a month at least. Then try the food again. If you are eating 100 random ingredients/foods each day it is hard to figure these things out.  If you reduce it to a much smaller number of foods then things become simpler. Welcome to the forum!
    • hey! Wondering if I can get some good info/help from you guys! I just signed up for this website couple weeks ago. Whenever I would Google things this was always the first to pop up and I always found info on things I googled. I am pretty new to the gluten free thing. I had a hernia surgery back in Jan and after that I kept throwing up after eating, the DR. told me it was probably acid reflex caused from surgery but all the meds I tried nothing helped. I went back and was told to cut gluten out. I have been doing so since. When I first started I felt like I had it under control and didn't throw up for 3 weeks, now I find it happening more often. I do buy gluten-free things and read labels to the best I can. My frustration comes from not knowing what its from. How do you know if its from the day before or what you just ate? I hate not knowing. Especially when I haven't had gluten (or so I think) I have been keeping a journal but I just find it so hard. I get this feeling in my stomach and can feel it in my throat. Sometimes I puke once sometimes 5 times! Yesterday for lunch I made an omlet with chicken mushrooms and feta cheese. I threw up almost 20 min after. I have also tried the no dairy thing and it doesn't seem to make a difference so I don't think dairy is an issue as well.
    • I have been on a gluten-free diet for exactly one-year. During that time, I have had no stomach issues or problems when I inadvertently ingested gluten. The other day, I had GI discomfort (no vomiting or diarrhea) and my blood pressure spiked t0 200/98 (normally 119/75). As my GI discomfort subsided, my pressure crept back to normal. This took about 16-hours. I know that I ingested something with gluten, which I had thought was gluten-free.  It never bothered me before. Should I expect that the longer I'm gluten-free, the more susceptible I will be to having a pronounced reaction to inadvertent gluten exposure? Has anyone else had similar experiences with blood pressure spikes?
    • If this is helpful: My local public library had a copy of Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.  There is a Facebook group, I believe it is easily found by searching SCD Diet, and it's a closed group.  If you go directly to the official website of Breaking the Vicious Cycle, there's lots of information for free available, including the basics about the intro diet and beyond.  I would go to the original source of this diet rather than go to other groups/books who have perhaps veered away from Elaine Gottschall's fundamentals. Best wishes to you!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ayryil