8 replies to this topic

#1 bigkane

bigkane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

My wife has been telling me for a couple years now, that she suspects I have celiac disease. Now I have developed a really aggravating rash, it's very itchy, and even though I haven't been scratching it, it's raw. My question is, does anyone think this is DH?? http://s657.beta.pho...html?sort=3&o=0

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Yes, I think it's QUITE possible that you have DH. Have you considered going on a gluten-free diet? If so, please eliminate iodine for a while, too, since it exacerbates DH. (P.S. Give your wife a kiss! She's a smart lady!)

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yes, I think it's QUITE possible that you have DH. Have you considered going on a gluten-free diet? If so, please eliminate iodine for a while, too, since it exacerbates DH. (P.S. Give your wife a kiss! She's a smart lady!)

Ditto!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Well, it's sure in the right spot for DH. Do you have it anywhere else? It looks similar to my rash. I'd say the only way to know for sure is to have it biopsied but unfortunately that isn't always accurate.

Jane
Gluten free since 2010 when it was suggested that my vertigo/dizzy problems may be from gluten. Tested negative for DH in April of 2012. However I'm not convinced I don't have DH as pictures and description pretty much match what I have.
11/2012 tested positve for 1 of the 2 celiac genes

#5 bigkane

bigkane

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well, it's sure in the right spot for DH. Do you have it anywhere else? It looks similar to my rash. I'd say the only way to know for sure is to have it biopsied but unfortunately that isn't always accurate.

Jane

Thanks for the replies. I currently have it also on my inner thighs on both legs midway down to my knee, and it's starting in my underarm area as well. I went to the Doc today and he's sending me to allergist. So we'll see what's going on hopefully. He did prescribe a steroid dose pack, but I'm not sure if that'll help.

Edited by bigkane, 29 November 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

If they end up doing a biopsy, INSIST that they biopsy the clear skin NEXT to the lesions. If they biopsy the lesions themselves for DH, they will come up as false-negatives. Very few dermatologist know how to correctly biopsy for DH. Good luck there!

#7 JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. I currently have it also on my inner thighs on both legs midway down to my knee, and it's starting in my underarm area as well. I went to the Doc today and he's sending me to allergist. So we'll see what's going on hopefully. He did prescribe a steroid dose pack, but I'm not sure if that'll help.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe should it come to you having a biopsy the steroids will affect those resuls (false negative). Just something to keep in mind.
Gluten free since 2010 when it was suggested that my vertigo/dizzy problems may be from gluten. Tested negative for DH in April of 2012. However I'm not convinced I don't have DH as pictures and description pretty much match what I have.
11/2012 tested positve for 1 of the 2 celiac genes

#8 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I think you're right--steroids might skew the biopsy results. The poster should have been referred to dermatologist and not an allergist.

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Steroids, topical or oral will make a biopsy of the rash, or a celiac blood panel or an endoscopic biopsy NEGATIVE. No steroids should be used for 2 months prior to any testing.
Yes, the op should have been referred to a dermatologist.
And to top things off; generally celiacs with dh test neg. on the blood panel & endoscopic biopsy.
AND for the skin biopsy you MUST be actively consuming gluten or else you get a false negative.

Some links:

Interesting Reading on DH:

http://www.celiac.co...-reading-on-dh/

Descriptions of DH Types:

http://www.celiac.co...ns-of-dh-types/

Help for the Itching, Stinging, Burning, Pain of DH:

http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry823195

DH Photobank:

http://www.celiac.co...-dh-photo-bank/

Newbie 101 for celiacs

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: