3 replies to this topic

#1 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

A discussion of liquor has popped up on our local gluten-free Facebook page - someone asserted that bourbon is not gluten-free, and I responded that, as far as I knew, all liquors (as long as they have nothing added to them), because they are distilled, are gluten-free, no matter what they are made from. In fact, there is a great and detailed article here:

http://www.celiac.co...Free/Page1.html

Of course, someone else disagreed with me, and said that after consuming egg nog with bourbon she was sick for days and described Celiac-reactive symptoms.

She said she contacted the distillery, and that they said a Celiac reaction was possible (she didn't provide any details about what she actually asked or how they actually responded, and I doubt the person with whom she talked understood Celiac), but didn't provide any other details.

Instead of arguing the point, I thought I'd ask for people's knowledge and opinions here. I think she likely was glutened from something else, or that someone used a cheap liquor with a malt additive.

Ultimately, it's a non-issue for me, because I don't drink whiskey, bourbon, rye, or scotch, and have no desire to in the future. But I do get concerned when folks assert having had problems with something in a venue that will heavily influence other people when that might not be accurate...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

While most celiacs will tolerate distilled gluten with no issues a few of us do react. I don't know why but do know I am one of them. I stick to clear rum, potato vodka or wine on the rare occasions that I do have a drink.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

All distilled alcohols are considered safe for most people with Celiac to consume. But, there are a few that I know of that do react to grain based alcohol.

http://www.celiac.co...ages/Page1.html
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Some celiacs react to lower levels of gluten than others. Some find that they need to stick to foods made in a facility where gluten grains are not present at all. Since a distillation of a gluten grain cannot be done in a facility where gluten grains are not present, that could indicate an issue for these super sensitive celiacs. The distillation process should remove gluten, but cross contamination could occur elsewhere in the facility since gluten is present there. The amounts would be very small and considered safe for the majority of celiacs.

Those of us sensitive to lower amounts may not realize at first what is going on. We may think that something is unsafe for celiacs because we react to it, and not realize that most don't. It takes awhile to figure this all out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: