34 replies to this topic

#1 Coryad

Coryad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

So I just wanted to throw this out there :)

I am sitting at work and someone is making toast in the kitchen area nearby. I literally started to drool..... I miss toast and PB in the morning so much. gluten-free bread is ok in a pinch but it's just not the same. I've only been at this gluten-free thing for about 8 month now, I do hope this gets easier.... or maybe I just need to move my cubicle LOL!

Cory
Cory

Diagnosed Celiac 4/12 due to DH
Eliminated food molds 1/12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

LOL 'Tis the season to drool.

Sabotage the toaster with some bad smelling burnt crumbs. LOL ;)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Not anymore do i. I cheated once on the bread (early on), it tasted nothing like i remembered. It was bland and... sandpapery....

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

I'm 'lucky', the smell of toast makes me feel sick now, so I'd be fighting you for that new cubicle but for different reasons!
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 gfreejz

gfreejz

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

So today at work they had a pizza party. I knew It would be easier to eat my gluten/dairy free spaghetti before hand. So I ate early but now was hungry again so i went into lunch room to get some peanuts. As soon as I opened the lunchroom door it hit me. Sweet mother of God the smell eminating from those twelve empty dominoes boxes was euphoric. Ohh boy my heart skipped a beat. It was multiple aromatic orgasms with goosebumps on top. Anyone relate? Its been about twenty minutes now and I think I'm withdrawing. My eyes and nose are watery and feel cold and jittery. I surely wont cheat but a cigarette sure seems good about now.

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

HAHAHAAAA! One day at work people were passing around a plate full of brownies,
and it was handed to me to pass on, however, I started unwrapping it. My (lovely) coworker
said 'Hey! You can't have that!' And I said 'But I can SMELL it!!!' And proceeded to take a
very big whiff, to the laughter and amusement of the entire office......

I do find my stomach turned by bakery/bread smells, but things like brownies and cake, or
fried chicken or things like that, don't smell any different to me gluteny/gluten free. They
clearly LOOK different to me, especially fried things, but they smell the same to me, so I
go around smelling people's food. They get used to it after a while. :D
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

So I just wanted to throw this out there :)

I am sitting at work and someone is making toast in the kitchen area nearby. I literally started to drool..... I miss toast and PB in the morning so much. gluten-free bread is ok in a pinch but it's just not the same. I've only been at this gluten-free thing for about 8 month now, I do hope this gets easier.... or maybe I just need to move my cubicle LOL!

Cory

Hi Cory, get yourself a $10 toaster and a loaf of Glutino Genius White Bread. Fabulous toasted with peanut butter.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 Little Joe

Little Joe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I drive by a commercial bakery (Holsum) on my way home most evenings and the smell is oh so good. Fortunately it does not make me want bread, so I can look forward to enjoying that smell whenever I am taking that route home.

My celiac disease diagnosis was suspected two weeks ago and confirmed just last week, but I have been following a low-carb/almost-paleo*/almost-grain-free* diet since April of this year (and also for several years when I was younger). The result is that, at home, my diet has not changed much. Certainly I am more careful about prepared and packaged foods, but most of my food comes from the vegetable and meat counters (that said, my wife is incredibly supportive and has declared that our entire home will be gluten-free, and we are auditing/researching everything that we buy for food, supplements, anything to be digested).

My cravings for breads, pastas, pizza, rice, potatoes, etc. stopped several months ago. I feel especially blessed in this regard as I can imagine how hard it is for a newly diagnosed celiac to have to give up so many of the food s/he has grown to love. For me, I have already been through that; the toughest was when I *first* did low-carb in the late '90s--this last time it was not hard at all to give up the carbs/grains. For me, the radical part of this dietary change is the limitations placed on going out to eat. At this time, I am not terribly interested in anything but getting gluten-free, so I do not miss eating out... too much. I imagine I will start to miss it and to investigate the options available in due time... but that is probably for a different discussion.

I also learned that the thought of bread, and the missing of bread was far more powerful than the enjoyment I got if I ate some. After being low-carb for a few months, bread and other carb-rich foods (at least for me) seem to loose their flavor, and I think that is what allows me to enjoy that bakery smell without wanting bread.

*I have to chuckle a bit. I describe my diet as almost-paleo because I enjoy cheap, light beer (rarely, but that is what I like when I want a drink), a bit of cheese and yogurt, cream in my coffee, and... a terribly unhealthy, unnaturally delicious, impossibly round, breaded, deep-fried, chicken-product patty they serve at the local dining hall (I work on a college campus). Of all the stuff I am going to miss, I think that damned chicken patty is the one that I am going to miss the most! (being a sailor, I think it wholly appropriate to substitute rum for beer on those rare times I want a drink)

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I drive by a commercial bakery (Holsum) on my way home most evenings and the smell is oh so good. Fortunately it does not make me want bread, so I can look forward to enjoying that smell whenever I am taking that route home.

My celiac disease diagnosis was suspected two weeks ago and confirmed just last week, but I have been following a low-carb/almost-paleo*/almost-grain-free* diet since April of this year (and also for several years when I was younger). The result is that, at home, my diet has not changed much. Certainly I am more careful about prepared and packaged foods, but most of my food comes from the vegetable and meat counters (that said, my wife is incredibly supportive and has declared that our entire home will be gluten-free, and we are auditing/researching everything that we buy for food, supplements, anything to be digested).

My cravings for breads, pastas, pizza, rice, potatoes, etc. stopped several months ago. I feel especially blessed in this regard as I can imagine how hard it is for a newly diagnosed celiac to have to give up so many of the food s/he has grown to love. For me, I have already been through that; the toughest was when I *first* did low-carb in the late '90s--this last time it was not hard at all to give up the carbs/grains. For me, the radical part of this dietary change is the limitations placed on going out to eat. At this time, I am not terribly interested in anything but getting gluten-free, so I do not miss eating out... too much. I imagine I will start to miss it and to investigate the options available in due time... but that is probably for a different discussion.

I also learned that the thought of bread, and the missing of bread was far more powerful than the enjoyment I got if I ate some. After being low-carb for a few months, bread and other carb-rich foods (at least for me) seem to loose their flavor, and I think that is what allows me to enjoy that bakery smell without wanting bread.

*I have to chuckle a bit. I describe my diet as almost-paleo because I enjoy cheap, light beer (rarely, but that is what I like when I want a drink), a bit of cheese and yogurt, cream in my coffee, and... a terribly unhealthy, unnaturally delicious, impossibly round, breaded, deep-fried, chicken-product patty they serve at the local dining hall (I work on a college campus). Of all the stuff I am going to miss, I think that damned chicken patty is the one that I am going to miss the most! (being a sailor, I think it wholly appropriate to substitute rum for beer on those rare times I want a drink)

Well, if it's a chicken patty you want, Bell & Evans is the brand for you! They
make the BEST gluten free frozen fried chicken products. And yes, rum is an
acceptable (and much more affordable) alternative to what mostly amounts to
crappy gluten free beer. In my opinion the only good stuff is Green's. But then
you said you like crappy lite beer! :lol: In which case, enjoy your Redbridge.

#10 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Man, I still love the aroma of freshly-baked breads and other baked goods. Makes me drool. I am a baker and am so passionate about food that for me it is impossible to forget how good things taste/smell. Thankfully, as I am a baker I can make exciting and delicious baked goods.

For the first few weeks after going gluten free I had withdrawal. My cravings for baked goods (including pizzas) were extremely intense. That dissipated somewhat since but not entirely. It does get better, though. It really and truly does. And if you enjoy baking there is a whole new world of cool ingredients to work with! :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I think I would really truly miss the smell of the occasional piece of warm French bread if it weren't for a gluten-free baguette I buy at Whole Foods (I think the brand is Against the Grain?) It makes the best garlic bread! It's a little eggier than most baguettes, but I actually prefer that.

That bread alone has saved me from missing anything bread-like. Even my non-gluten-free housemate likes it just fine.

Now if a perfect pasta would just come along...

ps. (don't get me wrong, there are plenty gluten-free versions I enjoy, but none matches a real semolina)

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#12 Coryad

Coryad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

Ooooo thanks! I've tried Udi's and Rudi's gluten-free breads but ..... ugh. I'll look for the Glutino.

Someone mentioned pizza.... another smell that drives me batty :D Friday nights were always pizza and beer nights *sigh* Oh well, my butt certainly can afford to skip the pizza and I can have gluten-free beer, even if it's sub-par.

Hi Cory, get yourself a $10 toaster and a loaf of Glutino Genius White Bread. Fabulous toasted with peanut butter.

Cory

Diagnosed Celiac 4/12 due to DH
Eliminated food molds 1/12

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Pizza! Okay my Hubs makes me the best pizza in the world. He uses "Smart & Delicious Wraps" for the crust. They are made from Ivory Teff and Millet and certified gluten free. Add pizza sauce. I like ground beef and green olives on mine.

My Hubs the Glutenator, even likes these and will make one for him instead of getting a regular pizza. Amazing, I know. He actually bought these wraps and came up with the pizza thing his self. I'm very lucky to have my Hubs.

Happy Eating,

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think I would really truly miss the smell of the occasional piece of warm French bread if it weren't for a gluten-free baguette I buy at Whole Foods (I think the brand is Against the Grain?) It makes the best garlic bread! It's a little eggier than most baguettes, but I actually prefer that.

That bread alone has saved me from missing anything bread-like. Even my non-gluten-free housemate likes it just fine.

Now if a perfect pasta would just come along...

ps. (don't get me wrong, there are plenty gluten-free versions I enjoy, but none matches a real semolina)

I second the Against the Grain baguette recommendation! That is some seriously good stuff.
My favorite pasta so far has been the Jovial brand, but I'm too cheap for that and usually buy
the Trader Joe's rice pasta.

#15 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Pizza! Okay my Hubs makes me the best pizza in the world. He uses "Smart & Delicious Wraps" for the crust. They are made from Ivory Teff and Millet and certified gluten free.

Does millet bother you at all? I have thyroid problems, too, and my endo told me to stay away from all millet... :(

I do love the smell of anything baked. This must be why I love baking! If I pause and think about it, though, rarely the taste is anywhere as exhilarating as the aroma. I even like the smell of warm yeast.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: