This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Aroma!

Coryad

Coryad Rookie

So I just wanted to throw this out there :)

I am sitting at work and someone is making toast in the kitchen area nearby. I literally started to drool..... I miss toast and PB in the morning so much. gluten-free bread is ok in a pinch but it's just not the same. I've only been at this gluten-free thing for about 8 month now, I do hope this gets easier.... or maybe I just need to move my cubicle LOL!

Cory

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL 'Tis the season to drool.

Sabotage the toaster with some bad smelling burnt crumbs. LOL ;)

shadowicewolf Proficient

Not anymore do i. I cheated once on the bread (early on), it tasted nothing like i remembered. It was bland and... sandpapery....

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I'm 'lucky', the smell of toast makes me feel sick now, so I'd be fighting you for that new cubicle but for different reasons!

gfreejz Rookie

So today at work they had a pizza party. I knew It would be easier to eat my gluten/dairy free spaghetti before hand. So I ate early but now was hungry again so i went into lunch room to get some peanuts. As soon as I opened the lunchroom door it hit me. Sweet mother of God the smell eminating from those twelve empty dominoes boxes was euphoric. Ohh boy my heart skipped a beat. It was multiple aromatic orgasms with goosebumps on top. Anyone relate? Its been about twenty minutes now and I think I'm withdrawing. My eyes and nose are watery and feel cold and jittery. I surely wont cheat but a cigarette sure seems good about now.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

HAHAHAAAA! One day at work people were passing around a plate full of brownies,

and it was handed to me to pass on, however, I started unwrapping it. My (lovely) coworker

said 'Hey! You can't have that!' And I said 'But I can SMELL it!!!' And proceeded to take a

very big whiff, to the laughter and amusement of the entire office......

I do find my stomach turned by bakery/bread smells, but things like brownies and cake, or

fried chicken or things like that, don't smell any different to me gluteny/gluten free. They

clearly LOOK different to me, especially fried things, but they smell the same to me, so I

go around smelling people's food. They get used to it after a while. :D

jerseyangel Proficient

I am sitting at work and someone is making toast in the kitchen area nearby. I literally started to drool..... I miss toast and PB in the morning so much. gluten-free bread is ok in a pinch but it's just not the same. I've only been at this gluten-free thing for about 8 month now, I do hope this gets easier.... or maybe I just need to move my cubicle LOL!

Cory

Hi Cory, get yourself a $10 toaster and a loaf of Glutino Genius White Bread. Fabulous toasted with peanut butter.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Little Joe Newbie

I drive by a commercial bakery (Holsum) on my way home most evenings and the smell is oh so good. Fortunately it does not make me want bread, so I can look forward to enjoying that smell whenever I am taking that route home.

My celiac disease diagnosis was suspected two weeks ago and confirmed just last week, but I have been following a low-carb/almost-paleo*/almost-grain-free* diet since April of this year (and also for several years when I was younger). The result is that, at home, my diet has not changed much. Certainly I am more careful about prepared and packaged foods, but most of my food comes from the vegetable and meat counters (that said, my wife is incredibly supportive and has declared that our entire home will be gluten-free, and we are auditing/researching everything that we buy for food, supplements, anything to be digested).

My cravings for breads, pastas, pizza, rice, potatoes, etc. stopped several months ago. I feel especially blessed in this regard as I can imagine how hard it is for a newly diagnosed celiac to have to give up so many of the food s/he has grown to love. For me, I have already been through that; the toughest was when I *first* did low-carb in the late '90s--this last time it was not hard at all to give up the carbs/grains. For me, the radical part of this dietary change is the limitations placed on going out to eat. At this time, I am not terribly interested in anything but getting gluten-free, so I do not miss eating out... too much. I imagine I will start to miss it and to investigate the options available in due time... but that is probably for a different discussion.

I also learned that the thought of bread, and the missing of bread was far more powerful than the enjoyment I got if I ate some. After being low-carb for a few months, bread and other carb-rich foods (at least for me) seem to loose their flavor, and I think that is what allows me to enjoy that bakery smell without wanting bread.

*I have to chuckle a bit. I describe my diet as almost-paleo because I enjoy cheap, light beer (rarely, but that is what I like when I want a drink), a bit of cheese and yogurt, cream in my coffee, and... a terribly unhealthy, unnaturally delicious, impossibly round, breaded, deep-fried, chicken-product patty they serve at the local dining hall (I work on a college campus). Of all the stuff I am going to miss, I think that damned chicken patty is the one that I am going to miss the most! (being a sailor, I think it wholly appropriate to substitute rum for beer on those rare times I want a drink)

I drive by a commercial bakery (Holsum) on my way home most evenings and the smell is oh so good. Fortunately it does not make me want bread, so I can look forward to enjoying that smell whenever I am taking that route home.

My celiac disease diagnosis was suspected two weeks ago and confirmed just last week, but I have been following a low-carb/almost-paleo*/almost-grain-free* diet since April of this year (and also for several years when I was younger). The result is that, at home, my diet has not changed much. Certainly I am more careful about prepared and packaged foods, but most of my food comes from the vegetable and meat counters (that said, my wife is incredibly supportive and has declared that our entire home will be gluten-free, and we are auditing/researching everything that we buy for food, supplements, anything to be digested).

My cravings for breads, pastas, pizza, rice, potatoes, etc. stopped several months ago. I feel especially blessed in this regard as I can imagine how hard it is for a newly diagnosed celiac to have to give up so many of the food s/he has grown to love. For me, I have already been through that; the toughest was when I *first* did low-carb in the late '90s--this last time it was not hard at all to give up the carbs/grains. For me, the radical part of this dietary change is the limitations placed on going out to eat. At this time, I am not terribly interested in anything but getting gluten-free, so I do not miss eating out... too much. I imagine I will start to miss it and to investigate the options available in due time... but that is probably for a different discussion.

I also learned that the thought of bread, and the missing of bread was far more powerful than the enjoyment I got if I ate some. After being low-carb for a few months, bread and other carb-rich foods (at least for me) seem to loose their flavor, and I think that is what allows me to enjoy that bakery smell without wanting bread.

*I have to chuckle a bit. I describe my diet as almost-paleo because I enjoy cheap, light beer (rarely, but that is what I like when I want a drink), a bit of cheese and yogurt, cream in my coffee, and... a terribly unhealthy, unnaturally delicious, impossibly round, breaded, deep-fried, chicken-product patty they serve at the local dining hall (I work on a college campus). Of all the stuff I am going to miss, I think that damned chicken patty is the one that I am going to miss the most! (being a sailor, I think it wholly appropriate to substitute rum for beer on those rare times I want a drink)

Well, if it's a chicken patty you want, Bell & Evans is the brand for you! They

make the BEST gluten free frozen fried chicken products. And yes, rum is an

acceptable (and much more affordable) alternative to what mostly amounts to

crappy gluten free beer. In my opinion the only good stuff is Green's. But then

you said you like crappy lite beer! :lol: In which case, enjoy your Redbridge.

love2travel Mentor

Man, I still love the aroma of freshly-baked breads and other baked goods. Makes me drool. I am a baker and am so passionate about food that for me it is impossible to forget how good things taste/smell. Thankfully, as I am a baker I can make exciting and delicious baked goods.

For the first few weeks after going gluten free I had withdrawal. My cravings for baked goods (including pizzas) were extremely intense. That dissipated somewhat since but not entirely. It does get better, though. It really and truly does. And if you enjoy baking there is a whole new world of cool ingredients to work with! :P

gatita Enthusiast

I think I would really truly miss the smell of the occasional piece of warm French bread if it weren't for a gluten-free baguette I buy at Whole Foods (I think the brand is Against the Grain?) It makes the best garlic bread! It's a little eggier than most baguettes, but I actually prefer that.

That bread alone has saved me from missing anything bread-like. Even my non-gluten-free housemate likes it just fine.

Now if a perfect pasta would just come along...

ps. (don't get me wrong, there are plenty gluten-free versions I enjoy, but none matches a real semolina)

Coryad Rookie

Ooooo thanks! I've tried Udi's and Rudi's gluten-free breads but ..... ugh. I'll look for the Glutino.

Someone mentioned pizza.... another smell that drives me batty :D Friday nights were always pizza and beer nights *sigh* Oh well, my butt certainly can afford to skip the pizza and I can have gluten-free beer, even if it's sub-par.

Hi Cory, get yourself a $10 toaster and a loaf of Glutino Genius White Bread. Fabulous toasted with peanut butter.

GF Lover Rising Star

Pizza! Okay my Hubs makes me the best pizza in the world. He uses "Smart & Delicious Wraps" for the crust. They are made from Ivory Teff and Millet and certified gluten free. Add pizza sauce. I like ground beef and green olives on mine.

My Hubs the Glutenator, even likes these and will make one for him instead of getting a regular pizza. Amazing, I know. He actually bought these wraps and came up with the pizza thing his self. I'm very lucky to have my Hubs.

Happy Eating,

Colleen

I think I would really truly miss the smell of the occasional piece of warm French bread if it weren't for a gluten-free baguette I buy at Whole Foods (I think the brand is Against the Grain?) It makes the best garlic bread! It's a little eggier than most baguettes, but I actually prefer that.

That bread alone has saved me from missing anything bread-like. Even my non-gluten-free housemate likes it just fine.

Now if a perfect pasta would just come along...

ps. (don't get me wrong, there are plenty gluten-free versions I enjoy, but none matches a real semolina)

I second the Against the Grain baguette recommendation! That is some seriously good stuff.

My favorite pasta so far has been the Jovial brand, but I'm too cheap for that and usually buy

the Trader Joe's rice pasta.

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

Pizza! Okay my Hubs makes me the best pizza in the world. He uses "Smart & Delicious Wraps" for the crust. They are made from Ivory Teff and Millet and certified gluten free.

Does millet bother you at all? I have thyroid problems, too, and my endo told me to stay away from all millet... :(

I do love the smell of anything baked. This must be why I love baking! If I pause and think about it, though, rarely the taste is anywhere as exhilarating as the aroma. I even like the smell of warm yeast.

GF Lover Rising Star

Does millet bother you at all? I have thyroid problems, too, and my endo told me to stay away from all millet... :(

I do love the smell of anything baked. This must be why I love baking! If I pause and think about it, though, rarely the taste is anywhere as exhilarating as the aroma. I even like the smell of warm yeast.

Never heard of millet bothering thyroid disease. It hasn't bothered me one bit. I hope your able to try it but check with your endo first. Maybe it's something just in your case with millet.

Colleen

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

If you make a search for millet+goitrogen you can read and decide for yourself. This is what I am referring to:

Open Original Shared Link

It shouldn't be an issue unless consumed daily. I always prefer to be safe, but I guess it works differently for everybody, and each has to figure out what works/doesn't work for them.

I have chosen to eliminate all possible thyroid-inhibitors from my diet and see what happens. I am guinea-pigging myself :) I used to not believe it mattered, but I noticed that I do feel hypo from even one serving of cooked almonds or canola (and it wasn't like things I consumed habitually, so even casual exposure matters for me), and hyper-and-then-hypo (which is weird) from just two chocolates containing soy lechitin. For now, I can say that when I keep to this diet I have neither the brain-fog of hypothyroidism, not the useless frenzy of hyperthyroidism.

burdee Enthusiast

Cory

Which gluten free breads have you tried? Udi's? Rudi's? Kinnickinnik? Which varieties? Most people who dislike gluten free breads have only tried brands (like Ener-G) which have horrible varieties in grocery stories and a few good ones only available at their local bakery (my experience w/ Ener-G). I actually use the Seattle Brown hamburger buns (Ener-g) as English muffins for my peanut butter and fruit or jam toppings every morning. Food for Life also has some good gluten-free English muffins, which I've tried with PB & J.

Kathy59 Rookie

I just made the most wonderful pizza this evening! I usually use Bob's Red Mill, but had a box of Gluten Free Pantry French Bread/Pizza Mix....I used milk instead of water and butter instead of vegetable oil! It is a keeper....crust was thicker than we like...so next time I will divide in half for the thin crust effect, but this made into french bread would be delicious! I think the milk and butter, make it much richer...it is fluffy....tasted very good! I, too, have been guilty of smelling foods....thank goodness if I really want brownies or cookies, Betty Crocker makes good gluten-free mixes...as far as pasta...love Quinoa (sp) pastas! Going to experiment with my first gluten-free pie crust this weekend! Used Udi's Bread to make into bread crumbs for dressing for Thanksgiving...couldn't tell the difference! I do drink Redbridge beer and call it what you want, but it works for me!

jerseyangel Proficient

I make pizza crust with the Gluten Free Pantry French Bread mix also. I like thin crust, so I get 3 crusts out of a box.

Gemini Experienced

I second the Against the Grain baguette recommendation! That is some seriously good stuff.

My favorite pasta so far has been the Jovial brand, but I'm too cheap for that and usually buy

the Trader Joe's rice pasta.

Against the Grain baguettes are like food crack.......once you have them, it's tough to not buy them. I think it is the best gluten-free French-type bread out there. It is delicious grilled and used to make bruschetta.

gatita Enthusiast

Against the Grain baguettes are like food crack.....

:D :D LOL!!

Kathy59 Rookie

I have tried both the rice and corn pasta..I prefer the corn pasta because i feel like I am biting in to something...however, I do not have an allergy to corn...at least that I am aware of..

Against the Grain baguettes are like food crack.......once you have them, it's tough to not buy them. I think it is the best gluten-free French-type bread out there. It is delicious grilled and used to make bruschetta.

HAHAHA!!!

Sometimes I go all out and roast garlic bulbs and let them cool and spread the soft

garlic with oil and melted butter all over the baguette before I lightly toast it.....

So, off to the store on the morrow!

Googles Community Regular

I make people describe to me what they are eating when they are eating something that would be yummy before I went gluten free. Then I get all specific with questions. I feel I am just helping them be more mindful of their eating. :P When I first went gluten free I would have cravings for gluten filled goodies when I got glutened. It made going by the bakery section at the grocery store pure torture. Luckiily that stopped after a couple years. Now I can see gluten filled food and 99% of the time I have no problem just passiing it by. That other one percent makes me search out my gluten free goodies.

Archived