This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lab Results. Platelets Dropped Again And Not Sure About Thyroid Levels

SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny Apprentice

I don't even know where to begin lol gluten-free and df. Hypothyroid, Vit d deficient, found out I was also anemic (low ferritin and b12 - 278) and my platelets have been low around 122. My last lab draw was in Aug and my platelets were 122. I just had labs again and they are at 98. He wants me to go to a hematologist and I'm getting a little scared. He mentioned hepatitis?!? How would I have gotten that?

I've been taking b12 and my number shot up to over 2000 :o so I'm going to cut back. I've always had problems with sleeping a lot and brain fog. When I started armour it helped a little then it would slowly come back same with the b12. I've been lazy about taking iron. I also kept trying to tell the dr that I thought I had problems with my adrenals and he ran a few tests I think to humor me. When I was seeing a chiro he did a saliva test and it showed I had low morning cortisol. So I started taking Jarrows Adrenal Optimizer and it helped with some more of my brain fog, I haven't had as many dizzy spells apon standing and I feel it's been helping with blood sugar swings. But lately I've been sleeping a lot again. Sorry if my thoughts are scattered I'm just trying to make sure I remember everything. Last blood draw I had him do a full thyroid panel. I asked for another one this time and he just ran my TSH and ft4. So he drew blood again to get my t3. Why won't they just listen the first time. Here are some of my labs. Please let me know what you think.

Vitamin D- 45 (range 30-100)

B12- >2000 (range 200-1100)

TSH - 2.88

FT4 - 0.93 (range 0.8-1.8)

Glucose Total - 96 (range 65-99)

WBC: 4.0 (3.8-10.8)

RBC: 3.9 (3.8-5.1)

HgB: 12.4 (11.7-15.5)

Hct: 35.6 (35-45)

MCV: 91 (80-100)

MCH: 31.7 (27-33)

MCHC: 34.8 (32-36)

MPV: 9.8 (7.5-11.5)

RDW: 12.9 (11-15)

Platelets: 98 (140-400)

Monocytes: 5.5 (1.7-9.3)

Granulocytes: 53.4 (42.2-75.2)

Lymphocyte: 1.6 (1.2-3.4)

Monocyte#: 0.2 (0.1-0.6)

Granulocyte#: 2.1 (1.4-6.5)

Lymphocytes %: 41.4 (20.5-51.1)

On the referral to the hematologist I read some of the symptoms they mentioned and some stood out to me lymphadenopath. Ears both TMs are bulging. Nasal mucosa is boggy, partially obscured by clear drainage and pale. Turbinates are markedly swollen bilaterally. I'm scared about all of this :( I also mentioned to him my fingers turn a pale bluish/purplish color when I get cold. He didn't say anything. When I looked on my referral it listed my current problems:

Abnormal GTT

Acne (ugh lol)

Acquired Hypothyroidism

Celiac Disease (my tests were negative but I'm so happy they put this. It's like confirmation I guess)

Disorder of the adrenal glands (I guess he was listening :) )

Malaise and fatigue

Near-syncope

Other specified disorder of the thyroid (I have no idea what this means)

Other vitamin b12 deficiency (there's more than 1?)

Raynaud's syndrome (and advice for this one? Just stay warm? Lol)

Thrombocytopenia

Thyroid nodule (biopsy came back negative)

Unspecified C (got MUCH better with armour)

Vitamin D deficiency

Sorry for the long post but any advice on all of this would be greatly appreciated. Especially in regards to the low platelets, thyroid, raynauds, and glucose. Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Findin my way Rookie

Hi SleepyBunny,

98 for a platelet count is low, but it's not dangerously low. I had ITP as a kid and my platelets were usually in the teens. NOT FUN!! Anyway, this could all be related to the b12 deficiency you were talking about. I know your blood serum level is over 2000 but that doesn't really mean anything. It's the amount of b12 (both active and nonactive) floating around in your blood. So I want to ask, what type of b12 were you taking? If it was cyanocobalamin it has to be converted to methylcobalamin and/or adenosylcobalamin for our bodies to use it. If your body is unable to convert the b12 it will float around in your blood and do nothing until it is excreted. If you were taking supplements right before testing it will raise your serum level too.

Also you absolutely MUST take folate (methyltetrahydrofolate is best) for b12 to work. They go hand in hand. Avoid folic or folinic acid as they have to be converted to 5-L MTHF for our bodies to use it.

B12 deficiencies can cause the brain fog, dizzy spells and fatigue. So can thyroid issues. You mentioned that these lessened after taking armour (which I'm assuming is the thyroid drug) but came back again. Your thyroid may have leveled out, but the b12 deficiency may still be there.

If b12 is the issue, with serum levels that high you would have what is called a "functional deficiency." Just make sure your supplement is a METHYLcobalamin sublingual. You want to hold that in your mouth for as long as possible, not chew it or slurp it down. And don't forget the MTHF folate. Good luck.

SleepyBunny Apprentice

I make sure not to take my thyroid med or any supplement before labs for that reason. I'm taking Source Naturals Advanced B-12 Complex. It's 400mcg of Folate as Folic Acid and 5mg of Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin. I've been taking 2 each morning sublingually. I pop them under my tongue and go back to sleep lol I was going to ask him to increase my armour. I'll wait until the t3 results come in. Maybe if they're still on the low side he won't be as nervous to increase it. He's a nurse practitioner. He's told me to go to an endo but I don't like endo's :/ thank you for responding!

nvsmom Community Regular

Your FT4 is still pretty low and in the bottom 15% of the normal range. From what I understand, most hypothyroid /Hashimoto's patients feel best when their FT4 is above 50% and closer to 75%; for you that would be 1.3 to about 1.6. My FT4 is just above where yours is (with synthroid) and I still feel pretty fatigued. Your TSH might do better near a 1.0 too; I know I was hypo at 2.6 but my doctor said I was normal... You might want your TPO Ab checked to see if your thyroid is under autoimmune attack. When it's under attack, you can swing between high and low TSH's which could explain your TSH not being really high; going on Armour or other thyroid hormones could help.

I had ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura) as a teen. My white blood cells targeted my platelets for destruction they passed through my spleen; it's an autommune disorder or it can be linked to other AI disorders like Lupus. My symptoms included petechia (tiny red purple spots on my skin), a lot of bruises, and incredibly heavy menstral flow. I was young and ignored my symptoms until I was so anemic I was fainting at work. My platelet count was down to to 2 (thousand) and I was low on blood. It is rare for it to get as low as that, I don't want to worry you.

Steroids were used to get my counts under control, along with gammaglobulin. Unfortunately my platelet counts dropped when not on treatment (and this was 20 years ago when treatmenst weren't as good) so they took out my spleen, which happily solved the problem.

Because you have a few AI disorders, I would request to get in to see a rheumatologist. Get an ANA test run along with other blood work that tests for Lupus, UCTD or MCTD, and Sjorgens. AI's tend to run in groups, and one groups often has Hashimotos, Celiac, Lupus, thrombocytopenia and the others I mentioned.

I personally have celiac, ITP, Hashis and suspect I have (mild) lupus so I would advise you to look into it. I would also do some thyroid antibody testing and consider T4 and/or T3 supplementation. I'm not medically trained though, this is just based on my own experiences.

This is a thrombocytopenia support forum that might give you more info:

Open Original Shared Link

Best wishes to you. I hope you feel better soon and get it all figured out. :)

Archived