Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Is A Good Nondairy Buttertype Product. For Baking?

5 posts in this topic

My aunt told me the name and now I forgot? Please remind me what else I could use in cookies, pancakes, toast etc.

Thanks.

Ads by Google:

My aunt told me the name and now I forgot? Please remind me what else I could use in cookies, pancakes, toast etc.

Thanks.

There's actually a lot of options. You can go old-school and use lard. There is palm shortening,

my personal fave for greasing pans and biscuit-y type baking. Some people use actual butter

imitation products, like Earth Balance. A lot of people are finding success with using coconut oil

as a direct butter replacement in a lot of baking recipes and for cooking as well.

Thanks.

"Smart balance" or "I can't believe its not butter" both with olive oil is what I use and is well tolerated by myself and is dairy/gluten free

You would be surprised with what you can make with "just" olive oil. :)

The word you may be thinking of is ghee. All you do is melt butter and skim off the milk solids (that is where the lactose resides). You cannot replace butter or ghee one for one with most fats unless they are solid at room temperature.